You know you're old when...

Comments

• Zable1Zable1 Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17189Members
    edited June 2009
    Just recovering my username sent me down memory lane... not to mention half of the ###### posted in this thread.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1712987:date=Jun 19 2009, 06:39 PM:name=Zable1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zable1 @ Jun 19 2009, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just recovering my username sent me down memory lane... not to mention half of the ###### posted in this thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oddly enough I thought I registered this nick on here when the server migration occurred way back in the day, but it seems I didn't. Ah well.
  • VermillionVermillion Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33615Members
    locking down entire rooms for strategy, when strategy was used to win, when turrets killed stuff, when marines saw onoi and said "OMFG RUN THEY HAVE ONOS! RUN COMM BEACON" consequently beacon didnt work back then and made a cool looking pink light on the walls. When the maps were nice and dark, playin on 56k getting 150 ping was good! rushing rine bases through thier own ports. man dont make these threads just makes me remember the sad day 2.0 came out and i rage quit.
  • VermillionVermillion Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33615Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1707123:date=May 18 2009, 12:23 PM:name=Ruri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ruri @ May 18 2009, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1707123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Long live patch 1.04. The greatest days of NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

DAMN RIGHT! i only hope ns2 has the same gameplay as pre 2.0 ns
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    You mean whenever you could stand exactly ontop of a turret and not get shot because of the degree that a turret shot at? good times.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1712726:date=Jun 17 2009, 05:04 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 17 2009, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never seen a chibilerk so I don't think so.. make one, and it's my avatar ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope! Fam's avatar, already claimed.

And actually, I was talking about a replacement model for the ingame lerk... I did make a skulk, but I don't recall if I ever finished the Lerk.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1713950:date=Jun 25 2009, 11:10 AM:name=coil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coil @ Jun 25 2009, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope! Fam's avatar, already claimed.

And actually, I was talking about a replacement model for the ingame lerk... I did make a skulk, but I don't recall if I ever finished the Lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*Extra huggle for avatar*
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1712724:date=Jun 17 2009, 03:53 PM:name=coil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coil @ Jun 17 2009, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You remember that coil made the chibi avatars, Fam turned them into a sweet wallpaper, kylie *also* made chibi aliens, and both coil and kylie attempted to take over NS with the chibiskulk, cute gorge, and chibilerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is to date the best gorge model ever, <b>especially</b> the one with the different jump animation.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    edited June 2009
    When games lasted from dusk to dawn.
    When Onos had hitbox of marine.
    All of the original maps without the modern crap "balancing".
    When bast had a revolving door.
    When combat didn't exist.
    When eclipse had doors.
    When sieges killed players.
    |Nz|Nexus.
    Nukes.
    When Steam didn't exist.
    When fades could blink into walls.
    When you could have HL NPCs in NS maps.
    Babblers.
    When turrets didn't need a TF.
    When sieges didn't need scan.
    Etc.
  • c3ntauriusc3ntaurius Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43304Members
    When u shot acid rox through welded vent at bast near the revolving door.
  • Bulletproof_McBainBulletproof_McBain Join Date: 2004-05-18 Member: 28735Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1714091:date=Jun 26 2009, 10:41 AM:name=GiGaBiTe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GiGaBiTe @ Jun 26 2009, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714091"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When games lasted from dusk to dawn.
    When Onos had hitbox of marine.
    All of the original maps without the modern crap "balancing".
    When bast had a revolving door.
    When combat didn't exist.
    When eclipse had doors.
    When sieges killed players.
    |Nz|Nexus.
    Nukes.
    When Steam didn't exist.
    When fades could blink into walls.
    When you could have HL NPCs in NS maps.
    Babblers.
    When turrets didn't need a TF.
    When sieges didn't need scan.
    Etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sums it all up pretty well. I still have a sour taste in my mouth whenever I play on "new" bast. It's just not the same, the whole heart of the level was torn out in the name of "balance". The loss of the revolving door is probably my least favorite update in the game's entire history, that feeling of dread as the door emerged to the other side was always frantically exciting; emerging to face a wall of OCs for example whilst screaming at your team mate to "hit the door again! hit the door again!" before you're both killed was always an adrenaline rush. Losing the massive lift and the weldable vent to MS also neutered part of the fun of the level. It was a level where losing could still be great fun.

And it seems like so many other weldables have disappeared too which really killed some of the cinematic feel in the game.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    I want a chibilerk T :<
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1708420:date=May 30 2009, 08:18 AM:name=Drake1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drake1 @ May 30 2009, 08:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1708420"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know your old when you remember that vespa gorge racing was the best thing ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nah, that was not that old, thats like half-way though the ns days :p
  • Flynazn ToasterFlynazn Toaster Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68023Members
    O_O" I'm not as old as the rest of NS2 but I still share the same passion.
    I think I joined a little late in the NS scene but I too share those fond memories xD "OMFG ONOS RUN" "COMM BACON NAooo!!" xS I always loved Playing Onos. That and exploring parts of some of the maps, like some had secret rooms in the lobby or somewhere in the actual in-game map.

Haha, I also remember the days where you could lay down as many sentry turrets as you wanted....crazy rooms where there were, like, forty million of them and a split second in the room = dead onos.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715596:date=Jul 3 2009, 08:02 PM:name=Drfuzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drfuzzy @ Jul 3 2009, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nah, that was not that old, thats like half-way though the ns days :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hah its one of the most hilarious things that I remember from way back when I played ns =D

Anyway long time no see fuzzy =]
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Gorgerush was it not? ;)
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    Gorge rushs wernt that funny. =<

Unless they where vespa gorges.
  • MRDMRD Join Date: 2004-02-06 Member: 26167Members
    and you cried if someone went gorge and built sens
    u rember changeing your won id faster then admins could ban you
    u rember the hole ns comunity hopelessy trying to rein down order on publics
    u rember threads like "MARINE TANK" and "Wouldent it be cool if aliens could eat marines"
    u rember the good old days before it all went downhill
    u rember the promis of 1.5
    u rember excuses like we only lost cos were to busy playing the new version of ns

when jetpacks wernt nerfed and the game was fun and playable ,
    before all the skillless spacktards got there way and the masses stoped playing
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--quoteo(post=1716528:date=Jul 9 2009, 11:37 AM:name=MRD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MRD @ Jul 9 2009, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when jetpacks wernt nerfed and the game was fun and playable ,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When jetpack thrust was proportional to your framerate?
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    What is happening is the people you know are leave (and people coming in and replacing them). It is all because of age groups, people just starting sophomore year (grade 11) are not starting college and with this they have less time. Also girlfriends, wanting to do more in their studies also complicates it. People are loosing interest and people are gaining interests. It is just for people like most of us (1.04 vets and people that have been here from the start) do have obstacles at time that prevent us from playing as we would like.

I for one have had less playing time. Two years ago when I started to play I was in 9th grade and recently left the CAL-m scene because I felt my friend were more important. I was not a very book studying person (with leaving computer related things easy for me though) so my GPA idled around 80. As time moved on and I kept playing NS getting better and better the summer of 9th grade was coming up and I was in my "prime" where I joined cri (a veteran team at the time) and most of that summer was spent with NS/friends. 10th grade rolled around and I ended up playing more and more ns until about December in what I called "The beginning of the end" of me playing NS. I became a well known figure in the community not for skill though, because of my antics. I then started to go out with my girlfriend (and still am) in January in which I pretty much stopped playing NS. This of course was until I started a clan that did not last long but sure left a mark (with drama of course). By then I was playing ns about an hour a week and that was scrims. This was because I tried to move my GPA up more and started a college programming class that I got accepted into (which I finished with a 3.0 GPA being third in the class) and my girlfriend. Don't get me wrong, I still had a lot of interest in NS and did try and squeeze in whatever playing time I could and ended up getting my infamous "0-13" score with my connection dieing on me. Then I was approached by WiredLabs (and AmpedNews) Sypher to start and lead their Natural Selection division. This ended up being a big hit but slowly died after I left (and is not starting to come back again). Now, I play NS when I have the free time while having it squeezed in with helping my mother from time to time (who has about four disease including things that cause her to have seizures and is still diagnosed with chronic alcoholism so that doesn't help when she takes her medicine), girlfriend and school. Also including my passion for computer programming as I will have about one year of Computer Science done (9 out of 12 credits) and still on other free time learn PHP/Flash MX 2004 as a hobby. However, even though their is other things that I do I was here from the start of the community and will be with it till its untimely death.

This is just an example of one persons time restraints pushing him away from NS but yet, being him back now. This happens to many people and I am sure has happen to a few people in this Playtester group.
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716528:date=Jul 9 2009, 09:37 AM:name=MRD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MRD @ Jul 9 2009, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->u rember excuses like we only lost cos were to busy playing the new version of ns<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

also we didn't know the euros were gonna take it so seriously
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    You remember horseshoe actually looking like a horseshoe
  • Rapier7Rapier7 Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26108Members
    They don't even call it Horseshoe anymore. It's T-junction.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I miss the vent from HS to marine start. I remember turret farming that RT in NS 1.0.
  • Sephiroth2kSephiroth2k Join Date: 2002-04-21 Member: 481Members, Constellation
    Wasn't there a NS Jones Soda label at one point also?
    I miss epic battles lasting a long time, most of which it
    could have still gone either way..

Going out of the map a lil in tanith... well in general I
    guess..
    It's all been fun, can't wait for NS2. I remember playing
    NS for the first time (or trying to) on Oct. 31st. I hope
    the release of NS2 is as highly anticipated and as well-
    received as NS was. =)
  • boobs!boobs! Old-School Competitor Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8504Members
    I love PneumaticCrab.
    ReD vs. sYn 4 lyfe.
    pandas sucked <3
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    Haahaha I have one that no one else does.
    (Its not even close to my oldest memory but no one has yet to mention it.)

When buildings, could be built ontop of buildings! :D

When the commander always seemed to have the most kills...
    (Those powerful siege cannons...)

When I had to get my older brother to find me games because there was no steam to help me! :(

When I first started playing and somehow the box in controls got ticked that stops mouse moving up and down (Y axis mouse control?) and I played for weeks having to crouch to hit skulks running on the floor and jump to hit lerks flying. xD

The first person to write words using phase gates in siege maps...
    <a href="http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5211/wdfg26jm.png" target="_blank">http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5211/wdfg26jm.png</a>
    WDFG...
    When Darkness Falls Groupies!!! :D
    Oh yes first and only.. :P

We still won aswell...
    Wierd...
    It messed up using phase gates though, took six jumps to get to the front and 12 to get back to base... very amusing to people who just joined the game half way, sadly someone made that command that allows people to eject the commander.
  • TerminotaurTerminotaur Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3132Members
    edited July 2009
    I'm kind of socially retarded. Anyways, one time my older brother invited me to visit his college for a weekend while I was still in HS. I thought hey, that would be cool right?

Well I go up and proceed to get drunk for the first time at the age of 20. I know what you're thinking, wow what a pathetic nerd, but honestly I was never into the idea of getting drunk. This time was different though, because it was my older brother and he was actually treating me like a human being (my relationship with him could be it's own E/N thread). Anyways I get drunk and have a blast with him and his friends, who decide after a little drinking it's time to hit the bars. So I join them.

We go to this bar and meet up with a bunch of people he knows. There was this one girl who had a big bosom, I think her name was Erica, and I was just absolutely smitten when I saw her. She was totally stunning.

For once in my life I actually hit it off with someone. I was laughing, and so was she (a first!), we were both looking at each other and I could tell it was going to get hot. After about five minutes of conversation I pull out the slickest move in my book:

'Hey, want to go back to your place and make love?'

She kind of laughs, but when she realizes I'm serious she kind of turns away. When I tried to keep talking to her she just kinda looked at me sideways and laughed. I didn't know what to do, so I started poking her and generally being cute. She doesn't buy it though. So, in my last ditch effort, I pull out a line that should have worked like a charm.

'Hey, maybe we can just go back to your place and I can eat you out and we can cuddle.'

She starts laughing in my face. I felt really bad so I started crying. When my older brother found out what I'd said he called me a ######, ordered me to leave the bar, and told me to go home. I drove 140 miles home very drunk and pretty sad. That was pretty much the worst.
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    well...there was a lot of different opinions and hatred towards fellow clan members so.. i had to cut one of them while i was a former x/0 and others just wanted to part of it. also the fact that only our good members would play because the other lesser members..."in my opinion" didn’t perform as well as they should. For example.. i recruit a guy named Duke he was in x/0 for 1 week and learned our strats easily as for other members who were in....since the beginning knew NOTHING and that slowed us down to getting to be one of the top clans. And they would always beg to play and would get pissed if i said no so i said...ok...###### it. I told pman if these guys are not cut ill just take all the friends i have who have the same opinion as me and make a new clan
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1719026:date=Jul 23 2009, 03:47 PM:name=PneumaticCrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PneumaticCrab @ Jul 23 2009, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1719026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well...there was a lot of different opinions and hatred towards fellow clan members so.. i had to cut one of them while i was a former x/0 and others just wanted to part of it. also the fact that only our good members would play because the other lesser members..."in my opinion" didn’t perform as well as they should. For example.. i recruit a guy named Duke he was in x/0 for 1 week and learned our strats easily as for other members who were in....since the beginning knew NOTHING and that slowed us down to getting to be one of the top clans. And they would always beg to play and would get pissed if i said no so i said...ok...###### it. I told pman if these guys are not cut ill just take all the friends i have who have the same opinion as me and make a new clan<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://web.archive.org/web/20030726192224/nsa.wideloader.com/interviews.php?id=5" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20030726192224/...rviews.php?id=5</a>

Should NS move to the new HL2 "Source Engine"?