I Do Beleive This Is Good News...

Chubi_ChanChubi_Chan Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30924Members
<div class="IPBDescription">for compilers/modelers.</div> well,I check the terragen yahoo group,and what do I find,<a href='http://bchynds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=9' target='_blank'>this</a>

for those who are too lazy to click,a guy says his rig has seen plenty of idle time,and he thought he'd "donate" it to people who do 3d work,and need a nice rig to render/compile with.You can discuss the terms with the man himself via e-mail,which is located in the above link. (along with more info)

personally,this is EXCELLENT news for REALLY high poly modelers and 3d renderers.I've been thinking about rendering out a terragen movie,but I've thought the strain would be too much for my tiny 1.5ghz processer...

reguardlessly,this might help modelers with weak machines,or just anyone who needs a powerful rig for something like 3d work.

Comments

• MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    Yeah, because the people in this forum really need to farm out renders to outside computers.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    a modeller cant really use this resource. a renderfarm is just doing what its name says.
  • Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
    Yea this is just to render graphics that would take hours on people's PCs that aren't powerfull enough.

Maybe if he installs the HL1/HL2 compiler then he could lend his PC for folks that have maps talking hours to compile ? But then again, if it takes hours, it may been a bit of tweaking.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    you forgot that you have to tell that dood how to use map compiling tools for games, because you dont really have influence what happens on his machine. i dont think hes running a remote desktop software. a terragen project is easy to render on another computer, you just need the terrain data, and the camera script, and you are done.
    3ds, maya and other applications have network render server software, but this is expensive, and i dont think this guy got all possible solutions for every 3d package.
    hes limited to terragen and this funny other 3d modelling kit he got..i think he mentioned blender somewhere.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    lol rendering with blender lol

ANYWAYS, Horrible idea anyway, to let anyone do any work for you. Just get Cinema 4d if you want renders, they're decent. As well, compilation should be learned and done by the modeller, since they know what they want. Just a thought.
  • Dr_XDr_X Join Date: 2004-04-05 Member: 27732Members
    You should post this on the Polycount forums as well.
  • MausMaus Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5599Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-BAshh+Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BAshh @ Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> lol rendering with blender lol <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href='http://www.artificial3d.com/images/oldmanwillow.jpg' target='_blank'>Something wrong with Blender?</a>

In the hands of a <a href='http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230251' target='_blank'>skilled user</a> it's great.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Maus+Jul 15 2005, 05:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jul 15 2005, 05:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-BAshh+Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BAshh @ Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> lol rendering with blender lol <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href='http://www.artificial3d.com/images/oldmanwillow.jpg' target='_blank'>Something wrong with Blender?</a>

In the hands of a <a href='http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230251' target='_blank'>skilled user</a> it's great. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The second one was done with Photo-Paint too; that's probably how he got everything but the mesh. The first one was probably done partially with other stuff too.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin-Maus+Jul 15 2005, 08:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Maus @ Jul 15 2005, 08:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-BAshh+Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (BAshh @ Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> lol rendering with blender lol <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the hands of a <a href='http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230251' target='_blank'>skilled user</a> it's great. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not at all, I used it myself, and it's great if you know what you're doing with it. But did you see they guy's banner? looked like it was rendered in blender, too, and not very well. Problem is that most people <i>don't</i> know what they're doing with it, that's why I laughed.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    A while ago MonseurEvil ran a map compiling server named SHODAN. It got a fair bit of use IIRC.

--Scythe--
  • DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin-Scythe+Jul 16 2005, 12:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Scythe @ Jul 16 2005, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A while ago MonseurEvil ran a map compiling server named SHODAN. It got a fair bit of use IIRC.

--Scythe-- <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    there was an open-source map compile GROUP... the problem is that if you wanted to use their compile-farm (of like friggin 20-25 machines) you have to agree to share your map with the world... it got a lot of use, but it was just too 'risky' to have any of the maps used for real.

a map-compile grouping of the same kind would be nice, if they didn't require it to be open source...