[REQ] Models for use in source engine

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Over in the murky depths of the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=982933906901718144&showtopic=98404" target="_blank">Mapping Forum</a> We are discussing the upcoming NS2 and in preperation are looking to get some mapping practice in.

I was wondering if any of you fantastic people would be interested in recreating some of our favorite NS models (CC, Armoury etc) in a sourcified version so we can put them in our test maps...

Also, a drawback of the system used in source is that detailed brushwork is not really an option, and most of the fantastic geometry needs to be created as models rather than brushes. This puts some of us none modelling mappers at a disadvantage.

If there is anything you guys can come up with to help us making our practice maps, we would be most grateful.

Comments

• Carbon14Carbon14 Join Date: 2002-07-29 Member: 1025Members, Retired Developer
    Just thought I would chime in and say this would be useful! especially props and such, after all not much point building marine structures that will just be made by the dev team in the end I guess!

P.S. I am very handy with 3dsmax, but getting a model actually into Source baffles the hell out of me. There is no way to actually export to the mdl format is there? I have to export to SMD and use a compile script etc? Its this part that I haven't got a clue about, are there any great tuts on how to get a simple prop into Source?
  • DemiguiseDemiguise Marks Servers Reg Join Date: 2004-01-19 Member: 25462Members
    edited November 2006
    When you say create a sourified version of it, do you mean a High poly version (like we are currently trying to do now) or an imported version for the source engine.

I'd also hope the end result of alot of the HPA stuff impresses the Devs enough to put them in ^^
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1574858:date=Nov 8 2006, 05:08 PM:name=Demiguise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Demiguise @ Nov 8 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]1574858[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd also hope the end result of alot of the HPA stuff impresses the Devs enough to put them in ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They won't - basically because then you'd have a legal leg to stand on if you argued for it to be removed from the game at a later date - and also because you'd want to be paid, and I'm under the impresion that Flayra is looking for potential employees, not contractual work.
  • DemiguiseDemiguise Marks Servers Reg Join Date: 2004-01-19 Member: 25462Members
    Well tbh, i wouldnt want it removed from the game (thats me here), nor do i care about payment really. Just a credit would do me.

<a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Modeling" target="_blank">This</a> is about as close as i can find to a guide on how to get Hl Models into HL2, and that would involve decompiling the model, redoing the skeleton and everything.

:/
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    Demi, I think you actually meant to link to <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Porting_Goldsource_content_to_Source" target="_blank">this</a>
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We're not looking for official stuff, it's more to do with the fact we'll be trying to get some NS looking maps up and running, more to get us used to Mapping for source, and would like models we can use to show where the CC would be, to try and inspire ourselves, since we don't have any official models yet.

Also futuristic props that could be scattered liberally around source maps would be fantastic, they give you a license for full artistic freedom.

Basically anything we can use in a map to make it look and feel like NS, even without it being so!!
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    Soul Rider, I've started taking a look at this, and it's not simple. Each model is going to have to be done by hand, and I have yet to get even one working. It seems worth the effort for the mappers, and creating and compiling models for Source seems like something I'd want to know, so I'm going to continue. Just keep in mind that it might be a little while. You seem like you're being patient, so thanks for that.
    edited November 2006
    Okay, I found a pretty cool tool called the HL2 Compile Toolkit, and it seems to fix the texture problem I've been running into. <a href="http://www.snappycrunch.com/temp/skulk.zip" target="_blank">Here</a> is the first model I've converted, the skulk. It opens fine in the Source SDK HLMV. However, I can't run source mods on the laptop I'm currently using. Can someone attempt to place this model in their mod folder and load it into a map? I'd like to see if this really works before continuing.

Thanks.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks for that snappy crunch, will check as soon as i'm back online at home.

Things such as props, representative models and the like would all be fantastic.
  • RSXRSX Join Date: 2004-08-18 Member: 30703Members
    edited November 2006
    The texture problem is because you need to assign the texture map in your 3d package, then reference it in the .vmt to the correct location without any exetenion names.

Most of the content from ns will be unusable in ns2 due to the lack of detail and size of the textures. I wouldn't bother converting stuff from ns to ns2. They would however be ok as place holders, but would let the visual elements of the map down if you were to post wip shots.

I am more than willing too help out, but i have a lack of motivation due to lacking in the concept department. However i will have a go and will see what happens.

What kind of props are you looking for? I could do a few physic models that you can throw around, but i'm unsure if they'll be usable in the final version.

I was thinking along the lines of steam pipes and more architectural structures than physics props.
    I'll have a shot a doing the armory's and phase gates and such.

Any further ideas or concept are would be a big help.
  • Spawn_of_Chaos97Spawn_of_Chaos97 Join Date: 2006-11-21 Member: 58694Members
    snappy: my comp says that zip is corrupt!

Help?
    The .zip works for me, but just for the heck of it, <a href="http://www.snappycrunch.com/temp/skulk.rar" target="_blank">here's</a> a .rar of the same thing.
    Now that's just messed up.

I got:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->!   C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\artshep98118@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\generic\modelsrc\skulk.rar: CRC failed in models\alien1.mdl. The file is corrupt
    !   C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\artshep98118@yahoo.com\sourcesdk_content\generic\modelsrc\skulk.rar: Unexpected end of archive
    <!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

from winRAR.
    edited November 2006
    ... what?! ::sigh:: Okay, here it is in 7-zip format. If this doesn't work, I guess I'll have to email it to you, artshep98118@yahoo.com. Also maybe sign you up for some ###### mailers.

<a href="http://www.snappycrunch.com/temp/skulk.7z" target="_blank">7-zip here</a>

EDIT - apparently there is a swear filter in place that will not let me name a genre of pictures and movies with scantily clad ladies. I don't know why.
    There is something wrong between our two comps...
    I can download those files in Firefox 1.5.0.8 and open all three of those files in WinRAR 3.51 and 7-zip 4.42. Perhaps your copy of WinRAR is messed up.

Nevertheless, I emailed it from my Yahoo mail account to yours. Best of luck.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    see now this is what i am talking about, keep it up people

ok i got maya 7 as of now does any one know if milkshape or any other programs i wll have some form of converter to get ahy thing make in there into source, a link would be great but even a quike exsplination as i am pritty computer savy and have dabbled in this area before

me i am not really a fan of guns and strait human made structures, but ill gladely have a whirl at any thing kharaa esk

what polly counts are we looking at here, are sub dus and nurbs going over board?
    Yeah sub - dees and nubs are overkill. They could be used fo baking detail into the normal maps, but source dosen't render them very well, or in the same context that they are in say doom3.

Most new engines can push alot of polys, its mainly the shadows and pixel shader effects that kill the fps.
    Id aim around 500 - 1000 triangle count, depending on the size and complexity of the prop.
    Well, this thread is for actually converting regular NS models for use in Source; so that mappers have something to place in their maps as a placeholder until they get something else from the dev team to work with.

However, I'm sure that there are number of mappers that would be really happy if you started work on map models. In my world that means crates, pipes, doorways, etc., but if you have the inspiration, any kind of Kharaa-esque thing for mappers to place in Kharra-controlled areas of the map would be really appreciated. Organic things (especially things that don't have a real-world reference) are things that not many people have the inspiration for.
    Any concepts?

Maybe i'll watch a few Sci-Fi films, get some inspiration.
    Thank you Col...I mean Snappy! I got it, it works, looks pretty good. Maybe if you upped the texture resolution from 256X256 to at least 512X512?

Er...if it isn't already.

I can't figure out how to rip a texture from a HL2 model with the HLMV...always used to be able to...eh.
    Hl2 Textures arn't saved within the .mdl file, like Hl1.

There saved in .vtf files.
    edited November 2006
    Good, I'm glad the skulk works. That means I can start converting the rest of the NS models using the same process.

These are just placeholders; I'm not worried about making them look good. Plus, I'm not knowingly changing the texture resolutions at all; I'm pretty sure that the original texture resolution on the skulk is 256x256.

<strike>Since I've done the skulk - I'm going to finish up the alien players and structures. If someone wants to start with the marines, just say so here so we don't end up duplicating work.</strike>

Okay, so conversion went faster than I thought. The alien side is done, and I posted a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99015" target="_blank">thread</a> in the mapping forum asking for more confirmation that people can load this stuff up in actual Source maps. Once I get confirmation of that, I can knock out the marine side in an hour or so.

[EDIT]Aaand - the marine side is done. You guys should go check that thread. Even the screens of the first test are amazing[/EDIT]
  • frostymoosefrostymoose Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20799Members
    edited December 2006
    <!--quoteo(post=1574978:date=Nov 8 2006, 09:44 PM:name=SpaceJesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SpaceJesus @ Nov 8 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]1574978[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I'm under the impresion that Flayra is looking for potential employees, not contractual work.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why do you get that impression? I think that since UWE is a small start-up they'd be much more likely to rely on contract work for much of the artwork. Maybe 30-40%
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    Well, based on what I've seen in the past (and the fact that if I remember correctly, Corey Strader did like 90% of the original ns artwork) I'd guess that UWE are looking for a few very good people to do a lot of work, rather than the typical "mod-team" approach of having a crapload of semi-decent people doing a little bit each. Its easier to keep a consistant visual style if all the work is done by only a few artists.