Remote Cameras

rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Another use for the Obs</div>Maybe the obs could be altered to be used as a remote camera. idea:

The comm could drop it in the corner of a hive (or wherever) and orient it to see a useful view of the hive room, or corridors approaching the hive room. He could patch the video through to the huds of a specific squad, so they have a small picture-in-picture of what the camera sees.

Would be pretty cool if you're the squad tasked with guarding a hive room and you can see one approach to it, while watching the other yourself.

Comments

• SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Kind of pointless when someone has to run into the hive and build it. Neither do Kharaa look nicely upon marine buildings in their hive area.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    Rather than have the camera attached to the Observatory, why not use the Observatory to "hack" any existing cameras placed on the map within its signal range? Doesn't the Observatory already kind of "hack" the enviroment's nanites to enable marines with individual motion tracking?

And instead of cluttering the marine's Heads Up Display (HUD) with the camera(s) perspective, just place it on one of the many computer screens that seem to be littered around most maps ... you know, the ones that usually say EMERGENCY: EVACUATE in big red letters already.

I think there is great merit for expanding upon the Observatory's (or other similar structures) to include further technological tree branches, especially camera hacks that we already familiar with from Half-Life 2 gameplay.
  • Fl4THeAdFl4THeAd Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18587Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1634001:date=Jun 17 2007, 10:01 AM:name=CanadianWolverine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CanadianWolverine @ Jun 17 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]1634001[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Rather than have the camera attached to the Observatory, why not use the Observatory to "hack" any existing cameras placed on the map within its signal range? Doesn't the Observatory already kind of "hack" the enviroment's nanites to enable marines with individual motion tracking?

And instead of cluttering the marine's Heads Up Display (HUD) with the camera(s) perspective, just place it on one of the many computer screens that seem to be littered around most maps ... you know, the ones that usually say EMERGENCY: EVACUATE in big red letters already.

I think there is great merit for expanding upon the Observatory's (or other similar structures) to include further technological tree branches, especially camera hacks that we already familiar with from Half-Life 2 gameplay.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like that idea.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    edited June 2007
    I like the idea of letting the obs upgrade a mobility option that would allow a marine to pick it up and pilot it by remote while granting the pilot a camera feed on the HUD.
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    i am pretty sure that this just wastes mhz
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1636657:date=Jun 30 2007, 11:43 AM:name=Ollj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ollj @ Jun 30 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1636657[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i am pretty sure that this just wastes mhz
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-_- not that much... In fact, helmet cams are already implemented in some FPS games.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    We don't need more marines sitting around observing, one commander is impairing enough.

Fl4THeAd had something going tho, get a quick flinch on a random monitor and perhaps spot something, tis all good.