Development Blog Update - Armory Reveal

Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - Armory Reveal here

Comments

• jamesbchjamesbch Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28035Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    Wow really. It has really change the way it looks like. I don't know how a lots of players will interact with it because of this deployment system. I hope it's not annoying and slow to buy etc... and won't bug if it's near a wall. What about repairing the armor, does that mean the welder wouldn't be the only one to be able to repair the armor ? But by the way I love the rendering in the engine it's very nice and impressive ! Go on like that !
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    It looks a lot like the suicide booth which is my avatar.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Aww... the poor thing has the shivers. :)

Somehow I have an image of a marine getting in this thing, a skulk parasiting it, and then chuckling as it slams shut on the marine, doing minor damage.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    awww its almost cute how it inquisitively waits for a marine to come and use it, then huddles shyly when danger shows up. I approve, beautifully rendered and animated. Still dont know if i approve of the whole marines buy their own junk now, but eh I'll wait for alpha before i pass judgement.
  • DrChaosdeathDrChaosdeath Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68081Members
    Its really givin those free hugs out
  • BulletcatcherBulletcatcher Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33823Members
    That looks sweet! I really love how you designed this to fit in with the rest of the games features and levels. I also like how you changed it from the original armory to this more realistic design! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what's next! The only problem I can see with this is that someone would be running around in circles around that making the arms fold out and in constantly... It may also become good place to hide for skulks on certain maps.
  • asdhasdh Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67874Members
    max players use same time 4 y suppossed armorys welds armor rine sounds good and funny =D
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    I would bet the animation and sides are just for looks, i bet as many people as can get near can "use" it at the same time.

Either way, looks *fantastic* Seriously. Very much inline with the new, more built out, more beefy military look of the NS2 Frontiersmen.

I do hope the weapon buying is quick, because even the ammo getting in NS1 was a problem with people "humping" the armory for too long rather then doing what they were suppose to :P
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    Is there going to be an advanced armoury? If so will the model change at all?

It was quite annoying as an alien to be unable to tell if the armoury had been upgraded at all, a small visual clue would be nice. Not sure what, maybe the hologram on top of it or something, it would be cool if the hologram flashed between the different weapons available there.

This does look amazing and I really like how you've kept the marine style from NS but improved upon it greatly, this game is going to look amazing!
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722355:date=Aug 12 2009, 06:47 PM:name=asdh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asdh @ Aug 12 2009, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->max players use same time 4 y suppossed armorys welds armor rine sounds good and funny =D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    WOW, what?
    Was that a copy and pasted foreign language to english translation from an online website?
  • ParasiteParasite Join Date: 2002-04-13 Member: 431Members
    I love the aesthetics of it. I love the scanner arms that pop out. For me the animation is too "organic"? When the segments slide apart everything looks great and then it suddenly shivers and the arms fly open in a cutesy way and then shake around some more. It seems like it should behave more machine like, very mechanical and rigid. Something that seems to reflect armor plated toughness that a military machine needs. Precise movements, sudden stops, just more mechanical. Even if it has a more futuristic type of movement where the motions are all very smooth and flowing, but still very precise and deliberate. Overall love the concept as usual, just like to see the animations be more reflective of my expectations for a marine structure.
  • ratclawratclaw Join Date: 2008-06-12 Member: 64433Members
    Will it allow the gun to be reloaded while the marine is loading up on ammo? That always annoyed me in NS1 when I had to stop picking up ammo just to finish reloading even though I could start just fine.

What's the plan going to be for armory humpers? If there are only four slots it could get annoying when the half-dead marine has to wait in line behind the newly-spawn that want more ammo.

Other than that, pretty cool model.
  • FreddehFreddeh Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18520Members, Constellation
    Impressive, I approve!

I assume buying weapons will be as easy as a couple keystrokes though, or at least I hope it will be so you can get in and out fast (which is still faster than waiting for comms to drop stuff XD).
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I like it, but does that mean that you'll need to have a very precise position to use it? I often justy take half a clip of ammo on my way out of the armory, I sometimes take ammo while crouching, I position myself in a way I can take ammo while keeping an eye on the field...

Not that I mind being incapacitated during weaponry selection (much like during gestation actually) but I can see people queuing up around the armory, especially when someone's taking his sweet old time on the slot nearest the IP.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    The model looks great and I like the weapon on top, excellent for beginners.

I'm not sure how the whole extending thing is going to work when you can walk up to it at any angle, it looks like it would only make sense when walked directly up to 4 of the sides. Mind you lots of things don't make sense in games so who cares.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very pretty, but it really sounds like this was designed with the art foremost in mind rather than the gameplay use.

That was a fairly long deploy. Which is a far fetch from the current armory, which has no gameplay deploy time (can be used the instant it's built).

It would be pretty annoying if it kept deploying whenever you ran past it.

Having both a maximum of 4 marines using it at a time seems like it could get annoying, even moreso when the possibility of deploy/undeploy comes in.

The armory has to be kept away from the walls then? And being so large, this could be some pretty serious ring-around-the-armory for aliens.

Does this mean that MS' will be much larger in general now?

New guns are 'built' into the marines hands? Seems too techy for the NS world, and won't that be some hardcore additional animations? I guess you could use a shader or script (like elec does), but it still seems like the implementation will be difficult.

It's definitely pretty, but it seems like you deviated so much from the original that you're just tossing in innumerable new gameplay issues that will have to be balanced.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Ooo - looking nice!

DO WANT MOAR! \=)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1722365:date=Aug 12 2009, 05:00 PM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StixNStonz @ Aug 12 2009, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having both a maximum of 4 marines using it at a time seems like it could get annoying, even moreso when the possibility of deploy/undeploy comes in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    An unlimited number of players can use the armory at the same time and you can use it from any angle; the "stations" are just decorative.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    looks great! Is the multi-angle screenshot and video representative of the lighting/etc... in game?
  • HypergripHypergrip Suspect Germany Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9689Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Reminds me of the Tribes series - wich is a good thing!
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    I'm afraid I'm possibly a design against function person and think the pad thing should be implemented. Maybe make each unit cheaper so you could have several to use, that would also make marine spawn a more interesting environment. It be even cooler if they were modular and you could attach several to each other, like a bank of them, although this is moving to the world of modding.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    edited August 2009
    Looks great.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIrGgo1oo9c&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIrGgo1oo9c...feature=related</a>
    Even has the Armory and some other models that looks like the real deal.
  • yEnSyEnS Join Date: 2003-06-26 Member: 17722Members
    edited August 2009
    So... Can I reload / buy while I am on alert for aliens? It's like the CS buy HUD?

Are there credits for each marine to buy? How can I get credits?

Great model and animations by the way :P
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Looks totally awesome.

For advanced armory, they could just change the hologram at the top, by adding an icon or changing its color.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    edited August 2009
    Nifty.. i like how it 'scans'.

does this mean only 4 peeps can buys stuff at a time??

do the doors have to be open to buy stuff? like if someone blocks?
  • General_WarhammerGeneral_Warhammer Join Date: 2009-02-14 Member: 66414Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722353:date=Aug 12 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Bulletcatcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bulletcatcher @ Aug 12 2009, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That looks sweet! I really love how you designed this to fit in with the rest of the games features and levels. I also like how you changed it from the original armory to this more realistic design! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what's next! The only problem I can see with this is that someone would be running around in circles around that making the arms fold out and in constantly... It may also become good place to hide for skulks on certain maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I second this.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    To make it super quick to be able to get out into the field, maybe when you are in the respawn que you can "Pre-Order" the weapons you want so when you walk up to the armory you are instantly equiped with the kit you chose.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722367:date=Aug 13 2009, 12:06 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 13 2009, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An unlimited number of players can use the armory at the same time and you can use it from any angle; the "stations" are just decorative.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if the doors opening around the marine are decorative, maybe it would be better for the doors to be virtual as well. so then they can be around the marine no matter what angle, and it will keep the decorative feel. instead of marines half in the doors.

i know its been designed. but just an idea if you have time.. which you dont.. nm.. gimme the game :D :P
  • Jackson3113Jackson3113 Join Date: 2008-05-16 Member: 64272Members
    Please don't run with the holographic-gun-on-top idea, it looks gimmicky and childish enough in the concept, i can only see it subtracting from the lovely NS look by being there. If players cant figure out what the armory is just by seeing the thing and how players interact with it then it hasn't been designed right and slapping a huge glowing icon on top is not the solution.
  • General_WarhammerGeneral_Warhammer Join Date: 2009-02-14 Member: 66414Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722382:date=Aug 12 2009, 04:44 PM:name=Raven_XI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raven_XI @ Aug 12 2009, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To make it super quick to be able to get out into the field, maybe when you are in the respawn que you can "Pre-Order" the weapons you want so when you walk up to the armory you are instantly equiped with the kit you chose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats a really good idea. This would allow marines to quickly gear up and head to battle.