NS Linux Server - Desperate Plea For Help!

MaverickkMaverickk Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58857Members
puzl said a new thread would be better on topic so, I'll just make it simple;

I got access to a server to install NS for my own server.

- I installed gzip
- I installed Steam (Server)
- I installed HLDS w/ "Valve" (which I assumed was the basic needed HL1 files)
- I installed NS 3.1.3 with the current patch for it

Did all this using PuTTy.

Now, I've run into some snags.

1) When I start the server, it "starts" but it gives me this error;

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Console initialized.
scandir failed:/home/mav/www/hlds_1/./valve/SAVE
scandir failed:/home/mav/www/hlds_1/./platform/SAVE
Protocol version 47
Exe version 1.1.2.0/Stdio (valve)
Exe build: 20:02:44 Oct 24 2006 (3651)
STEAM Auth Server
couldn't exec language.cfg
Server IP address
scandir failed:/home/mav/www/hlds_1/./valve/SAVE
scandir failed:/home/mav/www/hlds_1/./platform/SAVE

Adding master server 68.142.72.250:27010
Adding master server 207.173.177.11:27010
Connection to Steam servers successful.
   VAC secure mode is activated.
   VAC secure mode is activated.
<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Now by the end of that console message I assume the server some how is started? I've yet to figure out what the scandir's failed means. My directory looks like /home/mav/hlds_1/ then inside hlds_1 is a /ns folder and a /valve folder. It also says it can't load or start language.cfg, I checked, I couldn't find it in any folder or subfolder?

2) Assuming the server starts, I can't seem to find it in the server list in the actual NS client. It's got it's own title and a few small custom settings I set up in server.cfg but it doesn't show up in the Master List. Also assuming the server starts and I can't find it in the list, shouldn't I be able to join via IP? I put in the IP of the server, it just keeps retrying to connect.

3) In PuTTy, it took me forever to figure out I don't need to keep it open for the "Screens" or whatever they call server processes to continue working (server is not my PC). But before I figured that out, I "started" the server about four times and now I have like 4 screens there, 1 working and like 3 others "dettached". How do I remove those and just leave it at the 1 I need?

4) What are the PuTTy or ingame console commands to turn a server off, or restart a server?

Much Much Much appreciation for any help offered.

Comments

• puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited January 2007
    I meant it would be better to add a new reply to an existing topic than to edit an old one to hide the original problem while leaving the replies to the original problem, but it doesn't really matter.

Those scandir errors are fine, you can just ignore them.

If you do 'man screen' on your linux server you will get a fairly comprehensive guide.

but here is a summary

To list all the screens: <b>screen -ls</b>

Example
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->
    hjw@vir:~$ screen -ls
    There are screens on:
            15308.pts-4.vir (Detached)
            15314.pts-4.vir (Detached)
    2 Sockets in /var/run/screen/S-hjw.

To reconnect to a specific screen: <b>screen -r <screenid></b>
    Example
    screen -r 15308.pts-4.vir

To kill a specific screen: <b> screen -S <screenid> -X quit </b>
    Example
    screen -S 15308.pts-4.vir -X quit

When you are in a screen there are many keybinds to control the screen press ctrl-A h to see a list ( that's press ctrl - press a - release ctrl - press h )
  • MaverickkMaverickk Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58857Members
    Ah, ok well that solves the multiple screen issue and the scandir thing.

Other than that, from all I tell via PuTTy the server should be up and running NS 3.1.3 but I still can't see it in the browser, it should be labeled Niteshdw Combat set to co_core max of 12 players atm. Doesn't show up in the list. Is there some wait time (hours/days) before the Steam Master List is updated?
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    what is the server ip and port?
    edited January 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1601446:date=Jan 24 2007, 03:49 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(puzl @ Jan 24 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]1601446[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    what is the server ip and port?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No clue. I can tell you the IP of the server it's on (niteshdw.com) is 207.36.196.121, I assume the port is the default one. Connecting to it ingame just times out/retries over and over.

*edit*

When I do a "stat" command on the screen, this is the info it gives me;

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->hostname:  Niteshdw Combat
    version :  47/1.1.2.0/Stdio 3651 secure
    tcp/ip  :
    map     :  co_kestrel at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
    players :  0 active (16 max)

#       name            userid  uniqueid                frag    time            ping    loss    adr
    0 users

All the info seems right, I set the config/listenserver to co_kestrel, 16 ppl max, server name etc Though I find it odd the tcp/ip field there is blank?
  • WoZeRWoZeR Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55080Members, Constellation
    Its fixed.

remove the +ip
    and added -port 27099
    Fixed it. Thanks goes out to WoZer for helping me in IRC. A port change and command alteration was all that was needed ;p

Working great now, thanks everyone for their help.
    edited January 2007
    *edit* got it. amxmodx installed

now one really strange problem;

Not sure if this was happening before or after I installed AMXX but on some maps (dunno didn't test every map in my rotation) I'll be in the RR or just spawned and a message in yellow text hits the center screen;

<!--coloro:yellow--><span style="color:yellow"><!--/coloro-->Gamma has been reduced to 2.00000<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I have mp_consistency turned off. Real problem for me cause I play with Gamma 3 Brightness 3.