Funding

ColeCole Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8392Members
I remember reading about plans to attempt to get funded, or sponsored by some company. Is this still going on? Still got someone working on PR for you? What sort of impact will major(thousands, not hundreds) monetary contributions have on the development, and a timely release of NS2?

With the crap games getting sold under larger labels, I'm starting to get the impression its pretty easy to find someone willing to throw money your way. Is this a business decision, trying to keep things privately owned, or do you still need help getting a company to sponsor this project?

Comments

• demmdemm Join Date: 2003-09-10 Member: 20714Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Diamond
    From <a href="http://www.tech2.com/india/topstuff/pc-gaming/an-interview-with-unknown-worlds/5732/2" target="_blank">this</a> interview:
    <i>From what we’ve heard the project is on a pretty tight budget; how hard is it to develop a game without financial backing from a publisher?</i>
    It's a bit tricky to be sure, but it's nothing new to us. We developed NS1 on a tiny budget and we think we can do it again. This time around we have standing investment offers that we can take if we absolutely need to, but we're going to try to do it totally independently first.

Maybe someone could add some of the questions answered in the interview to the FAQ.
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    From what I've heard, the basic issue is anytime you take money from someone else, it comes with strings attached. The team doesn't want to be working with strings attached, and they've got a bit of a budget already with Consty + Zen of Sudoku profit, so they're hoping they can pull it off without taking outside funding unless absolutely necessary.

Thats a decision I completely support, by the way. Go NS team!
  • AlcapwnAlcapwn &quot;War is the science of destruction&quot; - John Abbot Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17590Members
    They should make some more casual games to get even more money in.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    NS2 is the major hurdle that Unknown Worlds needs to get over. Once the game is released (and if it holds the same quality that NS and ZoS do, which I know it won't! :D) NS2 will be the money wave and product example (moreso than NS1, because NS2 will be stand alone, and shinier) that Unknown Worlds needs to get their foot in the door and strut their stuff.

Don't cave! Beg us for money instead of a crappy producer like EA (shudder)!!!!!