Crashing in lua_open

higgins01higgins01 Join Date: 2008-05-21 Member: 64303Members
I have a large C++ program (sprgen.exe) that I linked the Lua 5.0.2 sources into. Not a game, I use Lua to do some image processing simulations. I'd like to have a nice debugger and decoda looks great. But when I start up my program from decoda I get "Unhandled exception at ... in sprgen.exe: ...: Access violation reading location ...". It looks like it happens just after returning from lua_open, the decoda output says VM created.
They say "without making any code changes" but I would gladly change my code if it would make it play with decoda. But I don't know where to start.

Comments

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1679105:date=May 21 2008, 12:43 PM:name=higgins01)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(higgins01 @ May 21 2008, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1679105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a large C++ program (sprgen.exe) that I linked the Lua 5.0.2 sources into. Not a game, I use Lua to do some image processing simulations. I'd like to have a nice debugger and decoda looks great. But when I start up my program from decoda I get "Unhandled exception at ... in sprgen.exe: ...: Access violation reading location ...". It looks like it happens just after returning from lua_open, the decoda output says VM created.
    They say "without making any code changes" but I would gladly change my code if it would make it play with decoda. But I don't know where to start.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is there any way you could send us the application you are trying to debug, either in binary or source code form? My e-mail is max@unknownworlds.com.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    For the sake of the archives, this problem was caused by the fact the application being debugged was compiled with a structure alignment of 1 byte which caused Decoda to crash when attempting to emulate lua_pushthread for Lua 5.0. The bug is fixed in the next release (Decoda 1.10).