Zen of Sudoku test build (for slow bug)

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
edited November 2006 in Zen of Sudoku
<div class="IPBDescription">Try this if you're having problems</div>Hey guys,

I'm trying to fix the very slow behavior of the game experienced by some players in v0.76. I <b>think</b> I've fixed this, but seeing how I haven't been able to reproduce the bug on my machine I do need your help.

You can download the test build from <a href="http://www.zenofsudoku.com/downloads/ZenTestBuild.zip" target="_blank">here</a> (11 megabytes). Unzip the file somewhere (your Desktop works fine, try <a href="http://www.winzip.com/downwzeval.htm" target="_blank">Winzip</a> if needed) and it will create a folder called "Zen of Sudoku Test Build". Make sure that your zip program unzips the directories within it as well (usually an option). Then just navigate to that directory and double-click ZenOfSudoku.exe to start it. If you see the Unknown Worlds splash screen, you're launching the correct version. You should also see the words "Test Build" in the lower right corner of the main menu.

When the game starts up, it will immediately start generating puzzles in the background (as I deliberately did not include any pre-generated puzzles with this build). The game should still be useable though, so it needs to not feel sluggish or frozen. Ideally you'll have no idea if the game is generating puzzles or not, but a very slight slowdown is OK by me if need be. So just load the game up and see if the game seems responsive at the main menu and let me know one way or another. <b>This test build will NOT let you play, so the mouse will be unresponsive when trying to choose numbers</b>.

I had to disable some of the other new features that you'll see in the next (and final?) version. I'm still polishing things up but the last big problem is this slow bug, so the sooner you can verify that this bug is fixed, the better! If not, I'll make some more changes and send you another build and we'll find it soon enough I'm sure. Please post your experience here in this thread.

Thanks for your patience and support, I do appreciate it! Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Charlie

Comments

• MerkabaMerkaba Digital Harmony Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 22Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    edited November 2006
    No problems whatsoever for me, everything reacted as smoothly and instantly as I would expect.

System (if needed):

2 x PIII 1Ghz processors
    1Gb RAM
    Windows XP Pro
    Geforce 5200
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks Merks, looks like it's fixed. I got the feedback I needed here so I removed the download.