Bhopping

scaryfacescaryface Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9918Members
<div class="IPBDescription">and other forms of movement</div>As a marine, I usually wallwalk and have figured out on my own that you can bhop off of elevated surfaces (e.g. the raised railing on the side of a hallway) but I've often been passed up on flat ground by some bhopping rines.
So, how do you get around as a marine?

Comments

• UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    There are several ways to move faster on flat ground. One is simply strafe jumping continuously - it's fairly easy to do. Another is wigglewalking, when you alternate strafing between left and right quickly while moving forward. Probably the hardest method is crouch-jumping. You start a crouch, then after about one second, do strafe-jump while still crouched. If your jump is silent, then you have succeeded in the first step. When you are about to hit the ground again, if you are light enough, you can follow up with a regular bunnyhop once.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--quoteo(post=1597224:date=Jan 10 2007, 03:45 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Underwhelmed @ Jan 10 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]1597224[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You start a crouch, then after about one second, do strafe-jump while still crouched.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly 0.4 seconds, actually. (Measured at 100 fps and 20 fps.) And it's best to start the movements for a glidejump at some time between the duck and the jump.
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    I can't do it consistently myself so I just wigglewalk when I don't have an elevated surface to bhop on. It's still pretty good assuming your fingers don't get tired.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    The speed difference between wiggle-walking and crouch-jumping isn't that great. I think wiggle-walking is actually a bit faster. If not, it is at least safer.
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    If you're on a bs_0 server, I think using a wiggle-walk script is faster than crouch-bhop. LOf course, a wiggle script does make you unable to shoot/jump for a small while depending on the script, so you have to be careful while using it.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I just nag for happy packs from the comm and get it over with. >_<
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1597798:date=Jan 11 2007, 06:39 PM:name=milosis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milosis @ Jan 11 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]1597798[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

go outside
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He doesn't need to, he runs on a nuclear reactor, not solar panels.
  • SolusSolus Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16015Members, NS1 Playtester
    A single (cbf doing the crouch) bhop started with glidejumping. Wallwalking when it's there, wigglewalking for when it's not the best idea to jump.

Haven't been outrun using these so don't see much use to the crouch bhop.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i guess its a bit ot here but may i ask if anyone still have the bhop article from nslearn?
  • LeonLeon Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58131Members
    <a href="http://nslearn.readyroom.org/?doc=bhop.php" target="_blank">http://nslearn.readyroom.org/?doc=bhop.php</a>