Questions on buying NS2

TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
Even though I stopped playing NS, I still hold it as one of the, if not the best online game I have ever played. Obviously with news of NS2 I've been excited about it and waiting but the problem I have is my computer is 7 years old. Even during the NS1 days I had constant FPS problems, so seeing as NS2 is far more advanced I fear that my computer won't be able to handle all the improvements. At the same time I don't want to miss out on the black marine armor. So what I would like to know mostly is since after you purchase this game how will it be handled? I'm assuming no cd, but will you be able to download it multiple times like you can with steam games? Say I download it on this computer, and I end up buying a new one, will I be able to download it on that as well, or is it a one time thing? Another thing is will the black armor be offered in some form after the game is released? I'm assuming its not but doesn't hurt to ask.

Biggest problem I have though is getting a new computer, considering how expensive a good machine is, and that I need to take care of a few priorities before I can spend that kind of money on a new rig..is the biggest thing holding me back, who knows when I will be able to throw money at a new one. Anyways thanks for your help.

Comments

• noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718330:date=Jul 20 2009, 03:58 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 20 2009, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even though I stopped playing NS, I still hold it as one of the, if not the best online game I have ever played. Obviously with news of NS2 I've been excited about it and waiting but the problem I have is my computer is 7 years old. Even during the NS1 days I had constant FPS problems, so seeing as NS2 is far more advanced I fear that my computer won't be able to handle all the improvements. At the same time I don't want to miss out on the black marine armor. So what I would like to know mostly is since after you purchase this game how will it be handled? I'm assuming no cd, but will you be able to download it multiple times like you can with steam games? Say I download it on this computer, and I end up buying a new one, will I be able to download it on that as well, or is it a one time thing? Another thing is will the black armor be offered in some form after the game is released? I'm assuming its not but doesn't hurt to ask.

Biggest problem I have though is getting a new computer, considering how expensive a good machine is, and that I need to take care of a few priorities before I can spend that kind of money on a new rig..is the biggest thing holding me back, who knows when I will be able to throw money at a new one. Anyways thanks for your help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here's my opinions in no particular order:
    1) a good machine today will be significantly cheaper in 1 year. I bought my current computer (in parts) last year (and a half ago) with a budget of 1000 USD, it was 2nd generation then, but it still handles any current game with ease. It laughs at the specs Charlie has put out for NS2. And it would be significantly cheaper if I had waited until now to buy it. I'm assuming right now that it will fill my needs for the next several years, if I take good care of it. What I'm saying is, a new computer purchase doesn't have to be that expensive, if you use good consumer practice.

2) The black armor is for preorder. There may be other perks later on (expansions?) but I doubt you'd be able to get it later. If you find your computer won't run NS2, you'll still own the game (on Steam) for when you manage to get a newer computer.

3) HL1 was notoriously retarded about using modern hardware. It's an old game. It may happen that although you had problems with NS1, NS2 will run better, or at least not worse. Personally, I've never had high stable FPS in NS1, not even on my current computer.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Wow a 1000 dollars? I was hoping to spend about 400-500 tops..even that is going deep in my pockets. Also I didn't know it was going to be on steam so knowing that gives me a bit of relief, thanks for the information.

And yeah.. Hl1 was pretty bad with new hardware, although when I tried HL2/CS2 I still had bad fps, but within reason of course since I basically have the requirements while with HL1 I had far beyond the requirements..
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718330:date=Jul 20 2009, 04:58 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 20 2009, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even though I stopped playing NS, I still hold it as one of the, if not the best online game I have ever played. Obviously with news of NS2 I've been excited about it and waiting but the problem I have is my computer is 7 years old. Even during the NS1 days I had constant FPS problems, so seeing as NS2 is far more advanced I fear that my computer won't be able to handle all the improvements. At the same time I don't want to miss out on the black marine armor. So what I would like to know mostly is since after you purchase this game how will it be handled? I'm assuming no cd, but will you be able to download it multiple times like you can with steam games? Say I download it on this computer, and I end up buying a new one, will I be able to download it on that as well, or is it a one time thing? Another thing is will the black armor be offered in some form after the game is released? I'm assuming its not but doesn't hurt to ask.

Biggest problem I have though is getting a new computer, considering how expensive a good machine is, and that I need to take care of a few priorities before I can spend that kind of money on a new rig..is the biggest thing holding me back, who knows when I will be able to throw money at a new one. Anyways thanks for your help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure you will be able to download the game client numerous amount of times. The worst case scenario and I do mean worst case, would be to have an install limit. Even then you usually get 3 installs and then can call to get more installations. As long as you keep your key for the new computer you'd be fine.

I doubt the black armor would be available after the game is out. It's kind of one of the perks for pre-ordering the SE. It wouldn't be fair to those who pre-ordered the game for $40 to get the armor and then have them give anyone who buys the game the special armor after the game is out.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, mouse, keyboard and of course, an internet connection. We are working hard to make sure NS2 runs well on average hardware without having to upgrade your machine! We will be releasing NS2 in the fall of 2009 (Northern Hemisphere).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the game stays true to those specs, it wouldn't cost you much to get a machine that could run the game at the max settings. Probably like $500.
    Yeah that makes sense about the armor.. does anyone know when the offer ends?? And about the specs, even though those are pretty low, the next game I want to get is Wh40k Online and not much has been revealed yet, so when I build my computer I want to make sure I have more then enough specs to run that game flawlessly.
  • SovereignceSovereignce Join Date: 2009-07-18 Member: 68182Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718330:date=Jul 20 2009, 03:58 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 20 2009, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even though I stopped playing NS, I still hold it as one of the, if not the best online game I have ever played. Obviously with news of NS2 I've been excited about it and waiting but the problem I have is my computer is 7 years old. Even during the NS1 days I had constant FPS problems, so seeing as NS2 is far more advanced I fear that my computer won't be able to handle all the improvements. At the same time I don't want to miss out on the black marine armor. So what I would like to know mostly is since after you purchase this game how will it be handled? I'm assuming no cd, but will you be able to download it multiple times like you can with steam games? Say I download it on this computer, and I end up buying a new one, will I be able to download it on that as well, or is it a one time thing? Another thing is will the black armor be offered in some form after the game is released? I'm assuming its not but doesn't hurt to ask.

When i bought my pre-order copy of NS2 they emailed me a CD key, i assume they way it will be handled upon release is you will go to steam then click add steam game, then enter your CD key and boom you will have it off steam just like anything else. now do i have any proof of this? no except for the fact that they said they would be releasing their game via steam and it makes the most sense to me.
  • DalzigDalzig Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67629Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1718392:date=Jul 21 2009, 01:47 AM:name=Sovereignce)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sovereignce @ Jul 21 2009, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><br />When i bought my pre-order copy of NS2 they emailed me a CD key, i assume they way it will be handled upon release is you will go to steam then click add steam game, then enter your CD key and boom you will have it off steam just like anything else. now do i have any proof of this? no except for the fact that they said they would be releasing their game via steam and it makes the most sense to me.<br /><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This will only happen if Valve lets it happen. They've done it for themselves and big companies before. Whether they'll do it for UNW? No one knows.<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Sicbud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sicbud)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the game stays true to those specs, it wouldn't cost you much to get a machine that could run the game at the max settings. Probably like $500.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Minimum Specs have no bearing on what the Recommended or Maximum specs are going to be. It could just scale down very well.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Thegivingtree, <a href="http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Gaming_Machine" target="_blank">http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Gaming_Machine</a> check how much one of the 750 rigs costs in your country. Cheapest way to get a good rig is to buy good bang-for-buck components cheaply and custom build (and if you have the know how I guess OC).
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718615:date=Jul 22 2009, 06:41 PM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 22 2009, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thegivingtree, <a href="http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Gaming_Machine" target="_blank">http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Gaming_Machine</a> check how much one of the 750 rigs costs in your country. Cheapest way to get a good rig is to buy good bang-for-buck components cheaply and custom build (and if you have the know how I guess OC).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ooo - nice link. =)

I'll be sure to hit that up come Tax Return within the next month or two at most (when I put it in)
  • Nednerb2000Nednerb2000 Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10473Members
    As much as I appreciate the work done on NS1 and enjoy the game and cant wait for NS2, I would really like to see what I am buying, in other words, can we see what this Black version marine look likes versus the standard looking marine? I think we deserve to see the comparisons especially if we are forking out another $20 USD for it.
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1718624:date=Jul 22 2009, 04:50 PM:name=Nednerb2000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nednerb2000 @ Jul 22 2009, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As much as I appreciate the work done on NS1 and enjoy the game and cant wait for NS2, I would really like to see what I am buying, in other words, can we see what this Black version marine look likes versus the standard looking marine? I think we deserve to see the comparisons especially if we are forking out another $20 USD for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The black armor marine alone isn't worth the extra $20, early access and supporting your favorite indie game company are.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    I think the special edition is more about supporting them, getting your hands on the first possible release, and then the armour. I definitely didn't buy the special edition for the armour.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1718649:date=Jul 22 2009, 03:39 PM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 22 2009, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the special edition is more about supporting them, getting your hands on the first possible release, and then the armour. I definitely didn't buy the special edition for the armour.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:lawngreen--><span style="color:lawngreen"><!--/coloro-->
    Alpha access and eternal gratitude FTW!
    <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    I check newegg.com every now and then, only thing is I never built a computer so I am a bit hesitant on actually doing that but it saves a lot.. of money. That 750 dollar one doesn't seem to bad fut its a bit to costly for me.
    Building a computer is in reality quite easy. Just plugging things into the mother board and putting it inside the case. I'm sure there are plenty of tuts on the web.
  • DruBoDruBo Back In Beige Join Date: 2002-02-06 Member: 172Members, NS1 Playtester
    There are always good deals on hardware, they don't really go away. When you have some extra cash, look around, or ask someone you trust for help. NS2 probably won't be as low-spec as Flayra hopes ( NS1 certainly didn't work on his boat anchor laptop as he had planned) but it won't be terribly high-spec either, so you could upgrade any point between now and when it comes out and get something perfectly reasonable for playing the game.