Nvidia Vs Ati For Normal Map Tools

Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(which one is best)</div> I know that both NVIDIA and ATI have special tools to create Normal Maps but I don't know them and don't know what's their procedure.

Can someone briefly describe their procedure and tell the limitations/bugs of each ?

Which one is best in terms of speed ?
Which one is best in terms of quality/precision ?

Comments

• MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    Well, any tool that'll make you a normal map from an existing texture or bump map isn't really worth it. Much better to create your normals with 3D software, as the other way is visibly fake.
  • RSXRSX Join Date: 2004-08-18 Member: 30703Members
    Niether, doom 3 renderbump is the best if you have access to it, picks up the finer details in the mesh.

I have used both of the other programs and the Nvidia one only will generate normal maps from 2D aka photoshop i think.

Ati tool is a dos based utility, which works ok, but as i say doom3 rb is the best i have used for game models.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Well, if you want, Polybump is pretty cool. It's also expensive/unavailable (one of those) unless you're modding Far Cry.

Most 3d packages have plugins that work quite well though. That's the best route really.