Creating Animated Sprites?

FlyingcowFlyingcow Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41451Members
Hey, after looking at a few of the sprites in the game folder, i decided to try and do some 2d animation.

what programs did the developers use to make the sprites for lerk spores, bilebomb, and spit, and the other animated ones.? also are there any tutorials to get me started?

any help would be appreciated. i have some experience with photoshop, imageready(basic animation. nothing as fancy as animated smoke.) and flash, but thats it.

Comments

• CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    Bilebomb's not a sprite, it's a model.
  • Owen1Owen1 Join Date: 2003-04-13 Member: 15457Members
    erm... the best thing to do is use filext to look for a program called "sprite editor" and "sprite viewer". from there it's pretty much like making an animated GIF file, adding more than one image to produce an animated one.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crispy+Aug 1 2005, 11:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crispy @ Aug 1 2005, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Bilebomb's not a sprite, it's a model. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    the explosion for it is.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    technically the explosion is a particle effect.
  • MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-BAshh+Aug 1 2005, 09:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BAshh @ Aug 1 2005, 09:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> technically the explosion is a particle effect. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...that uses an animated sprite. Don't be a jerk.
  • Mr_HeadcrabMr_Headcrab Squee&#33;~ Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9392Members, Constellation
    if you can find it, spritewizard is a simple program that can be used to compile and decompile sprites, all and all they're simmilar to gifs, first you do each frame as a bmp, than using spritewizard, you can compile your bmp frames into a sprite. If i can find a copy, i'll post a link
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    If you cannot find it, i can temporarily host it on my webspace for download.

Just remember all the frames of the sprite need the same palette otherwise it will not compile.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin-Maus+Aug 1 2005, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Aug 1 2005, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-BAshh+Aug 1 2005, 09:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BAshh @ Aug 1 2005, 09:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> technically the explosion is a particle effect. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...that uses an animated sprite. Don't be a jerk. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wasn't trying to be, and I wasn't sure if the bilebomb explosion sprite was animated, I only knew it was a particle effect.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2005
    <a href='http://www.slackiller.com/hlprograms/sprview.zip' target='_blank'>Sprite Viewer</a>

<a href='http://www.slackiller.com/hlprograms/sprwiz.zip' target='_blank'>Sprite Wizard</a>

Those are pretty much what you need outside of photoshop or whatever.
  • FlyingcowFlyingcow Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41451Members
    i have both ofthose programs. thanks but

what programs do i use to actually Draw the animations in the sprite?? photoshop??

did you guys draw each individual frame? I can see how you drew bilebomb, but what about the spores and umbra
    Photoshop, or Paintshop Pro. Yes, draw each frame, or just alter one a little bit at a time to get to something else.