You Lose, Macolytes!

Rapier7Rapier7 Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26108Members
edited June 2005 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Forgot about this forum.</div> Ahahahahha. Well, I forgot about posting a thread in this forum. But better late than never!

So by now, you've heard it. Apple's switching to x86. Yeah, so long PPC. So long, IBM. Why did they switch? Easy. x86 is cheaper, faster, better. Sure, PPC scales really well, but who cares? Who's going to spend millions on a super computer?

Right, so where are your claims of a faster CPU? Oh wait, it's debunked here:

<a href='http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436' target='_blank'>http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436</a>

Right, so it's mediocre at best, while you pay a couple hundred premium on it. Great CPU, really. Yeah, sure, all you have is Final Cut Pro and a few other MAC EXCLUSIVE, OPTIMIZED pieces of software for your use.

I doubt Apple is going to make it in the x86 world. Of course, they'll still have their small little mob of idiots who they can always count on buying their overpriced, underpowered hardware because it's in a neat little box and has a damn Apple logo on it.

GG, suckers.

Comments

• CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited June 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Secondly, there are fewer games available on this platform than on the x86 PC<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read that, decided the artical wasn't worth reading as it's obviously biased. Written by some fanboy gamer who's main use for a PC is that of gaming.

Really, educate yourselves people, stop reading biased information. If you go out looking to prove a point instead of observe without bias, no matter what you do, it's going to turn out biased like this.

Grow up.

:edit:

Then it goes onto talk about server applications. Try running PPC Linus on a Mac and using it as a srever instead of OSX server. Might change the results.
  • Rapier7Rapier7 Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26108Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Apple’s PowerMac is an alternative to the x86 PC, but we didn’t bother testing it as a gaming machine. Firstly, you have to pay a big premium to get a fast video card – as a standard, you get the ATI Radeon 9650 - even on the high-end PowerMacs. Secondly, there are fewer games available on this platform than on the x86 PC. Thirdly, hardcore gamers are not the ones buying Apples, but rather, creative professionals.

So, we focus on workstation and server applications, especially the open source ones ( MySQL, Apache) as Apple is touting heavily on how important their move to an “open source foundation” is.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plus, you'll see that all the tests are fair, and if you understand the technical information, you'll find that it is a very good read.

I'm sorry, but you're moronic for not reading the article and just thinking that it's biased from the getgo.

And, by the way, he isn't biased. More cynical, than anything else. And he does highlight a few saving graces for Apple in his conclusion.

All the tests were done fairly....but considering Apple's own deceptive marketing, who the **** are you to tell me, and Anandtech (one of the best, if not THE best hardware websites on the net) that we're biased?
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah, sure, all you have is Final Cut Pro and a few other MAC EXCLUSIVE, OPTIMIZED pieces of software for your use.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And how is this different from the x86 optimized software we all are most likley using?

If the tests were done all runnung SUSE, all on the same kernel, running Apache, I may trust them better. As I understand it, this is an artical going against Mac hardware, so by using different software, you make the test results even more biased.

Plus, I use them for Final Cut, from my experiances, x86 video editing is slower, even on faster hardware.

For example, My PC running Adobe Premiere (Athlon 1.67 ghz and a gig of RAM) it outpreformed by an eMac G4 1.0Ghz with 512 Megs of RAM running Final Cut.

Adobe doesn't even make Premiere for Mac anymore, can't get more x86 optimized for video editing than that.
  • Rapier7Rapier7 Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26108Members
    Hmm, looking further into the article, it seems that there have been many disputes about the GCC compiler for the Mac. I'll need to do more research on that to confirm.
  • CyndaneCyndane Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Members
    Caboosey is right.

Running linux(even if I hate the penguin, he is right) on a mac then on a PC chip the mac is quite a bit faster.

In additon, final cut vs premiere is an excellent comparison. Try rendering to videos of the same film on the different computers.

Mac will outperform said PC at least by 20% if not more. (Depending upon PC configuration.)

I know my old G4(1gig ram) processor on an iMac is outperforming my PIV Intel HT(3.2ghz 2 gig ram) on final cut vs premiere, which is why I use a Mac for video/graphical/sound editing.