Won-id Question

PJJPJJ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9579Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How the numbering works</div> Hey. I was wondering. How does the Won-ID number system work? Are the lower number users that have been around longer? Does each CD-Key have its own Won-ID assigned to it? What?

I'm wondering since I bought HL the first day, and my Won-ID is in the 8 digit range, where as some newer people have 6 digit Won-ID's.

Comments

• LiquidFusionLiquidFusion Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3139Members
    I know for a fact that it isn't based on how old you've had it. I bought halflife the day it came out (wow i've been playing this game for over 4 years) And i have like a 6 digit key. my friend who has only played it for about 2 years has a lower number than me.
  • TweedleTweedle Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7581Members
    Each CD Key gets a WON the first time it is used. WONs are assigned sequentially. ie: First person to play HL online got the won 1, second person got won 2, etc. If you got two new CD Keys and brought them both online within seconds of each other, the second WON ID would be the first WON ID + 1. (So many numbers, sorry. I hope that makes sense.)

Pre- CS 1.0, WON did infact indicate how long you'd have been playing. Once Valve bought CS, they revamped the whole WON system or did something to it as a part of the "new retail game" thing. They had to reset their entire database. Again, WONs were assigned, starting with 1, in the order than the CD keys were played with online. So if your WON id is four or five digits, you've played Half-Life/mods online atleast since the time that CS 1.0 was released. Two people from my old CS clan have three digit wons, even though there were several hundred thousand people who played HL online before them.

Make sense?
  • PJJPJJ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9579Members
  • SkWyReLSkWyReL Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9360Members
    Hey,

Does WON ID correspond to IP?
    I dont think so, but just wondering.

.:SkWyReL:.
  • voogruvoogru Naturally Modified (ex. NS programmer) Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1827Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--SkWyReL+Nov 22 2002, 08:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SkWyReL @ Nov 22 2002, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey,

Does WON ID correspond to IP?
    I dont think so, but just wondering.

.:SkWyReL:.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ... no
  • PJJPJJ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9579Members
    Wonid is sometimes called Unique ID, you can get it via /status in the console. It is what prevents (in theory) game piracy. It also allows a person to be banned reguardless of IP or Name.

But that explains why my number is so high. I played HL when it first came out, but after CS came out (in beta DL form) I haven't played it before now.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    if someone uses a cdkey generator does that mean that they get the wonid that goes with it?

for example if someone used flay's CDkey would they get the little NS dev team icon next to their name on the ingame scoreboard?
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mouse+Nov 23 2002, 01:52 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mouse @ Nov 23 2002, 01:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->if someone uses a cdkey generator does that mean that they get the wonid that goes with it?

for example if someone used flay's CDkey would they get the little NS dev team icon next to their name on the ingame scoreboard?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In theory. However, someone as reputable as flay could simply have that key de-activated, and re-code into the game for that new key.

PLus, keys are 13 digits long. Try randomly selecting Flay's key. I'll give you a crapload of money if you do, for no other reason than being incredibly lucky.
  • Dan_ForeverDan_Forever Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1054Members
    ah I was wondering about that, because for a long while I had the cd key "46" and whenever I told someone that they said, "no, not player id, WonID!", I had to explain that 46 was indeed my wonid and not my playerid. :o
  • Rev_HellfireRev_Hellfire Join Date: 2002-11-23 Member: 9682Members
    I would assume that a wonid is a digest of your cdkey.
  • LiquidFusionLiquidFusion Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3139Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Rev Hellfire+Nov 23 2002, 06:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Rev Hellfire @ Nov 23 2002, 06:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I would assume that a wonid is a digest of your cdkey.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    thats possible, but not likely, because many hl-key gens don't spit out a key that will work online.