Psychonauts: Oh God it just changed to Night Time.

Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
<div class="IPBDescription">It's night and I think I just screwed myself.</div>Hey guys. I've been playing this game (<a href="http://www.psychonauts.com/" target="_blank">Psychonauts</a>) and loving it but apparently if you advance the plot past a certain point, it changes to night and all the daytime stuff is gone... forever. Say it ain't so. There was so much that I wanted to do and now I can't. Is there any way to still get some of that stuff, like the Scavenger Hunt and the Challenge Markers? I have no saves from Daylight hours because my Alpha, Beta and Gamma saves are all in the mind/level when it changes to night. I always try to play these sorts of games by talking to everyone and collecting everything because I worry that they'd pull a Thief 2 on me and cut you off of certain places after some time without the option of going back to get anything you'd missed. If the Scavenger Hunt items still exist but have changed places that still works. The crazy stuff that comes out at night might be tough, but I can handle it.

What's even scarier is the fact that I'm just like level 45 or whatever and this time change means like 60% of the game is over. At this rate I won't make it to level 95 or whatever you need to get Regeneration which my brother says I'll need to fight to boss without getting my *** handed to me.

Comments

• PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    Well, I haven't played this game before but...

This is why I use FAQs/Walkthroughs for almost every game. There is always something you can miss, or whatever.

<a href="http://www.gamefaqs.com" target="_blank">Gamefaqs FTW</a>.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    edited December 2006
    Thanks Petco, my head was clouded by this and I forgot about getting a walkthrough. It should probably have been the first thing I did. Hopefully they'll have a way out of this.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I downloaded the demo but I haven't played because it refuses to let me NOT use my joystick. Thanks, I'd like to play with a mouse and keyboard, Mr. Psychonauts Demo.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1585174:date=Dec 7 2006, 01:32 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Dec 7 2006, 01:32 AM) [snapback]1585174[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I downloaded the demo but I haven't played because it refuses to let me NOT use my joystick. Thanks, I'd like to play with a mouse and keyboard, Mr. Psychonauts Demo.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Woah, you're serious? I didn't even know you <i>could</i> play with a joystick. That's just so crazy for a platformer.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Can't you unplug the joystick?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1585192:date=Dec 6 2006, 10:40 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Dec 6 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]1585192[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Can't you unplug the joystick?

Because I want to turn off my computer so I can get to the back of it and unplug a joystick every time I want to play a game just so I can turn it off and plug the joystick back in when I want to play another game.
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1585304:date=Dec 7 2006, 12:00 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Dec 7 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]1585304[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Because I want to turn off my computer so I can get to the back of it and unplug a joystick every time I want to play a game just so I can turn it off and plug the joystick back in when I want to play another game.
    Time to rethink your computer setup imo. o.o Get a hub & USB joystick!

Psychonauts is great; I stalled out just outside the insane asylum, sadly, and haven't returned to it since.

Regarding walkthroughs: Walkthroughs are for your second playthrough, imo. First time through, take it as it comes. (: If the game's good enough that you're sad you missed stuff, it's good enough for a second playthrough.
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    afaik it being night doesn't change a thing about locations of stuff... it's just.. night :X

And yeah, Psychonauts is an ace game, which will hopefully get a sequel.
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1585306:date=Dec 7 2006, 09:05 AM:name=coil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coil @ Dec 7 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]1585306[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Regarding walkthroughs: Walkthroughs are for your second playthrough, imo. First time through, take it as it comes. (: If the game's good enough that you're sad you missed stuff, it's good enough for a second playthrough.

It depends who you are mostly. For me, I don't like replaying any games over again(<i>mostly RPGs, and mostly the only types of games I use walkthroughs for</i>), that's mainly because I want to get back to other games(HL mods, Starcraft, WC3, FFXI). Another reason why I don't like replaying is because I'm a story RPG person, I enjoy story more than gameplay most of the time, so playing second time and knowing what is going to happen already isn't as fun or fresh as playing it the first time.

If you're going to play a game just once through, and know it, you should use a walkthrough IMO. If not, then use one whenever you want to(second replay, third, etc).

The only RPG I want to replay right now is Xenosaga III, mainly so I can keep a save just before all the bosses so I can fight them again whenever I want.
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1585161:date=Dec 7 2006, 12:05 AM:name=Cold_NiTe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cold_NiTe @ Dec 7 2006, 12:05 AM) [snapback]1585161[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    [...]

What's even scarier is the fact that I'm just like level 45 or whatever and this time change means like 60% of the game is over. At this rate I won't make it to level 95 or whatever you need to get Regeneration which my brother says I'll need to fight to boss without getting my *** handed to me.

This first quote will be mostly spoiler-free. The same does NOT go for my own words after it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Q – I passed the point of no return and I still need to find psi cards /
    cobwebs / etc! What do I do!?

A – Don’t worry, the game makes a save for you automatically when you hit the
    point of no return. Its clearly marked at the bottom of the save file. Load
    that and you can go back to all previous areas of the game (use bacon to get
    back to Cruller then go through the log to get back quickly).

Q – Can I ever change it back to daylight once its night?

A – Nope, sorry, once its daytime it stays that way for good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with your brother that regeneration helps with the endgame areas with the end boss, but it's the unlock at level 90, not 95. 95 is unlimited ammo; it sounds helpful, but it's not as memorably useful as regeneration [read: I don't remember whether or not I even got it].

The ONLY bonus for reaching level 100 is an additional endgame cutscene. Not even an alternate ending, just an extra cutscene. I can *almost* understand people in MMO's trying to max out their characters to show off to other people or sell when they quit the game...but there's no use in trying to level up to 100 in Psychonauts just for a cutscene that can be found in a My Computer window and played with the free .bik file viewer. Just try to level to 90 or 95 instead.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    I think using gamefaqs reduced the enjoyment I got from Grim Fandango, btw if you havent PLAYED grim fandango BUY IT NOW ITS CHEAP AND IT ROX YOUR MUM
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    Eh, I beat the final boss just fine without regen on my first run.. Regen just makes it kinda easypants :X