The Tribes community

TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
I've been reliving my nostalgia of the first time I bought Starsiege for $20, and when I first ever played Tribes (my very first online FPS), and it really makes me want to start playing again. Now that there are some combined master servers, is there anyone HERE who still plays and can tell me what the community is like? I'm dreaming for a day when 200 people begin playing it casually again and revive the community.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I still sort of play. I haven't in a while but I've certainly played more than your average person. I'm pretty sure there are still a few busy servers at any one time.

And yes, Starsiege: Tribes is the best game ever made.
  • ChronoChrono Local flyboy Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18989Members
    i never understood how they managed to make such awesome netcode that let me play 64 player deathmatch on 56k
  • TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
    Tribes has over 85 people playing at this moment. Promising. Time for me to start playing again. If we can get a bunch of NS OT'ers and their friends back into it, we'd have a pretty rockin' private Tribes community for ourselves.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Are we talking Tribes or Tribes 2 here?
    edited April 2008
    Tribes 1. Tribes 2 lacked the close-quarters fury that Tribes 1 had and I just didn't enjoy it as much.

EDIT: Tribes is still amazing but it has the same problem it always has had. Too many mods, and you never get an explanation for what each mod does.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I played T1 until modded servers made it near impossible to have a game of base tribes. Gigantic pain in the arse, joining a server and not knowing the rules.

--Scythe--
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Scythe, of course, has yet to learn how to check if "base" is in the name of the server before joining it.
    Or Renegade. A lot of servers are running overcomplicated mods like Annihilation and Shifter, which I could never be bothered with.
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1676848:date=Apr 25 2008, 05:22 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Apr 25 2008, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1676848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still sort of play. I haven't in a while but I've certainly played more than your average person. I'm pretty sure there are still a few busy servers at any one time.

And yes, Starsiege: Tribes is the best game ever made.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agree
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    edited April 2008
    First time I played tribes I enjoyed it, but then stopped playing it in favour of some other game I can't even remember now.

Then when I went back to it about a year ago, the only people still playing are so insanely good at the game that I couldn't enjoy it any more. They're just too damn good.

So yeah, watch out for that.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    that was the problem I had when I tried getting into it.

Watching people ski and ludicrous speed was just not really all that fun tbh.
    Don't join a skill-based FPS with lots of nuances and expect to play right off the bat. I've been practicing Promode off and on for months and am still not really at a respectable or viable level of skill to play most other players. The thing is, for the time put in, the reward is immense and the higher skill level you play at, the more fun the game becomes which makes it timeless. Also what you learn in them carries on to most games.
    I don't think many of us will want to play a game where it takes months to not even reach a competitive level. Look at how much people ###### at dwarf fortress for having a steep learning curve, and that game can be learned in less than a week.
    Dwarf Fortress terrifies me and I have never touched it past the initial opening it and going D:.
    You obviously lack beardy power.