Microphone Flickers on and off

Sooper1337Sooper1337 Join Date: 2009-03-21 Member: 66836Members
hey when i try to talk in game people keep saying that my voice is cutting out. and when i do voice_loopback 1 it shows it like i keep pressing and letting off my talk key. and is causing the box that pops up to flicker on and off. my mic seems to be working fine. when i test my mic in the voice tab of the options it is fine. and when i record anything on my computer its fine. so that leads me to believe that it is something to do with NS messing up. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Try firing up a LAN server and see how it reacts there...

Also make sure you are using PTT...
  • Sooper1337Sooper1337 Join Date: 2009-03-21 Member: 66836Members
    ive started my own server and joined a friends it doesnt help. and what is PTT?
    if you mean push to talk then yes i am.
    when i do debug it shows this in my console when i hold down my mic button.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->CVoiceStatus::UpdateServerState: no change
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent -1 talking = 1
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent -2 talking = 1
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent 1 talking = 1
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent 1 talking = 0
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent 1 talking = 1
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateServerState: no change
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent -1 talking = 0
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent 1 talking = 0
    CVoiceStatus::UpdateSpeakerStatus: ent -2 t<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Does the mic work fine in other apps like Sound Recorder?
    What key are you binding to?
    Have you tried binding to a different key?

Maybe your keyboard is borked or you have some other app setup with a hot key that is conflicting?
    it works fine in everything but NS.
    i have it binded to alt. then i tried binding it to f and it still does it.
    if it was something else would it conflict with everything else that uses my mic as well?
    and i doubt it is my keyboard because all my other PTT things work fine.
    Did you try going to "options" in NS and the tab "Voice" (?) and play around with some settings. Maybe something in there will help but the main goal is to tweak something a little to get it to allow for you to hit "Apply" so you know all the settings are re-written to whatever it writes too.

No clue, really.
    seem like every time i edit the settings they change back to what they were before i changed them. or it will set them to random settings.
    i went into different games to see if it did the same thing and it seems to only do it in half life 1 games. it worked fine in source games.
    ok ive changed my rates and now when i create a server my mic works fine but if i join someone else it messes up.
    Weird, What is your rate set to now? To lazy to verify but I think something like 20000 is normal.

Let us know if you figure it out.

-
    don't know why this would help but:
    On cable?
    Router?
    Sound card?

[Some settings I have in my config, who knows if they do anything...]
    _snd_mixahead "0.1"
    voice_avggain "0.5" // Average gain to apply. Too low, too jarring, to high, too soft.
    voice_clientdebug "0"
    voice_dsound "1"
    voice_eax "0"
    voice_enable "1" // Enables voice.
    voice_fadeouttime "0.1" // How YOUR voice fades in/out when talking.
    voice_forcemicrecord "1"
    voice_inputfromfile "0"
    voice_loopback "1"
    voice_maxgain "5" // Maximum gain to apply. Gain softens sound, less hard noises.
    voice_modenable "1"
    voice_overdrive "2" // Lowers other sound when someone speaks.
    voice_overdrivefadetime "0.4" // Time during which overdrive settings fade in and out.
    voice_profile "0"
    voice_recordtofile "0"
    voice_scale "1" // VOICE ONLY volume multiplier (for other players I think)
    voice_showchannels "0"
    voice_showincoming "0"
    volume "0.8"
  • FraxinusFraxinus Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63783Members, Constellation
    I have this same problem, I joined an empty server to test my new headest and it flickers in and out. It is push to talk but I held it down until i finished speaking.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724773:date=Aug 24 2009, 01:17 PM:name=Fraxinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fraxinus @ Aug 24 2009, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have this same problem, I joined an empty server to test my new headest and it flickers in and out. It is push to talk but I held it down until i finished speaking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Empty server is not a LAN server.

Fire up your OWN listen server (preferably marked as LAN) and test it out. This will tell you if it network issues or not.