Defensive Emplacements

2»

Comments

• SlashmanSlashman Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1815Members
    Well, a 1:1 Def:Off chamber ratio is bad if you ask me. I usually build two O chambers, then a D chamber, then another O chamber, then another D chamber, then one more O and another D before littering two more O for an excessive Wall of Lame, bringing a grand total of 6 O and 3 D. Those usually hold up pretty well, but aren't unstoppable. The most I ever build is 3 D chambers at a time and I try to keep twice the O on hand, but I find that that measly amount of healing provided from them goes a long way with not having to worry about repairing them all that much. Not only do the regen towers help the turrets, but any fellow aliens who fall back to the base to defend as well. I am sure they would like 30 health every second or so.
  • Paladyne-TPFPaladyne-TPF Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7762Members
    edited November 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As I've pointed out D chambers don't do everything they're said to do, and what they do can be simulated or compensated for by other chambers.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not at all true. DCs do everything they're advertised to do, and more. Their roles can replace the other 2 chambers, but cannot themselves be replaced. The same is true, to a somewhat lesser extent, of the upgrade abilities given:
    <ul>
    <li>Movement chamber role: DCs allow your team's structures to survive longer (a testable, provable fact), thus giving you more time to get to that hive under attack. An unaided OC takes about 2 clips of LMG fire to take down; an OC backed up by DCs takes about 4, and that <i>must</i> be back to back or the damage will be quickly undone, while the same is not true of unaided OCs. Movement does not make up for healing capable independently of the player.
    <li>Movement chamber upgrades: The main upgrade is usually adrenaline; while you cannot attack any faster with defensive abilities, you can approximate them by staying alive longer periods of time and doing greater damage, albeit during an extended period of time. Silence and celerity are of great interest in extending the amount you can do before succumbing to fire by reducing the amount of warning the marines get; defensive upgrades do the same thing via longevity rather than raw speed.
    <li>Sensory chamber role: All too easy. Sensory chambers give you a very vague, "The enemy approaches" which is nonspecific and usually blocked out by players due to its uselessness. DCs extend the life of your OCs enough to where every player has a more than adequate chance to see exactly <i>where</i> the area under attack is, which is not guaranteed if a coordinated marine team decides to focus fire on a single chamber.
    <li>Sensory chamber upgrades: While cloaking allows you to hide undetected (sometimes), defensive abilities improve your hit-and-fade abilities. The enemy may know you're around the corner, but if they can't do enough to actually <i>kill</i> you it hardly matters, does it?

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My outposts won't take as much damage if I can cross the map to defend them in seconds. The marines can't go anywhere if I have sensory coverage of the entire map. They can't shoot what they can't see. The list goes on.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but your outposts won't heal without a gorge wasting valuable time to heal anything that's been damaged, which is not a good investment. Attrition remains a factor, which is not true with DCs in play. The marines will expand regardless if you cannot blockade them effectively, and "The enemy approaches" tells you absolutely nothing unless you have all your chambers in one location. And, in fact, the marines <i>can</i> shoot what they don't see, and the better ones <i>will.</i> I know anytime I enter a room in which I know or suspect a cloaked alien waits, I'll spray the room and watch for hits; cloaking only works until one of my bullets <b>hit,</b> at which point you'll probably be wishing you had regen or carapace instead.

Don't get me wrong, cloaking is a <i>very</i> nice ability, one I happen to enjoy greatly. But it's not worth sacrificing defensive or movement chambers over, <b>especially</b> in a pub where coordination is lessened.