Blog update - NS survey results

12346»

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    So, assuming all of this Higher Level Skill Dogma represents the Truth of NS...

I'd like a supposition as to why I would pay money for a game that requires me to spend months developing hand-eye coordination and untold hours of map and strategy memorization along with the requirement that I surround myself with other players who have similarly devoted themselves to this regiment for no other purpose than having "fun".

Why, pray tell, would I choose that over a game that I can purchase, install, and enjoy in no more than the time it takes to finish a training level?
  • MrBenMrBen ns_eclipse, ns_veil caretaker Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8575Members
    edited February 2007
    Because you'd like a game with depth to it? One where gameplay and individual skill are easy to learn but difficult to perfect? Because you enjoy self improvement and learning new skills even after playing the game for an extended period of time? Because you'd like strategy to have a level of complexity beyond someone totally new being able to totally grasp it within a hour? Because you like to experiment with different strategies? Because there's a plethora of different roles within the game, each with an unlimited list of tricks and knowledge to learn? Because games which can be quickly mastered soon become boring? Because you like to play team orientated games rich in communication? Because you like playing with your friends on a regular basis working towards a common goal of self improvement? Because you prefer playing with people you know? Because you like your team to read from the same page? Because you don't like random idiots ruining rounds by selfishly wasting their res? Because you hate it when your commander doesn't know what to do? Because when you play with the same people every day you learn how they play allowing you to better support each other? Because as with everything in life it's more fun to play with friends?

Need more?
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    So, with NS2, I won't be buying a game - I'll be buying a career?

No thanks. I already have a job.
  • MrBenMrBen ns_eclipse, ns_veil caretaker Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8575Members
    No, but nice try, ######. You'll be buying a game which has all that if you want or if you just want to play public then by all means do so. Just do me one favour: Do not even ###### dare come on the forums and talk to me about balance, teamplay, competitive player's attitudes and everything else you'll have no grasp of.

If you don't want to clan then fine, but don't pretend to understand the game whilst being blatently ignorant.
    <!--quoteo(post=1605361:date=Feb 10 2007, 03:09 PM:name=MrBen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrBen @ Feb 10 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]1605361[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you don't want to clan then fine, but don't pretend to understand the game whilst being blatently ignorant.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's some great stuff right there. I'm sure Charlie will be printing quotes like this right on the front of the box. Of course, I'm sure he'll take some artistic liberty and add a "######!" to the end for emphasis.
    edited February 2007
    Man he should so do it, I'd buy it if he did.

More than likely i will get a new PC for NS2 specifically to play with old my lessthanthree friends, I had that much fun in my clans.
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you cannot implement any strategy without FPS skills in the field to execute it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the whole point. Reduce or remove this "high skill requirement" in order to do certain strategies, so the question isn't if you CAN do this strategy or not, but if you CHOOSE to do it or not. You don't worry about failure of execution in chess, but what choice you are going to make. And that's strategy, not if you are ABLE to or not, but what choice you make. Again, execution is a matter of picking up a piece and dropping it, not if you have the speeds to aim at a blink/slashing fade or if you have the ability to crouch jump dodge a leaping skulk. That's why anyone can jump into a game a chess, because it doesn't discriminate on if you are ABLE to play a game of chess. And because of that chess is a game that anyone can play, because a loss isn't because of their reaction time, but because of the choices they made.

Mr. Ben, Hassaan, if you acted more mature than people wouldn't be so quick to stereotype clanners as all-righteous, elitist punks. Big fonts and "mob" mentality doesn't make you more convincing.
  • HassaanHassaan Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 33976Members
    edited February 2007
    <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Inappropriate. -Digz<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1605656:date=Feb 11 2007, 08:54 PM:name=SmoodCroozn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmoodCroozn @ Feb 11 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]1605656[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    That's the whole point. Reduce or remove this "high skill requirement" in order to do certain strategies, so the question isn't if you CAN do this strategy or not, but if you CHOOSE to do it or not. You don't worry about failure of execution in chess, but what choice you are going to make....
    ...And because of that chess is a game that anyone can play, because a loss isn't because of their reaction time, but because of the choices they made.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Anyone can play chess <b>alone</b>. There aren't any additional players that move the chessmen as they get orders by the chess "commander", because those players would be bored like hell by just executing orders without having any impact on the game on their own.
    If you remove high skill requirement, you'll heavily decrease the fun of the field marines and the comm can also play with dumb bots that auto aim and execute orders. So lets give all marines auto-aim and mt from start to even the play field and reduce skill dependeny.
    Even the comm part requires skill, so let's introduce resupply and auto scan to make it more easy, lol.

I won't even get into the alien part, which would be completly boring without skill requirement or results in oc spam, because ocs autoaim and can't bunnyhop/blink/leap and use aircontrol.

That's the solution, let's just play turrents vs orfince chambors!!!!1
  • SaZe1SaZe1 Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26057Members, Constellation
  • DoggDogg Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15063Members
    NS is in a pretty good state right now. It requires both twitch skill and strategy. You dumb it down any more, and it's just the comm vs aliens, where player skill has no effect on the outcome. Make guns more accurate or reduce reload times - and it becomes NS-Allstars, where one killer doesn't need his team to win.

I would just make sure that <b>counter-intuitive exploits</b>, such as binding jump/fire to mousewheel are either removed or integrated into the game (which they are in 3.2). Most players do not care enough to go to the forums to learn how to script so that they can compete. Instead of researching and finding out why that marine or fade seems godlike - killing the whole team easily - they'll just quit.

In terms of increasing strategy, this can be done by adding more equipment or upgrades to the game. As long as the new tools aren't useless or overpowering, they will add complexity and give more options. Hand grenades are a perfect example. I support adding skill this way, rather than tweaking out my framerate, because it makes me build faster, or sliding along walls, because it makes me run faster.