Public Server DC over SC

EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Why?</div>Why are most pubs picking DC over SC? It only promotes marine turtling and when the turtling works, Armor 3 jp HMGs take 4 fade swipes which is so hard against almost any decent NS player. No other life form besides fades and onos benefit from DC plus both would be better suited with either focus or sof.

SC is so much more usefull to skulks than any DC upgrade, leaping celerity focus skulks do so much damage and can help out with JPs.

Please dont say its for the onos, because sof for an onos is better than any DC upgrade. SOF I would have to say is better than MT because it shows camping marines.

The only benefit is that DC carapace may allow players to make more mistakes and still live. Regen just takes too long.

Comments

• tekproxytekproxy Join Date: 2005-03-11 Member: 44813Members, Constellation
    They're both good.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2008
    I assume you mean for the 2nd chamber.

As a fade, I've always preferred regen over focus. Sure some players prefer it the other way, but I don't. With meta, you can regen SO QUICKLY. You take more hits than if you have focus, but you come back a lot faster, and imo you're safer and do more overall damage. While you're worse against JPs, to me, you're better in all other situations. And even JPs, I'd say you're better at 'staying in the fight' if he's really good at dodging and chasing you.

DCs are also phenomenal for their proximity healing. When healing a hive, they are at their best; when placed well throughout the map, they really, really help for heal (and they ARE better than the old DCs at that).

When it comes to upgrades for the other lifeforms, it all depends on your style, but I swear by the adren/regen skulk when I have two hives. Constant leap makes you a much harder target than Cel, gets you around the map faster, and lets you chomp down any and every RT at maximum speed while still having all your energy ready to fight off anyone coming to save the RT. Add in Regen and knowing when to just abort a fight, and this skulk becomes the perfect anti-RT lifeform, which we all know is how you win a game of NS.

If I had SC for second chamber, I'd use scent with adren; same deal for taking out RTs, and you'd get some warning, but you're pretty f***** if you ever get hit. Innate regen won't help enough. If the marines are really fighting and I need to be more combative, its adren/focus, but with that combo, I'd hate to hit RTs. The lower damage output of focus seems to be huge when you're hitting structures.

And dude, an MC/DC onos is infinitely better than an MC/SC onos. No clue where you're coming from on that.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    Because pubbers only have half of "hit and run" down.
  • EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
    Adren as a skulk? If you are leaping in battle enough that you need more adren then I havnt even played against a pubber that is that bad.

Regen as a skulk is useless because you could leap/bh to the hive and back before regen would have worked.

Regen as a fade in battle is useless because even if the marines are bad you may get two ticks worth of regen before its time to move out. Its usefull to quickly regen but by then the 4 hit marines are already welded and its back to square 1.

I guess its more of a skill gap and the different ways of using lifeforms.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been using adren as a TWO HIVE SKULK (definitely cel or silence for 1 hive) for years now. If you're used to it, you have pretty much the same mobility as a fade. Fly in, bite once or twice, and the leap straight up (or out and then use air control to be an even harder target), then leap back down, bite once or twice, leap away before the marines can really target you well...

It works beautifully. And especially against the better players. Pubbers are easy pickings with this combat technique, and with regen, even the few lucky hits marines might get will be gone by the time I'm at the next fight.

Add in the fantastic benefits of adren for when you're on RT duty (full energy all the way until the RT is down, and full energy for if a marine comes to defend the RT), and add in the absolutely faster map travel, and it is hands-down the better choice. My old buddies have all stayed with Cel on 2-hives, and thats a choice anyone can make, but I see it as staying in your 'comfort zone' (since we all use it for the early game) rather than trying a new technique that makes sense but requires some effort to overcome yet another learning curve in a game full of them.

And LOL at the 'regen for fade is useless' comment. Saying that and then saying 'i guess its a matter of a skill gap' is hilarious and frankly, delusional.

But, to each their own.
  • F4tManMGS2F4tManMGS2 Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27842Members
    edited September 2008
    the most common reason to go DC instead of SC in pubs tends to be the mentality that an onos is some sort of god-like figure that will win any game, once you get one, and that DC is much better at helping that one godly onos than SC is at helping the rest of your team.

ps -- while you did say not to say that DC onos was the reason, I'm merely pointing out the reason why most people who cry aloud DROP DCS NOW as that fateful voice says "our hive is complete" claim is the logic behind their request.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1688599:date=Sep 22 2008, 09:47 AM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StixNStonz @ Sep 22 2008, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1688599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been using adren as a TWO HIVE SKULK (definitely cel or silence for 1 hive) for years now. If you're used to it, you have pretty much the same mobility as a fade. Fly in, bite once or twice, and the leap straight up (or out and then use air control to be an even harder target), then leap back down, bite once or twice, leap away before the marines can really target you well...

It works beautifully. And especially against the better players. Pubbers are easy pickings with this combat technique, and with regen, even the few lucky hits marines might get will be gone by the time I'm at the next fight.

Add in the fantastic benefits of adren for when you're on RT duty (full energy all the way until the RT is down, and full energy for if a marine comes to defend the RT), and add in the absolutely faster map travel, and it is hands-down the better choice. My old buddies have all stayed with Cel on 2-hives, and thats a choice anyone can make, but I see it as staying in your 'comfort zone' (since we all use it for the early game) rather than trying a new technique that makes sense but requires some effort to overcome yet another learning curve in a game full of them.

And LOL at the 'regen for fade is useless' comment. Saying that and then saying 'i guess its a matter of a skill gap' is hilarious and frankly, delusional.

But, to each their own.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A cel skulk can easily leap 4 consecutive times in a fight and follow up with more than enough bites to kill a marine. Seldom are more than 2 consecutive leaps needed. Even if you were using a leap in, bite, leap out tactic you could easily repeat this 3-5 times depending how fast you repeat it.
    As far an adren skulk having faster map travel..thats simply not true.

Regen is obviously not 'useless' as a fade, but certainly less useful than cara in almost any situation "where it actually matters". Against top marines with lvl3 heavy weapons any regen fade is going to have ###### of a time killing anything, especially assuming the presence of DCs means no focus.
  • EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
    I just find that DC is the reason why marines can just lock down one hive get jps and win easily.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Indeed, without focus the marine team remains wide open to end game jetpacks.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I think it's just residual from the difference in play styles. I see mc_>sc 90% of the time, but dc used to be second because it benefits higher lifeforms more than sc if you're not adept at focus. Using focus is different timing from normal biting/swiping and a lot of non-competitive players didn't take/have the time early on to learn to use it effectively. In short DC is the "lazy pubbers" choice.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Occasionally there are some benefits from DC 2nd depending on the map and game situation, but usually I prefer SC over DC, because I think lifeforms benefit more from focus and sof than from carapace or regen. Since we are probably talking big servers here, which most are unfortunately, there are usually more fades and less oni due to resflow and a single onos is a joke anyway on those servers wether it uses DC or SC.
    The biggest pubnoobs go for sc-dc-mc anyway, because it helps their oc spam best, so I don't see how dc 2nd could be the "lazy pubber's" choice, because it's far more easy to get kills with focus than without.
  • enigmaenigma Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31623Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1688599:date=Sep 22 2008, 11:47 AM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StixNStonz @ Sep 22 2008, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1688599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been using <b>adren as a TWO HIVE SKULK</b> (definitely cel or silence for 1 hive) for years now. If you're used to it, you have pretty much the same mobility as a fade. Fly in, bite once or twice, and the leap straight up (or out and then use air control to be an even harder target), then leap back down, bite once or twice, leap away before the marines can really target you well...

<b>It works beautifully.</b> And <b>especially against the better players</b>. Pubbers are easy pickings with this combat technique, and with regen, even the few lucky hits marines might get will be gone by the time I'm at the next fight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>lol</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->