Whats the best 3d modelling program to use?

AmazonAmazon Join Date: 2003-12-06 Member: 24083Members
Hi,

I'm a noob modeller, I need to knkow the best 3d modelling program. And it'll help if you guys know the location of tutorials on making 3d models. Anyone?

thanks

Comments

• SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://dayofdefeat.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-51089.html" target="_blank">http://dayofdefeat.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-51089.html</a>

Your basic best-bet options are 3ds max if you want an expensive, professional package, and Milkshape 3D if you want cheap and (relatively) easy.

Keep in mind that once you have learned one program, you are unlikely to swich to another, because they all have steep learning curves, and they work very differently.
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    Milkshape is very good for learning the principles/theory and basics behind modelling, and it's cheap and easy to use, but if you're looking to get seriously into modelling then I would recommend 3D Studio Max, as it is generally regarded as the industry standard for a good reason, once you've learned the UI it's incredibly powerful and a lot easier to do things with than milkshape is. Maya and XSI I've heard are also good, I haven't used either of them myself.
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    XSI is excellent for Source modeling, given that it's what Valve used to create most HL2 assets. But I've been unable to find any Half Life 1 .smd exporters for it.

Maya is another professional level modeling package, but I haven't been able to find any HL1 .smd exporters for it (though I have seen a Source .smd exporter)

As long as we're listing heavy-duty modeling programs that aren't useful for Half-Life 1, Blender is a great modeling program, every bit the equal of Max, XSI, or Maya. But I think it's safe to assume that since he's asking here in the NS forums, he wants something that can make HL1 .smds. That means Max or MS3D.
    Just so long as we're on the subject - Blender is absolutely horrible, I woulsn't use it if I was paid to. Don't use it. Your choices are basically 3DSM or Maya 9as XSI isn't used <b>ANYWHERE</b> outside of the Source modding community). Milkshape is a stepping stone on the way to using 3DSM or Maya, basically. You shouldn't imo be using any other apps.
  • Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
    There is also GMAX from the same makers of 3d max. Its a free scaled down version of 3d max 4.1. If you get used to work with it, you basicly know the basics of 3d max. The only drawback about GMAX is the slowlyness (lack) of updates. But it still is prety good to use if you plan on purchasing 3d max one day.

The only official place to get it now (besides Fileplanet), is www.turbosquid.com where I am the oldest forum moderator there (5 years). Registering process for GMAX sucks but if you read the sticky messages, its a snap.
    <!--quoteo(post=1623571:date=Apr 28 2007, 03:21 AM:name=Browser_ICE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Browser_ICE @ Apr 28 2007, 03:21 AM) [snapback]1623571[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only drawback about GMAX is the slowlyness (lack) of updates<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the fact that it won't let you render? Haven't used GMax in a whole but I'm pretty sure that used to be the case.