Texture To Block Entity

xsimonaterxsimonater Join Date: 2004-04-18 Member: 27996Members
i use to mape for NS a long time ago. one of the maps i made had a lot of action within a very small area. this caused major problems because all the entitys were visable to every player.

one of my friends who was a much beter mapper then me said that there was an texture that i could use that would be able to block entitys brom passing thro it. that would put a lot less stress on the server. however ive lost contact with this person. dose anyone know what testure this is or if there is any trouth to it?

Comments

• Lt_GravityLt_Gravity Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15909Members
    what EXACTLY is your goal on the area?
  • xsimonaterxsimonater Join Date: 2004-04-18 Member: 27996Members
    edited July 2005
    basicly the mariens are on top and the alians are below. its a NS map. and if both teams make a full base with defences all the entitys are visable to every player each second. i got told there was a texture that i could use that would be able to stop entitys passing thro it. so i could use that to seperate mariens and alians bases. this would fix my problem of causing the server to much stress that it results in a crash.

ive included a basic layout of the map

to start with the defence field stops anyone attacking. after 5 min it opens. allowing mariens to drop down and weld the weldpoint. when and if they finish welding the teleporter door will open 2 min later. that till enable them to teleport down to the grenade room and shoot the hive. however the alians cant get into the grenade room because there is a laser (+ trigger hurt) stoping them from leaping or blinking into it. however they can go to marien base and get in. the problem is due to the small map again as i said there is a lot of action in a very small area. lag can sometimes be high and strain on the server as well. causing it to crash in any team spamms buildings a lot.
  • WolvWolv Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 56Members
    What you're looking for is a VIS blocker between high activity areas. Place world (=non entity) brushes between high activity areas that prevent a straight line of sight between the two. Easiest example in case of a hallway is a donut shaped hallway:
    <!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->                 ___________
                   /                   \
                  /      ____        \
                /       /       \         \
        ------       /          \         -----------
                      |           |
                      |           |                        
        ------       \          /        ------------
                \       \____/        /              
                 \                      /
                  \___________/<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->
    Then make sure to run a full vis (there may be no leaks in your map), load your map and use gl_awcrapwhatsitscalled (function to see effects of vis on map, someone else will fill this in I'm sure) to see if it worked.

If you really want to use a texcture that completely block VIS and have it cover the entire forcefield, I believe you can use any texture that begins with TRANS and apply it to a world brush covering the forcefield. It would be completely opaque though (which is a good thing, since you'd otherwise get a HOM effect).
  • BelgarionBelgarion Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 973Members
    I think by "gl_ahcrapwhatsitcalled", Wolv meant "gl_wireframe 2"
  • brute_forcebrute_force Join Date: 2003-10-04 Member: 21433Members, Constellation
    Note that visual lag (such as that which you are describing) won't crash the server if it's dedicated (at least not as far as I know -- someone correct me if I'm wrong). Most likely the crash issues are related to something else in your map.
  • KobayashiKobayashi Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17956Members
    edited July 2005
    I thought you could kinda overload a server if turrets had too much sight? especially if aliens came in and they had to track aliens?

EDIT:: same with ocs.
  • xsimonaterxsimonater Join Date: 2004-04-18 Member: 27996Members
    thanks guys ive used a trans texture and it seems to realy fix the problem. 4 cycles with extensive spamming and no crash yet. so looks like it worked (normaly crasted every game)