Battlefield Heroes

SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
<div class="IPBDescription">+ PC Magazine related stuff</div>Just wondering does anyone buy PC Gamer magazines? As Battlefield Heroes is giving out some free codes for stuff (the usual promotion style) and doesn't need them, I'd be willing to use them :D

Here is the link to what they are doing: <a href="http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=49421" target="_blank">http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/forum/sho...d.php?tid=49421</a>

The game itself isn't bad, think of it as a mini-battlefield that you don't have to pay for. Here is my profile so you can join me if I ever play :p <a href="http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/player/2284704846" target="_blank">http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/player/2284704846</a>

Comments

• TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got a lvl 16 nationalist going, having fun times with this.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I don't like how you only rent items instead of buying them.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Being invisible is fun.
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717630:date=Jul 16 2009, 11:03 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 16 2009, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being invisible is fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this related to Battlefield Heroes at all?

~~Sickle~~
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717633:date=Jul 16 2009, 11:16 AM:name=briktal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (briktal @ Jul 16 2009, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this related to Battlefield Heroes at all?

~~Sickle~~<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The spy class can turn invisible.

We should post our names here so we can all f
    riend each other... Also, this game won't let me join a server. Ever.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Isn't that the game which is free, but in order to be better at it you have to embrace the micro-transaction culture and buy things or you'll eventually peak without a fighting chance against those who have bought items?
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    edited July 2009
    The only things you can buy with acual money are cosmetic or temporary boosts to how fast you earn XP or "valour points" (the other 'currency', but this is exclusively earned by playing). Valour points are what you use to buy weapons, widgets (basically 'potions') and some cosmetic items.
    edited July 2009
    Possible. I haven't seen that yet. Generally, the gameplay-affecting items can be bought with the currency that you earn in the game, while costume parts and such have to be bought with real money (except they have a bull######ty "buy our in-game currency with real money and then use the in-game currency to buy ######" system in place, of course).

Well, that's ALMOST true - custom uniforms do affect gameplay a tiny bit: You know the saying "the wheel that squeaks gets the grease?" Well, in this case it's "the wheel that wears clothes that make it stand out gets shot in the head a lot." If you're going to wear non-standard items, you better pick a class with high health.

Oh, and I suppose you can add me by character name? My characters are called Schnitzelhausen and Kringelhausen.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    On a scale of Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 1943 whee does BH rate?

I enjoyed 2 but 1943 was simplified (made consoley!) and I don't like!

Also any idea on the size of the download?
    That's a really weird and arbitrary scale that means nothing to me. I suggest you rate it yourself.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717662:date=Jul 16 2009, 02:13 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jul 16 2009, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a scale of Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 1943 whee does BH rate?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I give it 3 cows.<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>I haven't played the game.</span>
    It does suffer from level syndrome though. Somebody who is higher level than you has a very distinct advantage over you that you simply can't offset except by grinding. Take the Commando: You're armed with a sniper rifle and a knife. Arguably, you're the weakest character in mid-range. So you use your cloak to get in close, then start stabbing. However, with enough levels, the heavy class (slowest in the game) can outrun you (fastest in the game). And the soldier (or whatever he's called) can push you away. Either way, they can force the fight into the midrange where they have a big advantage. The only way you can make up for this is by gaining lots of levels yourself.

Also, as always, lag is a big issue in melee.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I've had fun playing it, for the three-minute chunks it remains connected. Even aussie servers boot me off after a little while. "Error 3" or somesuch nonsense. Been to their forums, updated punkbuster, disabled firewall, etcetera, no dice.

--Scythe--
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717662:date=Jul 16 2009, 07:13 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jul 16 2009, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a scale of Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 1943 whee does BH rate?

I enjoyed 2 but 1943 was simplified (made consoley!) and I don't like!

Also any idea on the size of the download?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BF2 + BF1943 you have to pay for. whereas BFH you don't. So in a way its the saying 'you get what you pay'

<!--quoteo(post=1717677:date=Jul 16 2009, 08:50 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 16 2009, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does suffer from level syndrome though. Somebody who is higher level than you has a very distinct advantage over you that you simply can't offset except by grinding. Take the Commando: You're armed with a sniper rifle and a knife. Arguably, you're the weakest character in mid-range. So you use your cloak to get in close, then start stabbing. However, with enough levels, the heavy class (slowest in the game) can outrun you (fastest in the game). And the soldier (or whatever he's called) can push you away. Either way, they can force the fight into the midrange where they have a big advantage. The only way you can make up for this is by gaining lots of levels yourself.

Also, as always, lag is a big issue in melee.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those with alittle more abilities will have the advantage but just team up, usually 2>1 (even says so in the tips)

lol no one got PC Gamer codes D:
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    This game kinda sucks.
    2 > 1 isn't worth much when the teams are even (in numbers).
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717677:date=Jul 16 2009, 03:50 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 16 2009, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does suffer from level syndrome though. Somebody who is higher level than you has a very distinct advantage over you that you simply can't offset except by grinding. Take the Commando: You're armed with a sniper rifle and a knife. Arguably, you're the weakest character in mid-range. So you use your cloak to get in close, then start stabbing. However, with enough levels, the heavy class (slowest in the game) can outrun you (fastest in the game). And the soldier (or whatever he's called) can push you away. Either way, they can force the fight into the midrange where they have a big advantage. The only way you can make up for this is by gaining lots of levels yourself.

Also, as always, lag is a big issue in melee.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I have to say you are wrong.

The main difference between low lvl vs high level is that the high level has more options. But you will still run across soldiers with blasting strike who are level 1 vs your lvl 10 commando.

Admittedly, commandos kinda suck at close range regardless (at least if the other guy is kitted out decently and has a close range gun). Really, it comes down to the fact that Soldiers are the best class vs other infantry. Gunners are the best vs tanks, and commandos are ok at both (stealthing up to tanks to TNT them).

grumble

all this talk has me wandering off to play it again.

Thansal is my main (my soldier).

I probably used Thragnar for my gunner and Thael for my commando, but I rarely play em.

Oh, and all are nationalists.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    It is a terrible game and you should all be deeply ashamed of yourselves.
    A level one soldier with blasting strike does not, however, have fire bullets, healing, awareness (there's another commando-killer), grenade spam and whatever else there is. The level 10 commando, on the other hand, can have intermediate level stealth, poison knife and whatever-that-ability-is-that-makes-your-rifle-deal-more-damage. A clear advantage if you ask me.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    What does awareness do? does it see trough lowerlevel stealth?
    Sees everyone nearby for a time. Including stealthed commandos, regardless of level I believe.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2009
    So that happened to me, I was wondering how the heck that one soldier saw me :D

Too bad it's not very clear what all the special abilities do on and from enemies...
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717786:date=Jul 17 2009, 04:41 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 17 2009, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sees everyone nearby for a time. Including stealthed commandos, regardless of level I believe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I believe that it does not see through stealth.

Also if people are close enough range to you, they can see you (semi-stealthed, read your stealth skill)
    Yeah, the higher your stealth, the closer they have to be before they can see you.