Please, oh please, keep bunnyhop

13»

Comments

• epkepk Join Date: 2007-10-22 Member: 62704Members
    well, bunnyhop is alot of the gameplay. for some reason the devlopers always follow the anti bhop crowd instead of the bh-type. i dont know if you guys ever heard of a hl mod called PVK, pirates, vikings and knights. And well, they recently made a PVK2, without bunnyhop - and i can tell you its a whole new game. A whole new game full of crap, the speed and action is all gone. I hate to see it happend with NS2.
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    What I love about NS1:

1) Combination of action and strategy
    2) The ability to master MOVEMENT

Being able to out maneuver the other team (marine bhopping or alien bhopping) is essential to my enjoyment of the game. Even if bhop is not in, I REALLY want the same degree of air control. And that is really it: I want to be able to control every nuance of my movements, whether marine or alien. Oh yeah, I don't like the idea of marine sprint/"booking"
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    Look I only have about 4 minutes to write this before I start on homework, but here's the 2 sides of the coin in a nutshell:

Bunnyhopping needs to be removed because:
    1. It's an integral skill that is required in close combat situations in order to play effectively.
    2. It's unintuitive and thereby turns players off to the game due to the frustration element it creates in frag counts.

Bunnyhopping does not need to be removed because:
    1. It's unintuitive.
    2. Or because it's difficult.

The problem is not that bunnyhopping is <i>hard</i> or <i>unintuitive</i> or<i>complex</i>. <b>The problem with bunnyhop is that it is a required close-combat skill for basic run-of-the-mill NS games.</b>

If an intuitive alternative were produced that was <b>mutually exclusive</b> to airspeed control (ie, a rocket boost that would prevent you from gaining speed by turning, etc.) which was <i>significantly more advantageous</i> in close combat situations than airspeed control, then you would wind up with the best of both worlds - advanced players could more quickly navigate the map through airspeed control (sustained, faster movement) and new players would be able to keep up in close combat situations, because of an <i>intuitive tool which creates a burst of speed</i> lent to them in place of the existing unintuitive and frustrating system.
  • MAAADMAAAD Join Date: 2007-10-25 Member: 62735Members
    i think bunnyjump is a good movement but new movements with a medium-high curve to dominate the skill maybe better.

i have lot of good ideas like increasing movement speed by using lot of adrenaline in a short time(3-4 sec), diagonal jumps with skills like movement 1...
  • DominingDomining Join Date: 2007-09-27 Member: 62452Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1657553:date=Oct 24 2007, 04:06 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Oct 24 2007, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Look I only have about 4 minutes to write this before I start on homework, but here's the 2 sides of the coin in a nutshell:

Bunnyhopping needs to be removed because:
    1. It's an integral skill that is required in close combat situations in order to play effectively.
    2. It's unintuitive and thereby turns players off to the game due to the frustration element it creates in frag counts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1) No. This argument doesn't work, you don't NEED to bunnyhop to kill marines, you just want to do it because sitting around is boring. But you can most definitely get as many kills by ambushing as you can by bunnyhopping, you can get even more actually.
    2) It might be unintuitive, but its not required. It is true that good players get more kills than bad players, but bunnyhopping has nothing to do with it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is not that bunnyhopping is <i>hard</i> or <i>unintuitive</i> or<i>complex</i>. <b>The problem with bunnyhop is that it is a required close-combat skill for basic run-of-the-mill NS games.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its not required, but ns gets boring without it. So in a sense NS requires you to learn to bhop or it'll take you forever to move between point A and point B. This can be remedied without removing bhop.

"Unintuitive" is basically the only argument you have against bunnyhop, and for me that isn't enough. Of course if the devs create some kickass system to replace it, I'm down. I hope they also reveal what it is soon.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1657676:date=Oct 25 2007, 11:14 AM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Oct 25 2007, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) No. This argument doesn't work, you don't NEED to bunnyhop to kill marines, you just want to do it because sitting around is boring. But you can most definitely get as many kills by ambushing as you can by bunnyhopping, you can get even more actually.
    2) It might be unintuitive, but its not required. It is true that good players get more kills than bad players, but bunnyhopping has nothing to do with it.
    Its not required, but ns gets boring without it. So in a sense NS requires you to learn to bhop or it'll take you forever to move between point A and point B. This can be remedied without removing bhop.

"Unintuitive" is basically the only argument you have against bunnyhop, and for me that isn't enough. Of course if the devs create some kickass system to replace it, I'm down. I hope they also reveal what it is soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree.
    First, BHop is important in close quarters combat, especially for marines. Although there's the slowdown upon landing for marines a single BHop out of the range of that second second bite is crucial.
    Next, you say that you only use BHop to go from point A to B because you'd be bored otherwise and because it's faster. If there was a way to move from point A to point B faster without bunny hopping why wouldn't you take it? You could use the concentration you freed up to look at the map and have better global situation awareness. It doesn't matter you got there fast if you're at the wrong place.
    If all you're doing with BHop is moving from one place to another faster, then it being counterintuitive is plenty reason to replace it. If you really think people are bored when not BHopping then you want to make moving from place to place faster and easier. This way more people can do it or, at the very least, be bored for a shorter amount of time.
    Finally it was stated that BHop is being replaced in this thread by a dev, so that's not an 'if'.
    I also hope they reveal what it is soon.
    <!--quoteo(post=1657691:date=Oct 25 2007, 12:40 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Oct 25 2007, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657691"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First, BHop is important in close quarters combat, especially for marines. Although there's the slowdown upon landing for marines a single BHop out of the range of that second second bite is crucial.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If its a single jump its not a bhop, its a glide jump at best. If its ghost jumping you're talking about (duckjump + jump) those are ridiculously hard to pull off in combat if you actually want to aim at the skulk while performing them.

But yea, jumping away from skulks does help immensely but what does this have to do with bhop?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Next, you say that you only use BHop to go from point A to B because you'd be bored otherwise and because it's faster. If there was a way to move from point A to point B faster without bunny hopping why wouldn't you take it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would, which is why I said "This can be remedied without removing bhop."

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If all you're doing with BHop is moving from one place to another faster, then it being counterintuitive is plenty reason to replace it. If you really think people are bored when not BHopping then you want to make moving from place to place faster and easier. This way more people can do it or, at the very least, be bored for a shorter amount of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now you're getting it, minus the removing BHOP part. If you add a way to move around to places faster you'll just make bunnyhop less helpful - which is what I think a lot of players in this thread are actually petitioning about. Removing skill from movement is never a good idea.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    I had 4 minutes, so I misspoke.

Replace all instances of bhop or bunnyhop with "airspeed control".
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1657700:date=Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If its a single jump its not a bhop, its a glide jump at best. If its ghost jumping you're talking about (duckjump + jump) those are ridiculously hard to pull off in combat if you actually want to aim at the skulk while performing them.

But yea, jumping away from skulks does help immensely but what does this have to do with bhop?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because you use the same movement techniques as bhop to create the speed boost while jumping away from an alien(or towards the marine). If BHop were replaced this would change as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1657700:date=Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would, which is why I said "This can be remedied without removing bhop."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would agree with this statement if I thought the premise were true.
    <!--quoteo(post=1657700:date=Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Oct 25 2007, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now you're getting it, minus the removing BHOP part. If you add a way to move around to places faster you'll just make bunnyhop less helpful - which is what I think a lot of players in this thread are actually petitioning about. Removing skill from movement is never a good idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again, yes, if I agreed with your premise. I'm not opposed to having multiple movement options open, but if BHop was kept in it would be a required unituitive skill for close quarters combat.
  • enigmaenigma Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31623Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1657553:date=Oct 24 2007, 03:06 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Oct 24 2007, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657553"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. It's an integral skill that is required in close combat situations in order to play effectively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no, it's not. bunnyhopping is about the worst thing you could do in a close combat situation.
  • LeonLeon Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58131Members
    edited October 2007
    I was going to say the same. bunnyhopping or attempting to gets you killed in close quarters, much better off using other movement tricks.

Im confident you guys wont turn ns2 into tf2 or atleast im hoping, with all the movement nerfs/conc jumping being removed that happened with that game.
    Jumping in combat exposes more of your hitbox when you're right by the marine = ez 10bullet. But if the marine is terrible (not many gud players left in NS) you can bhop at him down a hallway and get a kill 5 mins faster than if you were to wait. Therefore cutting down on boringness.

<!--quoteo(post=1657728:date=Oct 25 2007, 03:34 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Oct 25 2007, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1657728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because you use the same movement techniques as bhop to create the speed boost while jumping away from an alien(or towards the marine). If BHop were replaced this would change as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh okay, glide jumping gives you an extra 20 units of speed at most , I never realized it made THAT much of a difference in combat. But hey, that's just me.
  • killkrazykillkrazy Join Date: 2007-09-10 Member: 62238Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removing skill from movement is never a good idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you actually stupid?
    This is not a friggin' Olympics simulation game, this is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, not a god damned FIRST PERSON RUNNING CONTEST.

Bunny hopping is a ridiculous side-effect of a dodgy engine, it was removed in HL2 and CS not because it was counter intuitive, not because people don't need to move that fast, not because of anything other than: IT WASN'T MEANT TO HAPPEN.

People cannot bunnyhop in real life, there's no need for the aliens to move faster than they do. Just stop being an asshat... arguing for the sake of it... and accept that bunnyhopping is stupid.

THe only time i've seen it ever be a part of the game intentionally is TFC (and FF), probably unintentionally in the beginning however. I cannot see it being necessary in any type of game other than Capture the Flag... only because you need to be faster than the people shooting at you when you have the flag.
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658425:date=Oct 29 2007, 08:26 PM:name=killkrazy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(killkrazy @ Oct 29 2007, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you actually stupid?
    This is not a friggin' Olympics simulation game, this is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER, not a god damned FIRST PERSON RUNNING CONTEST... Just stop being an asshat...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    BANSAUCE

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and accept that bunnyhopping is stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and accept that... ...my religion is superior to yours.

Now class, do you see a mistake in that logic?

<a href="http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/jafit/failboat.jpg" target="_blank">Link to big image</a>

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><i>Removed inline huge image. Replaced with link.
    --Ahnteis
    </i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • killkrazykillkrazy Join Date: 2007-09-10 Member: 62238Members
    edited October 2007
    you are saying that it requires blind faith for people to believe bunny hopping is dumb?
    More like: it requires a suspension of idiocy.

There is no such thing as Bunny Hopping in real life,
    there is no explanation why/how it would exist in the future (re-written laws of phsyics?),
    there is no tie to the NS Lore.

You totally fail to get any part of my post that debunks your absurd claims and only try to perpetuate the distaste I expressed for you. You do not quote and argue any valid points.

P.S. What kind of scum brings religion into this?
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    I'm thinking this "discussion" is starting to run its course. Be sensible or I'll lock the thread.
    <!--quoteo(post=1658477:date=Oct 30 2007, 07:50 AM:name=killkrazy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(killkrazy @ Oct 30 2007, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you are saying that it requires blind faith for people to believe bunny hopping is dumb?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No I wasn't, but I guess that your IQ isn't high enough to comprehend what I'm talking about. But its okay, feeble-mindedness is socially accepted in this day and age.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a - There is no such thing as Bunny Hopping in real life,
    b - there is no explanation why/how it would exist in the future (re-written laws of phsyics?),
    c - there is no tie to the NS Lore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    a) There is no such thing as teleportation in real life and there can be none, ever. A body can never move faster than the speed of life, if you come to the conclusion that it can - you've made a mistake. But physics is probably too hard a subject for you to grasp anyway. And maybe the fact that NS is still a game, one that's meant to be played at a competitive level.
    b) Neither is there any for blink. You can easily make one up though.
    c) Sure there is, aliens can bunny hop to gain speed because they are aliens. This further immerses us in the NS universe because aliens differ more from humans this way.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You totally fail to get any part of my post that debunks your absurd claims and only try to perpetuate the distaste I expressed for you. You do not quote and argue any valid points.

P.S. What kind of scum brings religion into this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, you're trying to argue ad hominem. I'm just making sure you know your place. (Middle school, getting picked on by the popular kids)

Voicing your opinion should require a license and you'd have to be at least 17 years of age to get it. That would successfully exclude you from the group for another 5 years.
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658494:date=Oct 30 2007, 12:52 PM:name=Domining)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Domining @ Oct 30 2007, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm just making sure you know your place. (Middle school, getting picked on by the popular kids)
    Voicing your opinion should require a license and you'd have to be at least 17 years of age to get it. That would successfully exclude you from the group for another 5 years.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Before this gets locked I would like to point out this is also an ad hominem attack. I don't agree with that statement regardless, voicing your opinion is the entire point of a forum. Granted parts of killkrazy's post were not so much opinion as an attack.
  • J!J! NS2 Artist Join Date: 2004-11-14 Member: 32788Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    Ok, that's enough.
This discussion has been closed.