Hiv Defeated?

2»

Comments

• TrevelyanTrevelyan Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14834Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Aegeri+Jul 8 2005, 10:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Aegeri @ Jul 8 2005, 10:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Firstly, we've seen such 'wonder' treatments before (fused headed antibodies to HIV for example) that have in the long run rather fallen flat. The first problem with the drug is that it doesn't do anything that is particularly new (binding CCR5 has been an idea for a while). Secondly, it would have to be given prophylactically becaue HIV doesn't spend all its time binding CCR5, it changes eventually to attack CXCR4. The problem inherent with simply blocking CCR5 is that macrophages and dendritic cells act as a 'trojan horse', picking up HIV particles and moving them intracellularly as they would anything else they think is interesting. Unfortunately in the case of HIV this is <i>exactly</i> what the virus wants and it gets a free ride to the cells it is really interested in, T-cells, which as I alluded to, express CXCR4 and not CCR5.

I also question their clinical trial. How long was this trial? Did they monitor T-lymphocyte counts and did they extract and analyse peripheral blood macrophages/langerhans cells to see if they had picked up HIV particles (rendering this treatment rather irrelevant, because HIV can transfer directly cell->cell). Did they investigate if this can actually effectively gain entry into lymph nodes (where T-cells hang out).

For that matter, I also wonder if they have investigated this in an animal model for its toxicological and pharmacological effects? Looking through the literature currently, I've not been able to find anything about trials they have conducted or the methodology they used to investigate if it is even working.

Going to the media and not bothering to go through normal publication routes makes me think something suspicious is up. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <b>WITCH!!!!!</b>

*throws stones*

I personally like to think more positively. Possibly one less thing killing us in the near future.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Aegeri+Jul 8 2005, 08:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Aegeri @ Jul 8 2005, 08:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Scientists seem to have an awfully bad track record for miracle HIV cures :/ <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Um... if they had a good track record wouldn't they have, you know, stopped? I mean... they wouldn't keep looking for a cure if they cured it.

Not that I'm saying this new drug will be that mircale solution, but its still a nice thought.
  • Mr_JeburtOMr_JeburtO Join Date: 2003-08-29 Member: 20340Members
    Just remember it may stop YOU getting AIDS, but your still a carrier and can infect those who arn't taking the drug
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Swiftspear+Jul 8 2005, 09:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Swiftspear @ Jul 8 2005, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-kill4thrills+Jul 8 2005, 08:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (kill4thrills @ Jul 8 2005, 08:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> there are other stds to worry about besides AIDs. i don't think it's safe to go around having unprotected sex with all your friends just yet. AIDs might be sure to kill you, but the other STDs <span style='color:red'><b>burn</b></span> your privates <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    tpyo, cue pictures! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ROFL
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Hmmm... if it just stops the virus from getting INTO the cells, so it doesn't "cure" you it just stops infection, doesn't that mean that people already with AIDS are screwed?

So they've spent all that time working on something that's about as effective as wearing a condom? gg.
  • PithlitPithlit Join Date: 2003-05-07 Member: 16120Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-X Stickman+Jul 9 2005, 03:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (X Stickman @ Jul 9 2005, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hmmm... if it just stops the virus from getting INTO the cells, so it doesn't "cure" you it just stops infection, doesn't that mean that people already with AIDS are screwed?

So they've spent all that time working on something that's about as effective as wearing a condom? gg. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, Aids, like any other virus can only reproduce by invading your bodys cells.
    So by hindering it to enter them you basically hunger it out and your T Cells can recover, thus you wont be as vulnerable to secondary infections as before.

Mention: Not Hiv kills you, its the secondary infections, like a cold or something to wich the weakened body has no defenses anymore!