Co_oblivion

SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members Posts: 195
My "real" first Natural Selection map !
Hello all !
I am a young french mapper and my english is crappy nerd-fix.gif. I really like NS mod and I've made a NScombat map, but it not released for the moment. My map is really dark, and the aliens should like it wink-fix.gif
This is some screenies of my map.

screen 1
screen 2
screen 3
screen 4
screen 5
screen 6
screen 7
screen 8
screen 9

If you see any bugs in the screens, send it to me (crappy english sad-fix.gif)
Punching Gorges in the face since 2002. --Gorge Clooney in game

Comments

• KardoffelKardoffel Join Date: 2004-04-03 Member: 27711Members, Constellation Posts: 157
    If we see any bugs i the screens, i dont see anything at all. Plz fix you lightning its way to dark.
    user posted image
    user posted image mauriceee
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2005
    QUOTE (Kardoffel @ Jun 5 2005, 07:57 AM)
    If we see any bugs i the screens, i dont see anything at all. Plz fix you lightning its way to dark.

Ok, I'll do this, but a thing is strange, when I play the map, the light is more bright, but on the screens, the light is too dark.
    So, I have to fix the light biggrin-fix.gif

I've fixed the light and the map is compiling. Some screens soon smile-fix.gif
    edited June 2005
  • NaigelNaigel Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18376Members, Constellation Posts: 651
    I can see things... but it's still dark.
    IPB Image

- IPB Image Constellation member - naigel.nl - naturalselection.com - egir.dk -
  • GruuuntGruuunt Join Date: 2003-11-07 Member: 22353Members Posts: 32
    I agree - it looks good what I can see, but way too dark at the moment... maybe just the gamma?
    It's Done when its done - Its ready when I'm paid (Mad Mart Aka Gruuunt)

Number-7.com Natural Selection Map Archive
    Combat - Classic - AvA - MvM - Fun - Siege

Probably the largest dedicated site in the World Now with over 999 Files available for download
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer Posts: 1,122 Fully active user
    Lol, Nice blank pictures their wink-fix.gif
  • Lt_GravityLt_Gravity Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15909Members Posts: 1,594
    Im pretty shure I do need new NVG´s... wait, is it a splinter cell map? wink-fix.gif

you should work on the lighting. if you experince the screenshots to be darker than themap actually is, try to fix it via photoshop or something like that.

IPB Image
    Give custom maps a chance!
    I'm working at the lightning smile-fix.gif
    But if I increase the brightness, the map lose her dark ambience (my brother like it) tounge.gif

I'll fix the lightning in the Marine start and in the corridor.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter Posts: 407
    This should help you adjust the lighting levels aka. "gamma correct" the brightness of your map's screen shots: ns mapping FAQ

And I agree, your map is way too dark. I also like the atmosphere the darkness gives, but you have to think the players as well. It's not fun if you can't see anything in multiplayer games. tounge.gif

To fix this, you could add some additional light sources in floor level to light the floor and maybe let the ceiling somewhat darker. Add coloured emergency lights for example. Most of all try not to light every corner of the room with one or two light sources. Sometimes it good to add lights that only light floor or ceiling.

The corridors look rather narrow as well. Maybe widen some of them a little and add doors. pudgy.gif
  • N_RecoupN_Recoup Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36126Members Posts: 166
    There is a difference between ambient darkness and almost pitch-black.

That map is pitch black.
    user posted image
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members Posts: 7,019
    Is it just me or is that some really bad texture stretching I see there?
    O_O image
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members Posts: 1,115 Advanced user
    thats not texture lighting, hes using light entities for lighting.

i suggest you learn how to use texlights before you get any farther on this map, because using light enities for lighting not only looks bad but its bad mapping.
    QUOTE (unknown)
    Admiral, why dont we just breach the hull after overriding the automatic hatchlocks closing procedure?

Last time we did this an onos just put its fat **** inside the hole and lerks just farted a new athmosphere.
    It looked so gross that we decided to never ever do this again.

My Website
    NS Map Archive
  • ReebdoogReebdoog Join Date: 2003-09-20 Member: 21035Members Posts: 274
    Use texlights and high contrast lights, then you can keep dark areas and still be able to see some other areas.
    -Reebdoog-

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation Posts: 3,225
    You can have dark areas of the map around the Hives if you want (not in the Hive rooms, because Marines have to use them too), but MarineStart should not be that dark. If you want to keep some authenticity, just make some emergency lights that the Marines brought with them and put around the MS.
    you could also define some nice design lights to lit your scene.
    maybe something like this would be pretty cool:

user posted image

hm. I think I need vacation...

IPB Image
  • Tak3rTak3r Join Date: 2004-02-16 Member: 26625Members, Constellation Posts: 57 Advanced user
    edited June 2005
    My my Lt.Gravity. Thats sure an exquisite lamp. lol

biggrin-fix.gif
    user posted image :3am:Taker
    user posted image
    Hi all, I've (re)fixed the light in the map. Some screenshots smile-fix.gif

screen1
    screen2
    screen3
    screen4
    screen5
    screen6

Dont worry about the crates in the three lasts screenshots, I put it for the moment smile-fix.gif

PS : Lol Lt Gravity tounge.gif
  • cariocacarioca Join Date: 2003-09-02 Member: 20511Members Posts: 921
    your lightining source isnt looking real and true try create more light sources.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer Posts: 3,912 admin
    QUOTE (GiGaBiTe @ Jun 6 2005, 05:54 AM)
    thats not texture lighting, hes using light entities for lighting.

i suggest you learn how to use texlights before you get any farther on this map, because using light enities for lighting not only looks bad but its bad mapping.

This is not true. Texlights are great, but don't be afraid to use entity lights either.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members Posts: 1,115 Advanced user
    yes, but dont use entity lights to make it look like a texture is emitting light.

i like dark maps, but thats too dark. it still needs to be brightened up. go for something like the old ns_bast from ns 1.0
    QUOTE (unknown)
    Admiral, why dont we just breach the hull after overriding the automatic hatchlocks closing procedure?

Last time we did this an onos just put its fat **** inside the hole and lerks just farted a new athmosphere.
    It looked so gross that we decided to never ever do this again.

My Website
    NS Map Archive
    Some new screenhsots

user posted image
    user posted image
    user posted image
    user posted image
    user posted image

Here, there is a secret passage in the Ready Room marine.gif

user posted image

This way go at the Disco room smile-fix.gif

user posted image

And now, (it's not fnish yet) if the players go in the bad direction, the blocks go up and jam the players ^^
    This part of the map is greatly inspired of DarthRod's Sven Co-op map ^^ (my friend) marine.gif
  • coriscoris Join Date: 2003-07-08 Member: 18034Members, Constellation Posts: 2,064
    lol at the cs-crates from dust.
    LOL BLOG!
    also known as narc
    edited June 2005
    but he has got a secret room wow.gif

seriously... I dont know what to say.

the lighting is visible at least. but the areas still look plain. you should seriously work on a decent lightstyle. lighting is the alpha and omega of a nice ns map and not just like "well, I put some lights here and there and thats it."
    the hiveroom looks ok to me. the architecture isnt bad either. but obviously you dont get the idea behind the term "texture lighting".

IPB Image
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members Posts: 7,019
    It doesn't look super professional, but it doesn't look terrible either... has a nice gritty feel.
    O_O image
  • SlayerXSlayerX Poland Join Date: 2004-03-01 Member: 27028Members Posts: 39
    I'd say it's really good for your first Natural-Selection map. However, try working on lighting on your map. Try mixing some light colors to create a good atmosphere.

Natural Selection 2 Polish Community

Join us now, become a supporter!
  • nogoodnicknamenogoodnickname Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46172Members Posts: 480
    that looks nicely simple and grey
    real nick: RNG
    You should really have a go at creating multiple lighting systems around the map, like red mixed with yellow, or blue and green mixed with yellow or white. Creating multiple light sources with different lights helps create a very nice atmosphere.
    user posted image
    Ok I'll do this smile-fix.gif
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation Posts: 3,225
    QUOTE (N Recoup @ Jun 9 2005, 09:45 PM)
    You should really have a go at creating multiple lighting systems around the map, like red mixed with yellow, or blue and green mixed with yellow or white. Creating multiple light sources with different lights helps create a very nice atmosphere.

Yeah but it's a ***** to get just right.

Unfortunetely it's the only way sad-fix.gif
    Its not terribly hard. Just get the textlights to work, and mix in some very different colors. Any color goes with white, so thats a good start right there.
    user posted image