cant compile model

DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
friend of mine cant compile these hl models, asked me to post the code here for help

<a href="http://blackmage.org/nsradio/Blah.rar" target="_blank">http://blackmage.org/nsradio/Blah.rar</a>

Comments

• SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    The textures (the .bmp files) need to be 8 bit (256 color).
  • MisiMisi Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60302Members
    Well thats half the problem. Second was, when trying to compile it i was unable to figure out how to do 2 different skins with the model. One being a red version and one a black. But even when compiled it didnt show up correctly. Using one half from the red skin and one from the black.

Any assistance with this is welcomed.
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    Like how there's a black marine and a white marine on the standard NS marine model?

You know that the system chooses that and not the player, right?

Are you using this for an MvM setup? Why do you need two skins?
    No as with the black and white marine, it's random I understand this. What i was trying to implement was something similar. It would be a Red Blood Angels Skin then a Black Blood Angels Death Company skin that would be randomised in the same way the default marine was.
  • suicidegoatsuicidegoat Join Date: 2006-12-16 Member: 59106Members
    First off, one of the textures is still 24bit.
    Have you considered naming one of your skins "Marine_final.bmp", and the other one "Marine_black_01.bmp"? :-P

Seriously, if you look in the player.qc file you'll see a section commented "2 skin families". Each skin is separated by squiggly brackets. If you replace the skin names there with your own skin names, you should have a good start. If you have more than one UVWmap for each color, then you should try playing around with putting two textures in between the brackets, separated by a space, comma, or semicolon. Best of luck.
    <!--quoteo(post=1614971:date=Mar 16 2007, 09:42 PM:name=SnappyCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SnappyCrunch @ Mar 16 2007, 09:42 PM) [snapback]1614971[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Have you considered naming one of your skins "Marine_final.bmp", and the other one "Marine_black_01.bmp"? :-P

Seriously, if you look in the player.qc file you'll see a section commented "2 skin families". Each skin is separated by squiggly brackets. If you replace the skin names there with your own skin names, you should have a good start. If you have more than one UVWmap for each color, then you should try playing around with putting two textures in between the brackets, separated by a space, comma, or semicolon. Best of luck.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If only it were that easy. The Original Skinner of the model skinned it really funky as in the body is split into 2 groups Default1/Default1_2 for the body and Default2/Default2_2 for the head, arms and shoulder pads.
    If I knew how to combine the skins to somewhat resemble the original marine that wouldn't be a issue but since I don't thats why I've come here seeking assistance.

And SuicideGoat, Yes I Know that the second textures is 24bit, At the time of the Zip file posting Drummer and I couldn't figure out how to convert it to 8bit without it looking like crap. Swift` in the NsRadio irc Assisted with that by converting them to 8bit w/o loss of quality and explaining how and what program to use.
    edited March 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1615046:date=Mar 16 2007, 11:08 PM:name=Misi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Misi @ Mar 16 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1615046[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If only it were that easy. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Actually, it is that easy. I just did it, according to the suggestions I posted earlier. The relevant portion of the .qc file should look like this:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->// 2 skin families
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "default_1.bmp" "default_2.bmp" "intake.bmp" "jet.bmp" }
    { "default_1_2.bmp" "default_2_2.bmp" "intake_2.bmp" "jet_2.bmp"}
    }
    <!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I wasnt aware that you could do { "default_1.bmp" "default_2.bmp" "intake.bmp" "jet.bmp" } all together/ Hmm

Ahh It works! Thanks Crunch
    That's why I suggested it earlier.