Any Film Noir junkies out there?

404NotFound404NotFound Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58103Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Halp!</div>Ok, so I'm a bit of a Film Noir fan.

Not in the sense that I've seen a whole lot of it, but in the sense that every movie of the genre I've seen has been awesome. It's somewhat hard, and expensive, to find/rent classic film noir movies. I actually just ordered a few movies for my collection, notably "M" by Fritz Lang.

But one thing has always bugged me...

I can't find this one movie, it's been parodied MANY times. It's the movie where, at one point, the character is walking down a dark street as superimposed signs move to the sides of the character. It's been parodied almost everywhere... For example in Futurama, Episode3, where Bender goes sober and the signs are of the theme of non-alcoholic activities (library, water fountain, etc.)

If any movie experts out there could help me out, it would be much appretiated.

Comments

• RuByRuBy Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10732Members
    I've never seen this movie but once again wikipedia <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%2C_Roommate" target="_blank">saves the day</a>:

Are you talking about <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Weekend" target="_blank">The Lost Weekend</a>?
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The use of neon signs is common in Film Noir.

You could be thinking of Underworld or Taxi Driver though.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited June 2007
    If you want a good Film Noir check out <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054389/" target="_blank">Tirez sur la pianiste</a> (yes it's French but if you're not prepared to put up with a few subtitles, as a Film Noir fan you're seriously missing out on a lot).
  • 404NotFound404NotFound Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58103Members
    Yes, The Lost Weekend. That's exactly it.

So maybe it's not Film Noir... I must have made the connection in my head because of the director, Billy Wilder.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    Not my taste really but "Brick" got my friend all going and he likes those films.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <i>Veronica Mars</i>, mostly seasons 1 and 2, is good TV noir. It's modern day and it's more like half noir/half teen drama but hey, you take what you can get, right? Also it's awesome.
  • OmegamanOmegaman Join Date: 2004-01-11 Member: 25239Members
    I'm a huge Film Noir fan, ever since I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a kid. My faovirte video game is Max Payne 2.
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    I'm learning about film noire in cinema class and I actually have a test tommorow...

I liked double idemnity, but this "meet hot chick, kill her husband, get caught" formula is getting old, after watching body heat.

I also have payne 2 and watched brick.
  • 404NotFound404NotFound Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58103Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1635730:date=Jun 25 2007, 05:52 AM:name=SmoodCroozn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmoodCroozn @ Jun 25 2007, 05:52 AM) [snapback]1635730[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I'm learning about film noire in cinema class and I actually have a test tommorow...

I liked double idemnity, but this "meet hot chick, kill her husband, get caught" formula is getting old, after watching body heat.

I also have payne 2 and watched brick.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually got Double Indemnity. It's a good movie, but the 1940s time period make it seem much more innocuous than it really is.

Also, The Big Sleep is pretty good.
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    Watched The man who wasn't there in film class...

Among the good stuff:

Billy Bob Thornton has a monotone
    Few dialogue
    attempted blowjo...