Do you guys want Natural Selection 2 to get flooded with people?

FlipsterFlipster Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66469Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What do you think?</div>I know that Natural Selection is a small group of people who usually play it, but when Natural Selection 2 comes out, do you want a lot of people to play it?

Comments

• LeaderLeader Join Date: 2004-10-08 Member: 32157Members
    edited June 2009
    NS2 will always have a more complex system than most games simply because of the amount of depth and teamwork/coordination involved. I think the devs are aiming for NS2 to be just as deep (if not more) but increasingly accessible.

Currently the amount of players playing NS1 isn't all that high. Ultimately we should hope that there are more players than NS1 has right now but much less than more mainstream games. If you think of a bell curve, and COD4/HALO/CS/Starcraft being like the middle average of the level of depth and difficulty of learning curve, think of NS1 being more to the far right and NS2 in between NS1 and those other games.

Those mainstream games are like a Tier 3 in complexity (1 being highest) whereas NS2 just notches it up a bit to Tier 2, (NS1 was probably Tier 1/2).

This doesn't really answer your question though. I think that a mature and fun community like the one currently in NS1 should exist, but expand to perhaps 10 times the amount of servers and players (I'm assuming here that there are around 3-5 servers that are typically full at the 24-30 player level) noobs and trolls will, by natural selection, get weeded out slowly and go on to other mainstream games where their griefing can induce greater lulz.

Raging is only fun when you can get away with it.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714009:date=Jun 25 2009, 05:35 PM:name=Flipster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flipster @ Jun 25 2009, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know that Natural Selection is a small group of people who usually play it, but when Natural Selection 2 comes out, do you want a lot of people to play it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Natural Selection in its heyday had hundreds of servers and tens of thousands of players. The only reason there is even a small group left is because the large number of players allowed a core community to develop. I think it was said that on Fark.com, out of all their readers, only 10% have ever posted. And out of that 10%, only 10% become regular participants. That ratio can be generalized for many communities. Basically, only 1% really participate. So if you want a nice nucleus to develop, you need at least tens of thousands of players.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    More the merrier! More people means

- more money for UWE, which means more content and support

- more servers filled with people, as opposed to the handful of popular servers left in NS1

- more people contributing to the community, which means more community content: mods, clans, skins

Really, getting as many people into the game as possible is just good sense.
  • JerkstoreJerkstore Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67880Members
    edited June 2009
    More players won't harm the game in any way. The "hardcore" players will of course boil down into teams or groups of friends and play on private, password servers. The general public players will just jump in and out of public servers. And the sheer number of players will bring great love and attention to the game, as well as support for the devteam. That's how it's always been with popular online games.
  • ItalianmagicItalianmagic Join Date: 2008-12-13 Member: 65755Members
    my predictions:

When UWE gives a release date for NS2, you'll see a high amount of people getting NS1. so nub alert!

Initially NS2 will have an "excessive" amount of players on it's release and die some. Depending how successful the new gameplay elements are and gameplay in general will determine it's lifespan (which is a very flimsy term used with a highly modable game and).

So Do I want it flooded? Most definitely. More people is more beneficial to everyone. from UWE to the server owners to the physical player.

For it being a game where you can hack and mod easily and efficiently, I see days of packed servers ahead. :D

ciao.
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    We want the largest community as possible so that the competitive scene is large enough for huge tourneys and leagues...lol.
  • BriligBrilig Join Date: 2009-01-01 Member: 65938Members
    Personally I would like to see the community grow way beyond what it was in NS1. The more people the better. The larger the community = more support for the game, and the devs.
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    This game better become big and have a good competitive community. Hopefully something bigger than what NS1 was, so anywhere more than 10-20 active clans at a time. And more clans that have people in it instead of just the same old crew under a different name.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714042:date=Jun 25 2009, 08:26 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 25 2009, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's probably unrealistic to expect that many people.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I would certainly want a decent sized community... Rather quality over quantity mind you.
  • FlipsterFlipster Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66469Members
    I want more people to play Natural Selection 2.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714048:date=Jun 25 2009, 08:59 PM:name=Flipster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flipster @ Jun 25 2009, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want more people to play Natural Selection 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From my experience the old NS fan base is unique among other games. I truly believe that it will resurge into existence closer to release time. My predictors are based on conversations that I have seen/had with various other clans or gaming groups and there seems to be a decent amount of excitement about playing NS again.

I might be revealing my age a bit, but I can remember several large MOD releases for Half-Life, including CS, FLF, DOD and some others but the release for NS had a whole different crowed of excited players and lasted longer than most other MODS (that did not get purchased by Valve).

Long story to say, my prediction is that there will be a lot of players, but I think a good majority of those will first come from the original fan base and from there spread to a whole lot more new players.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think its release on steam will expose it to a much, much larger group of gamers than just those that happen to discover it randomly. It's selling price of ($20-$40?) is a good price for a game.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714009:date=Jun 25 2009, 05:35 PM:name=Flipster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flipster @ Jun 25 2009, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know that Natural Selection is a small group of people who usually play it, but when Natural Selection 2 comes out, do you want a lot of people to play it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you for real?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714041:date=Jun 26 2009, 01:10 AM:name=kuperaye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kuperaye @ Jun 26 2009, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game better become big and have a good competitive community. Hopefully something bigger than what NS1 was, so anywhere more than 10-20 active clans at a time. And more clans that have people in it instead of just the same old crew under a different name.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The biggest ENSL seasons had some 30+ participating teams if my memory serves me right. And that's most likely only a part of the European competetive community.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    I want as many people as possible to buy and play NS2 so the devs feel able to continue supporting it through updates. I don't expect it to be anywhere near balanced on release unless the testing goes well and the devs have time to make the fixes that are needed.

If I find there are too many 'newbies' playing NS, I'll just find a server that expects a higher level of play. The more players the more likely these servers will exist. I might even consider running my own server if I like the game enough.

Honestly, the more players, the better. There's no logical reason for people to want NS2 to be niche or underground.
  • ParanoyakParanoyak Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67527Members
    NS1 was like 500% what counter strike was, but it didnt get as much 'advertising' (that the right word ?) and didnt have as much players.

but NS2 is not a mod anymore, its a 'real' game, and if the devs have enough money to make steam add a lot of 'advertising' as much as TF2 or L4D, and more 'teasers' the number of player should grow really fast.

And as others said before me, more money for the devs => more updates, more content.

Since the devs as we know them or not like the ###### ones of L4D who release a game, wait 1 year to update the final release, and try to sell L4D 2 :x

i think NS2 will roks, and i want it to 'get flooded with people'.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714087:date=Jun 26 2009, 09:32 AM:name=Paranoyak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paranoyak @ Jun 26 2009, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was like 500% what counter strike was, but it didnt get as much 'advertising' (that the right word ?) and didnt have as much players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    CS had depth that wasn't necessary to enjoy the game. In NS the depth is more of a necessity to enjoy the game for a longer period of time.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    I'm sure there will be a large initial playerbase. When 1.0 was released there was over 100 teams signed up for CAL, which dwindled quickly. <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20031217093041/nsa.wideloader.com/clanboards.php" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20031217093041/.../clanboards.php</a>

Hopefully with the open beta ns2 will be much better balanced on final release and there wont be half a year of preseason.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714067:date=Jun 25 2009, 10:56 PM:name=project_demon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (project_demon @ Jun 25 2009, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you for real?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you mean am I for real? I mean do you want the community of players we already ahve or for it to expand like really big or something?
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    Yes I do want lots of people to play the game. The thing about most computer games is that the number of players almost always decreases with time. Many reasons for this, including outdated graphics and lack of new stuff. For the first couple of years, I'd expect lots of players I'd rather not encounter, just like in all other multiplayer games I've tried, including NS1. Eventually, only those who really like the game will still be left and be known as the "core" group of players, like all of us here.

More players initially = more people will know about this game = more people will try this game = more people will really like this game = more of "us".

Maybe NS2 will become one of the WCG games someday.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Obviously the more people the better. Even if a large number of players are the kind that only appreciate CO, I wouldn't mind since it would just be more publicity for NS. And I'm hoping this would encourage the more "smarter" players to try it out. If it gets on steam, with a $20 price tag, I'm sure lots of people would pick it up.

I just hope enough stay to make the game viable long term.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    Yes.

Next question.

Seriously though, games are better with more players. Of course there are drawbacks to large crowds, but smaller server communities will develop and alleviate those drawbacks. I want NS2 to be huge. I want it to be critically acclaimed and be the newest "sleeper hit". And then I want it to become an undeniable blockbuster, requiring no sleeper qualification. I want it to be the next Halo in terms of size and the next StarCraft in terms of longevity. I don't <b><i>expect</i></b> these things, but bring it on.
    <!--quoteo(post=1714132:date=Jun 26 2009, 04:21 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jun 26 2009, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes.

Next question.

Seriously though, games are better with more players. Of course there are drawbacks to large crowds, but smaller server communities will develop and alleviate those drawbacks. I want NS2 to be huge. I want it to be critically acclaimed and be the newest "sleeper hit". And then I want it to become an undeniable blockbuster, requiring no sleeper qualification. I want it to be the next Halo in terms of size and the next StarCraft in terms of longevity. I don't <b><i>expect</i></b> these things, but bring it on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That summed it up nicely.

I think there are going to be some pretty good quality servers for the original NS players too. NS managed to create quite a few active communities both on public and competetive scenes. The experience and connections from them are sure going to help up in creating the backbone of new NS2 scene. For example I wouldn't be surprised at all to see ENSL, Wireplay and YO-Clan servers going up as soon as it's possible in Europe. If necessary, they probably even have enough of playerbase to run invite-only or at least reserve slot heavy public servers. Of course mixing up the old and new players would be great too, but I'm sure that will happen anyway.
    [quote name='Bacillus' date='Jun 26 2009, 11:42 AM' post='1714134']
    That summed it up nicely.

I think there are going to be some pretty good quality servers for the original NS players too. NS managed to create quite a few active communities both on public and competetive scenes. The experience and connections from them are sure going to help up in creating the backbone of new NS2 scene. For example I wouldn't be surprised at all to see ENSL, Wireplay and YO-Clan servers going up as soon as it's possible in Europe. If necessary, they probably even have enough of playerbase to run invite-only or at least reserve slot heavy public servers. Of course mixing up the old and new players would be great too, but I'm sure that will happen.

Ehh hopefully they will release it before the new left 4 dead 2. Bcz that will probabaly get flooded with players too. I want natural selection 2 to be like huge it would be awesome lllol but my computer is old nd it has It has I think a nvidia geforce 5600 fx. Would I be able to play natural selection 2? Thanks. Sry for the spelling mistakes btw LOL bcz I typed this on aN iPod touch 2g LOL.
  • cerberus414cerberus414 Join Date: 2005-05-07 Member: 51098Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I definitely want NS2 to have as many players as possible, mainly for the sake of competitive play. I plan on going back to it once NS2 comes out. Hopefully, it will get re-instated in CAL or some other well-known league/tournament. Aside from that, more players implies that there will be more quality servers (in case you get banned) and more of new interesting people to meet. In my opinion, new people are the ones that make the game more interesting as they usually bring new ideas, and tactics that were otherwise unnoticeable by the "regulars" due to consistent use of their good 'n old (rather stale) strats. Most importantly, I want UWE to prevail, so they continue to climb up their ladder of success and eventually get to the point of where Bungie, Epic Games and Blizzard are, with NS3 (Who knows, maybe NS2 will do it for them and I certainly hope that it does).
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Short answer to thread topic:
    Yes.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714126:date=Jun 26 2009, 11:29 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jun 26 2009, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously the more people the better. Even if a large number of players are the kind that only appreciate CO, I wouldn't mind since it would just be more publicity for NS. And I'm hoping this would encourage the more "smarter" players to try it out. If it gets on steam, with a $20 price tag, I'm sure lots of people would pick it up.

I just hope enough stay to make the game viable long term.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not a good idea at all. CO should be a community made sub-mod... not a main mode. Or else you get what NS1 got... 10 ns servers... 1 siege server...5 bot servers and 99999999 CO servers... CO is nothing more than poor mans counterstrike...with lizards.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714294:date=Jun 27 2009, 07:35 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jun 27 2009, 07:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a good idea at all. CO should be a community made sub-mod... not a main mode. Or else you get what NS1 got... 10 ns servers... 1 siege server...5 bot servers and 99999999 CO servers... CO is nothing more than poor mans counterstrike...with lizards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 pubbing will be ridiculously fractured anyway with the LUA mods, it'll be a joke with different versions of CS:Warcraft3 mod on every other server.