The New Email system

TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
edited June 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it really safe?</div>This is horrable! I mean they added so you can retrieve you CD key or what it's called. And now you can change your email :O.

Allright here is my point:

Imagine that we had someone at the community that is planing to do this evil deeds. He/She simply just need to found out everyones/someones email and change them to one of he/she's own and just request that the CD key gets resent.

I hope this isn't possible, but seems to be...

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I have to confess that I had the same concerns, but I didn't test it.
    Bare in mind though that it says "you have to validate your old email adress" , when you change it to a new one.
    I guess you'll get some kind of activation/confirmation mail to change to a new email adress.
    Then again I don't understand what's going to happen with those that don't have access to their old e-mail anymore??

Anyway all those options to get your key and change your stuff seems a little to casual to me even if it's supposed to be safe.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2009
    I agree.

I haven't been in need of changeing my email tho, so can't really know the process.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Do you think there is anyone in the community capable of this?

If yes, should we worry?
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I used the same email address to buy ns2 for my friend and myself. Will my friend be able to change the address later on eg. in-game?
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pSyk0mAn: I guess you'll get some kind of activation/confirmation mail to change to a new email adress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Back on topic: could someone who has actually changed his/her email confirm this?
  • Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    I just tested it. A conformation email is sent to your old email address and must be clicked within a timelimit to change which email it's registered to. Not really a good solution for those that don't have access to their emails anymore. An alternative they could implement is have player wanting to change their emails simply buy the game again and ask for a refund on the emails they don't have access to.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Maybe Terrorists steal our CD Keys to ... play our games, worst case scenario.

I think they made it safe anyway :)
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1713906:date=Jun 25 2009, 04:29 AM:name=Soli Deo Gloria)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soli Deo Gloria @ Jun 25 2009, 04:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just tested it. A conformation email is sent to your old email address and must be clicked within a timelimit to change which email it's registered to. Not really a good solution for those that don't have access to their emails anymore. An alternative they could implement is have player wanting to change their emails simply buy the game again and ask for a refund on the emails they don't have access to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am a bit confused as to who would buy a game using an email address that they no longer use?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Its as safe as it could possibly be considering how the pre-orders work.
    To change your email address, you need to validate it from your old one first.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It works well for many people who just want to change their email address. For those few who are still unable to access their old email they will still need to email charlie@unknownworlds.com so he can handle them. It removes a lot of the hand work for them, but there is still a few cases where manual labour is needed :P
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    I plan to change my email that my cd key is currently registered to - so I'm glad they did this.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Keep in mind that the e-mail change doesn't go through unless you click the link that's sent to the old e-mail address. Ie, you need to be able to read the e-mail at the old address, so security shouldn't be a concern here.

The only problem I can think of here is if you mistakenly type in the new e-mail address incorrectly and don't have access to that. So it would be possible to change your e-mail address on file to one you don't own. This could be addressed by validating an e-mail sent to both the old e-mail and the new one, but that seems like overkill to me.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Charlie, just have the request for the email change timeout after a day or so. Also have the new email address in the validation one sent to the old email. This way if they see it is wrong, they can just try again in a day or so.
    Well, it seems that there is no need for worries anylonger.

I was thinking why can't the email information be connected to the account you have here at the site?

In that case you can only get accses to the email information and changeing capability through your account

But I might just be alittle bit paranoid.

I like your expression Charlie: "seems like overkill to me"
  • KassingerKassinger Shades of grey Join Date: 2002-02-20 Member: 229Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714075:date=Jun 26 2009, 12:32 PM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Jun 26 2009, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking why can't the email information be connected to the account you have here at the site?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be a bad solution, as everyone has e-mail accounts, and not that many (relatively) have Unknown worlds forum accounts. And yes, you are paranoid. :)
    I guess I should say "Thank you"?