Not That Im Getting Impatient But.

Matt TreckMatt Treck Join Date: 2008-09-27 Member: 65085Members
edited August 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
So, the game releases in fall right?

When the hell is the alpha???!!!

i figured it would be early June/July, and now its August

EDIT: i lied im getting impatient, i want to play ze game!

Comments

• Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited August 2009
    PAX.

Also, nanites.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited August 2009
    The game will launch when it's ready.
    Dates are all well and good, but development time cannot be held to perfect scale.

Still 2? months till release, plenty of time for an alpha between now and then.
  • 7th.Wrath7th.Wrath Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64363Members
    I'm betting on a Halloween release.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722404:date=Aug 12 2009, 10:15 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Aug 12 2009, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game will launch when it's ready.
    Dates are all well and good, but development time cannot be held to perfect scale.

Still 2? months till release, plenty of time for an alpha between now and then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about the beta?
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I want a long alpha and a long beta. But starting soon!

I want to play as soon as posible but also want to have the best chance possible for the community to influence development in a positive way.

I don't mind release date delays.
    <!--quoteo(post=1722420:date=Aug 13 2009, 11:57 AM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Aug 13 2009, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722420"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about the beta?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    beta comes after alpha.

Could be far enough along that we won't have an alpha and we'll go straight into mass-testing of beta. Who knows.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    If any form of NS2 gets released before the end of the year I will be very very pleasantly surprised.
  • FieldweebleFieldweeble Join Date: 2004-06-08 Member: 29181Members
    I got the armory reveal email today and thought, at first glance, it was alpha time... but alas :(
  • DalzigDalzig Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67629Members
    "Fall 2009" does not mean "The first day of Fall 2009."

Just keep being patient. :)
  • XainXain Join Date: 2007-09-13 Member: 62281Members
    I cant wait either. But waiting is half the fun.
    <!--quoteo(post=1722460:date=Aug 13 2009, 01:56 PM:name=Xain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xain @ Aug 13 2009, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I cant wait either. But waiting is half the fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    =)

Gives me more time to get my mapping skills up a bit more with hammer come Alpha tools time :P
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    actually it does sound like ur getting impatient.

And it would be cool to release on halloween.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Yep , you'll need some patience alright.

I expect the alpha to come some time after the fade reveal. Which should happen in fall 2009...
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    My guess: the release gets pushed back to Q1 2010 because of modern warfare 2 ;)
    After all that's the cool thing to do right now as a developer/publisher.
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722582:date=Aug 13 2009, 07:00 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Aug 13 2009, 07:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My guess: the release gets pushed back to Q1 2010 because of modern warfare 2 ;)
    After all that's the cool thing to do right now as a developer/publisher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because NS2 and modern warfare are on the same playing field
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    i just want a tiny snippet of in game action so that i can just sleep at night. all this meet the alien, meet the armory videos is just like torture! On top of that they sent me an email and i was gettin all excited thinking it was alpha...
  • HoundDawgHoundDawg Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3362Members
    Let's be realistic here. There is absolutely no way NS2 will be ready in 2009. In fact, I seriously doubt we'll see an alpha until 3rd Qtr 2010.

The team is barely working on the models and coding. In fact, they don't have all the answers yet, so every reveal they keep asking for feedback. The initial maps are obviously not close to ready, since they're still working on the model props, textures, and such to be used in the maps.

Yes, it's a small team and quality takes time. But, they should have been more realistic with their timeframe with the fans here. Luring everyone to pre-purchase to get into Alpha... providing a Fall release schedule, was purely wrong. I sure hope they're able to stretch out all of this pre-purchase money for another 12 months. If they can, great, I'll wait for a better game next year, than a frantic rush job.

Yes, it's going to be a frustrating long wait, but you're going to need to be far more patient than you are now.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1722611:date=Aug 13 2009, 03:37 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Aug 13 2009, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's be realistic here. There is absolutely no way NS2 will be ready in 2009. In fact, I seriously doubt we'll see an alpha until 3rd Qtr 2010.

The team is barely working on the models and coding. In fact, they don't have all the answers yet, so every reveal they keep asking for feedback. The initial maps are obviously not close to ready, since they're still working on the model props, textures, and such to be used in the maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why does everyone assume that the only stuff we have finished is what we show on the blog or in a reveal? We have piles of models/textures/animations finished that we haven't shown off yet, since just to do a simple blog post like the armory is still a significant amount of time that is a distraction from working on the game. The armory concept/model/texture were done at the end of last year, we just hadn't had a chance to show it off yet.

And the other assumption, that things like maps can't be developed concurrently with the art assets, is also false. We already have plenty of textures/props to start mapping with, and even without those you can begin layout design, greyboxing, and rough block in stuff on a map.

--Cory
    Cory, I understand that a lot of that can be done at the same time, yet with the trickle of news... along with the questions.... to be on a fall release schedule I would have expected most of the questions to have been brought up many months ago, the development cycle locked and at this point just adding a little more polish or minor issue fixes. All of the indicators that I see being presented... along the timeline... I'm left with the realistic feeling that the game is far from where we all were hoping it would be.

Don't get me wrong, that teaser video was amazing and I can't wait to see the tools that mappers will be using. Overall though, I just don't see enough being released to give me confidence that you guys are on schedule.
  • PolskaPolska Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10782Members
    I don't expect the release to be this year. If it is, I will just be pleasantly surprised. Waiting patiently to get my hands on anything :).
  • VyshusVyshus Join Date: 2005-06-13 Member: 53826Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722649:date=Aug 13 2009, 12:35 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Aug 13 2009, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cory, I understand that a lot of that can be done at the same time, yet with the trickle of news... along with the questions.... to be on a fall release schedule I would have expected most of the questions to have been brought up many months ago, the development cycle locked and at this point just adding a little more polish or minor issue fixes. All of the indicators that I see being presented... along the timeline... I'm left with the realistic feeling that the game is far from where we all were hoping it would be.

Don't get me wrong, that teaser video was amazing and I can't wait to see the tools that mappers will be using. Overall though, I just don't see enough being released to give me confidence that you guys are on schedule.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? Maybe a comparison would help you out.

Do you know everything that the military has? Take the aircraft for example, stealth jets were around forever before the public even knew about it. You can't even imagine the advances in technology the military has and is actively using without the public's knowledge. Unknown Worlds is the same with the development of NS2. They show us a very minimal amount of what is actually happening. A perfect example is Cory saying that the armory was done at the end of LAST YEAR.

So RELAX and understand that they can't just throw information around in the public eye. I'm confident that NS2 is on track.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Go do a real project sometime and let us know how your timeline guessing skills work out.

If anything, I sometimes wish they'd disappear and just crank it out instead of bothering to actually post a response in this forum. Honestly, you guys have very little clue on how press releases and development of something of this scale works.
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    From what I've been reading into with the twitter feed, they must be reaching the stage of having something playable for the alpha rather than just a toolset which I personally think is probably a very good thing. They've got enough assests in place now to start tweaking abilites, stats, damage, etc, that they must be quite far through the development cycle. I'd love to see how the guys wrangle out the numbers for every single item in the game dps/health it must be a long process and I think that is something that the alpha will be used for, with PAX coming up something is in the pipeline at least!
    I'm referring to things like this:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're still not sure what his alt-fire for Bite is going to be. ... Please give us some suggestions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's great that they are asking for suggestions... but it also shows what I mentioned before, clearly not ready, without a full design either.

FYI, I do work with full development cycles, and I also have experience with other game companies and their schedules. This "appears" not ready.

It's not only just the skulk, look at the taser and a few other things. What happened with the PODcasts? Sure the armory was done awhile ago, and perhaps they have a lot of work done. I just see a lot of support requests for more purchases and not enough communication output to instill confidence that they are on time. Maps... sure they've been working on them. Last I saw (outside what we see in the teaser video) was a podcast with concept art images. If the game was truly close to even an alpha release, we would be seeing a lot more finalized content, even a PODcast of a map walkthrough or something.

Whatever guys... I'll revisit this thread in a few months. I just don't have high hopes of seeing anything before Christmas. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm also trying to be realistic here.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Patience is a virtue.
    I'd rather wait to get a polished final product than play an earlier and bugged alpha that kills all the expectations and hopes we've putted into NS2.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    UWE should hire a pr-agent who answers all these stupid questions about dealines and pointless complaints ;)
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm not really sure what to believe at this point.

I mean that the game seem to be in Alpha stage ATM but I can't disagree with that the dev team seem to keep informations about the games current situation from us.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722668:date=Aug 13 2009, 12:41 PM:name=HoundDawg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoundDawg @ Aug 13 2009, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm referring to things like this:

It's great that they are asking for suggestions... but it also shows what I mentioned before, clearly not ready, without a full design either.

FYI, I do work with full development cycles, and I also have experience with other game companies and their schedules. This "appears" not ready.

It's not only just the skulk, look at the taser and a few other things. What happened with the PODcasts? Sure the armory was done awhile ago, and perhaps they have a lot of work done. I just see a lot of support requests for more purchases and not enough communication output to instill confidence that they are on time. Maps... sure they've been working on them. Last I saw (outside what we see in the teaser video) was a podcast with concept art images. If the game was truly close to even an alpha release, we would be seeing a lot more finalized content, even a PODcast of a map walkthrough or something.

Whatever guys... I'll revisit this thread in a few months. I just don't have high hopes of seeing anything before Christmas. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm also trying to be realistic here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It feels like they're at the point where they are churning out features. All the backend stuff is done, they are simply populating their game space. Also, considering how they built the system, it would seem like adding features like this would be fairly painless. Their design goal was to let people easily tweak features and not have them baked deep into the code. So, it's the asset portion of development. Next steps are string it all together and test/tweak.

So, while it does seem a bit late at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we have an alpha by the end of the year. Maybe even a Beta. Unless those are extremely polished, I doubt a final product by the end of the year, but that's just my guess. It could be much easier and further along than that.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722406:date=Aug 12 2009, 09:20 PM:name=7th.Wrath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (7th.Wrath @ Aug 12 2009, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm betting on a Halloween release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He speaks the truth... how appropriate, too. :)
This discussion has been closed.