To Dark, Reinstalled Video Drivers

MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
So I went to play NS after a driver reinstall recently and found it a little dark. A little brightness upping fixed it, no issues. Well of course it's new driver time so, uninstall, reinstall blah blah fun. Well I just loaded NS and it's bloody near black. I uped the brightness to max and a little on the gamma, still nearly black but a little better certainly. Well Now I'm lost because normal windows, other games, there fine. CS is fine to so...I know it's NS. Is there an easy fix or should I just uninstall and reinstall NS? Thanks for the help everyone.

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=621901601363575040&showtopic=100633" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=100633</a>

== 2. Natural Selection, and 64-Bit Operating Systems. ==
    Also known as:
    "Your display does not support downloadable gamma"
    Black sprites on the HUD
    Green scoreboard text

Causes:
    1. The Half-Life Gamma Ramp isn't compatible with your display drivers.

Fixes:
    1. The Half-Life Gamma Ramp isn't compatible with your display drivers.
    This problem is caused by the Gamma Ramp method being incompatible with the 64-bit display drivers. They handle gamma in a way which wasn't around when Half-Life was made, way back when. What you will need to do is twofold.
    First of all, open up the command console (default key: ` or ~), and type the following:
    CODE
    cl_gammaramp 0

That will disable the gamma ramp, leaving you to set it yourself. Obviously, this will lower the gamma dramatically. Then, what you need to do is to find the display options (under Options -> Video), and adjust the gamma upwards (Gamma slider is at the bottom right of the video options page). Then click Ok, which will then restart NS. Connect to your usual servers, and play away, with the proper display methods being used smile-fix.gif
  • MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
    Thanks for the post, that will actually come in handy. I'm still running 32 bit XP but I have recieved a copy of 64 Vista which I instead to install soon when i aquire another hard drive. However I reinstalled NS and that did fix the problem on my end at this time. However had I installed Vista I would have been mighty confused then.