Starcraft2 delayed

locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">is NS2 next?</div>Please don't take this the wrong way. It's almost the beginning of "Fall 09" and we haven't seen an alpha yet. I'm not complaining; I want the game done right and if that takes a delay that's fine by me. I think that if you're going to make an announcement, now's your best opportunity. I just don't want to hear about a delay midway through October or November. I'd much rather hear it sooner rather than later and I think most of the community would agree.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and you have reasonable confidence of hitting your release window. It's just a concern I thought I'd voice.

Comments

• SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Why is Starcraft 2 mentioned at all? To be more accurate, half of the entire 2009 holiday releases have been pushed in 2010. Mostly because Modern Warfare 2 is going to sell like gang busters.

I think NS2 will be coming this year, maybe even late fall. It really all depends on how much resources they have available to them.
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    My guess is that they're still confident on their ETA, but are forced to delay later because of unforeseen hold-ups.
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    edited August 2009
    In my opinion it feels way to early to release NS2 this year. It's august and not even an alpha is out yet, and we've only seen two of the 5 alien classes.

Ofcourse, they haven't shown much. Maybe they've done more than we think
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    I don't see it coming out this year, which is fine, but I at least hope they can manage to get an alpha out in the next couple months along with a tools and hopefully beta by the end of the year.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I expect the alpha and beta out this year. They might squeeze in the release by this year although realistically speaking, im expecting it either jan or feb.
  • iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
    I think i speak for everyone in saying we've waited a long time for this a few months wont kill us now. Heh better to do it right in one then stumble and disapoint us all isnt it?
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited August 2009
    To me the alpha release is much more interesting and exciting! Once the alpha is out we get to PLAY! After that beta and release will be just patches (with fixes, changes, and added content).

<!--quoteo(post=1721888:date=Aug 10 2009, 04:27 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 10 2009, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is Starcraft 2 mentioned at all? To be more accurate, half of the entire 2009 holiday releases have been pushed in 2010. Mostly because Modern Warfare 2 is going to sell like gang busters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You watch "Invisible Walls" too?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think the bigger question here is...do UWE have enough cash or investors who would be willing to fund development, if it's release did run over into the new year?

Alpha for Summer 09 is looking more and more unlikely, but I do hope they prove me wrong :)
    Well at the moment a great deal of there funds is being increased by everyone buying there pre order, which could give them a bit more time to develop the game. does anyone know if the games getting a retail release? as the visual advertising from seeing it in store would help boost the community and obviously sales.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1721979:date=Aug 11 2009, 12:30 PM:name=iPanda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iPanda @ Aug 11 2009, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1721979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well at the moment a great deal of there funds is being increased by everyone buying there pre order, which could give them a bit more time to develop the game. does anyone know if the games getting a retail release? as the visual advertising from seeing it in store would help boost the community and obviously sales.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People keep saying the same things "we could give them a bit more time", " there funds is being increased"; in reality both statements are utter garbage.

It's not up to the public or a buyer to allow UWE time to develop their game. You're buying a product, if it gets delayed or released at a time unsuitable to you then tough. That's called being a consumer.

The funds pot essentially is not being increased. It would be extremely risky to be running on empty then living off sold product fee's in order to keep afloat. The implications of doing such and then failing are so much more massive that you would rather fail in the first instance.
    I wasn't stating it as a complaint about the game release date. but purely on the simple logic that obviously the pre-order sales if they so wished could be used to fund further development beyond there original release date