If Aliens only have 3 Abilities each for NS2.

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
edited July 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Based on NS1 design.</div>What do you all think?

-With Movement Abilities as Weapon Slots-

H = Hive or Tier or Slot.

*Skulk*
H1: Bite.
H2: Parasite.
H3: Leap.

*Gorge*
H1: Spit.
H2: Heal Spray.
H3: Web.

*Lerk/Scorpian Hovars Without Flapping*
H2: Spore+Umbra (Combined into 1 ability.)
H3: Primal Scream.

*Fade*
H1: Swipe.
H2: Blink.
H3: Metabolize.

*Onos*
H1: Gore.
H2: Bone Shield.
H3: Stomp.

-With Movement Abilities Untied to Weapon Slots-

H = Hive or Tier or Slot.
MA = Movement Ability.
NW = New Weapon.

*Skulk*
H2: Parasite.
H3: NW.
MA: Leap.

*Gorge*
H1: Spit.
H2: Heal Spray.
H3: Web.

*Lerk/Scorpian Hovars Without Flapping*
H2: Spore+Umbra (Combined into 1 ability.)
H3: Primal Scream.

*Fade*
H1: Swipe.
H2: NW.
H3: Metabolize.
MA: Blink.

*Onos*
H1: Gore.
H2: Bone Shield.
H3: Stomp.

How accurate do you think I am?

Comments

• JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited July 2009
    Oh ya I did not go into Gorge abilities in regards to what she can build, since we do not know if she will still be building chambers.

I hope she will not be building chambers, instead the Alien Commander would be doing that, and be "building" "deployable" traps in return.

I can also see Web Attack be put into the category of "deployable" traps, if it is made kind of like Cyrax's Acid Web/Energy Net from Mortal Kombat.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    I'm going to take a guess and say abilities won't be bound to # of hives in ns2.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716798:date=Jul 11 2009, 10:11 AM:name=Frogg2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frogg2 @ Jul 11 2009, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm going to take a guess and say abilities won't be bound to # of hives in ns2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i have a feeling abilities will be researched by the alien commander
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2009
    I don't think/hope so.
    If it would be necessary to adress old ns1 balance issues, ok, but I don't think it is with the new map layouts and the fact that marines also need expansion to gain and maintain a certain tech level, which means no more marine relocate stalemates blocking the 3rd alien hive.
    Moreover it would be hard to balance, if all weapons were available for research with 2 hives, for example.
    It would also be another step away from the goal to keep the teams as diverse as possible.

Chambers on the other hand should be unchained from hives.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    I think they are looking into an ability for the gorge, if you crouch your energy absorbs damage rather then HP
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716854:date=Jul 11 2009, 09:34 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 11 2009, 09:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chambers on the other hand should be unchained from hives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. Marines can research every tech only with RTs and no need to build another base.
    Aliens have to build 1 hive <b>in 3 different locations of the map to reach all the tech they can</b>. If you have 2 hives, you can't develop another ability/upgrade. And it's not rare the fact that when Aliens are building the 3rd hive, the Marines are destroying 1 of them.

I mean, Marines can expand RTs more easily than Aliens, because any Marine can build a RT, and only a Gorge can build a RT.
    Marines can upgrade every tech without the need to take care of 3 locations on the map, Aliens have to look out for 3 hives to maintain its abilities.

That sucks, it's VERY DIFFICULT to play as Alien in this game, and it doesn't surprise me the fact that Marines win 90% of the matches.
    <!--quoteo(post=1716873:date=Jul 11 2009, 11:44 AM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 11 2009, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. Marines can research every tech only with RTs and no need to build another base.
    Aliens have to build 1 hive <b>in 3 different locations of the map to reach all the tech they can</b>. If you have 2 hives, you can't develop another ability/upgrade. And it's not rare the fact that when Aliens are building the 3rd hive, the Marines are destroying 1 of them.

I mean, Marines can expand RTs more easily than Aliens, because any Marine can build a RT, and only a Gorge can build a RT.
    Marines can upgrade every tech without the need to take care of 3 locations on the map, Aliens have to look out for 3 hives to maintain its abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...wer_grid_design</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1716873:date=Jul 11 2009, 11:44 AM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 11 2009, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sucks, it's VERY DIFFICULT to play as Alien in this game, and it doesn't surprise me the fact that Marines win 90% of the matches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm going to guess that you play on large servers.
  • Dead-InsideDead-Inside Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31862Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716873:date=Jul 11 2009, 06:44 PM:name=davidcavalcante)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidcavalcante @ Jul 11 2009, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sucks, it's VERY DIFFICULT to play as Alien in this game, and it doesn't surprise me the fact that Marines win 90% of the matches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even on large servers this isn't true, though when you get to 10v10 and above aliens have it a lot worse than a 6v6 game. I also find it highly enjoyable to play alien most of the time (just as I do marine).
  • The_DisposedThe_Disposed Join Date: 2007-05-29 Member: 61052Members
    I hope aliens have more than 3 abilities. I would rather more abilites even if it makes the game a bit unbalanced at first.
  • DeadmanDieingDeadmanDieing Join Date: 2004-02-23 Member: 26811Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716854:date=Jul 11 2009, 07:34 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 11 2009, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think/hope so.
    If it would be necessary to adress old ns1 balance issues, ok, but I don't think it is with the new map layouts and the fact that marines also need expansion to gain and maintain a certain tech level, which means no more marine relocate stalemates blocking the 3rd alien hive.
    Moreover it would be hard to balance, if all weapons were available for research with 2 hives, for example.
    It would also be another step away from the goal to keep the teams as diverse as possible.

Chambers on the other hand should be unchained from hives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Marines relocating into a hive doesn't always mean a stalemate, it just requires stratagy and teamwork, IE everyone waiting at a movemnt chamber, while a gorge or 2 run in to put up the hive then once its up everyone movements in... its pretty much a wy of overwhelming the defenses, i mean 2 onos teleporting into the middle of your base they can take out the AA and whatever turret factory that happens to be there. while everything else that ported in is killing stuff. and if the hive in question has a vent it was pretty easy for them to put the hive up.

but with that said, Marines taking over the middle hive spot was a huge disruption, and unless the alien team was good pretty much aliens where not going to win that round.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since Lerk does not have flight as a weapon I sincerly hope that leap, charge and blink are no weapons anymore, too.
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717450:date=Jul 15 2009, 06:57 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 15 2009, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since Lerk does not have flight as a weapon I sincerly hope that leap, charge and blink are no weapons anymore, too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^^^6
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717450:date=Jul 15 2009, 09:57 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 15 2009, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since Lerk does not have flight as a weapon I sincerly hope that leap, charge and blink are no weapons anymore, too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this, although they could still be considered "upgrades." I.e. not available at the beginning of the game, but researched by an alien comm, perhaps. In fact, you could make these all tied to the jump key (which would make "jump" the default version, if that makes any sense).
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd prefer some sort of key combo. and no, duck + jump is not good. until you can rebind a skulk's unstick key without rebinding any other class'es duck key. but where else would you like it besides ctrl? alt is a no go for me... i often end up pressing +score (tab) when having something on alt ESPECIALY when using that key.

so, i'd say it should be mouse2 / 3 / 4.
    don't know if the aliens have alternate attackmodes Oo
    <!--quoteo(post=1717531:date=Jul 15 2009, 05:03 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 15 2009, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd prefer some sort of key combo. and no, duck + jump is not good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't clarify why duck+jump isn't good, and I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't be. You need to hold duck while leaping and blinking in NS1 anyway.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited July 2009
    Ctrl and Shift for movement modifiers, or Mouse 2 for movement abilities.
  • oblivion is at handoblivion is at hand Join Date: 2009-06-14 Member: 67833Members
    I am going to guess that leap is the secondary fire function for bite. It just makes more sense than treating it like a different weapon.
  • ElvissssssqElvissssssq Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58455Members, Constellation
    bring back spikegun!
  • scary_jeffscary_jeff Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18459Members
    Don't forget bilebomb! I think this is quite an important weapon, as it normally needs good teamwork to be effective; the Gorge needs help to get close enough to important marine structures.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717534:date=Jul 16 2009, 03:14 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Jul 16 2009, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't clarify why duck+jump isn't good, and I can't think of any reasons why it wouldn't be. You need to hold duck while leaping and blinking in NS1 anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes yes, but I dislike the Idea. As I mentioned in various threads over here I haven't played in a while. And what I remembered was that skulks unstick on their own when leaping, allowing to precisly aim at certain geometrics.

Could've been a mod or something tho.
  • NecroNecro &lt;insert non-birthday-related title here&gt; Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717762:date=Jul 17 2009, 04:36 AM:name=Necro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Necro @ Jul 17 2009, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why only 3?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe Alien Weapons will all have secondary attacks?

Some abilities didn't make sense to the core of each class.

*Skulk*

Divine Wind:

- Never really made any sense why the Skulk has this ability. Also there is very little "skill" involved, and is mostly a spam skill.

*Gorge*

Bile Bomb:

- Made sense for NS1, since the ---> Onos <--- was not the base destroyer. However in NS2, the Onos is the building/Commander interrupter.

*Lerk*

- Combining Spores and Umbra allows room for a new ability.

Spikes: Made the Lerk too powerful against Heavies and in general. Plus I don't see how this could have a secondary attack on its own.

*Fade*

Acid Rocket:

- LOL Z!!! I mean really, the "sneaky" main fighter with a very GOSU/IMBA/OP range weapon. Once fades got this for third Hive, Marines had 0% chance if focus fired on them.

*Onos*

Devour:

- GOSU/IMBA/OP as well. Increased respawn times, which is a huge turnoff to people. And the graphic for being devoured looked like the <b>inside of a certain "female part"</b>, if you know what I mean. Some people were really turned off by it and thought it was disgusting. If it were to come back, the display for being devoured shoul look like ---> green <--- dynamic infestation, instead of something questionably pink. Think like Alien acid blood.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Because there are 4 tech points on a map, I have a hard time believing there will only be 3 abilities.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because there are 4 tech points on a map, I have a hard time believing there will only be 3 abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At least Marines can't rush for <%hivename%> at roundstart anymore. huge plus imo.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717708:date=Jul 16 2009, 03:55 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 16 2009, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes yes, but I dislike the Idea. As I mentioned in various threads over here I haven't played in a while. And what I remembered was that skulks unstick on their own when leaping, allowing to precisly aim at certain geometrics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You may unstick when leaping but you stick to the first thing you touch during flight, usually a damn crate, not the marine you were aiming for. Also as fade it helps to duck because catching on corners, or other aliens, can be a serious risk to your life. Anyway, if duck+jump is unsatisfactory, I still think the movement abilities make more sense on their own, or doubling up on another bind, than taking up a gun slot. That didn't even really make sense for NS1, and I know many people used complicated workarounds to change that fact (like scripts that switch weapons, attack, switch back, etc).
    <!--quoteo(post=1717799:date=Jul 17 2009, 10:53 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 17 2009, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because there are 4 tech points on a map, I have a hard time believing there will only be 3 abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    six?

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...wer_grid_design</a>
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717859:date=Jul 17 2009, 09:05 PM:name=Frogg2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frogg2 @ Jul 17 2009, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->six?

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009...wer_grid_design</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The starts aren't colored the same as the other techpoints. It may be six, but, looking at the orig blog post, the starts are separate.
    They are still techpoints to settle down as far as i understood
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I am pretty sure each class has a primary attack (bite, spit, chomp, slash or gore) bound to the left mouse button and the 3 abilities would be bound to the right button. This means each class technically has four abilities.

Onos:
    Primary Attack: Gore
    Abilities: Knockback Gore / Bone Shield / Stomp
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Hmm, I had always thought a good implementation would be:
    "Weapons" or abilities: Left mouse button. Depending on which 'weapon slot' you were in. "Primary attack" is just 'slot one'.
    Movement ability: Right mouse button. Regardless of which 'weapon slot' you were in. I.e. with a skulk, whether you're biting or parasiting with LMB, you'll still leap with RMB.