Trouble With Ports On A Dedicated Server

PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
Alright.

So I'm new to Linux. I'm running Redhat 9, and I've got everything installed that I need for the dedicated server. I actually used the setup guide written by Vadakill (I extend my thanks, it was a huge help).

When I type in

"./hlds_run -game ns +exec server.cfg +ip xx.xxx.xxx.xxx +port 27015 +maxplayers 12 +map ns_eclipse"

I get the following error.

"FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Couldn't allocate dedicated server IP port 27015."

The server is behind a router, and port forwarding is working correctly. I have tried other ports in the same range, and some out of range as well, like 10000 just for kicks, and nothing seems to work. I know the ports I have tried are free, so it's not an issue of use. I've been searching for the solution for awhile now, and frankly, I'm a bit stuck.

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    take the +ip option off. hlds doesnt like being bound to a specific ip address.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    I actually tried that earlier, and it still doesn't work. It gives the server an ip address of 127.0.0.1:27015, and I can't connect.

Considering this is my first time making a dedicated server, what should I see when it is working correctly?
    I've been combing through other message boards, and tutorials for the solution, and I tried changing the ip address in my etc/hosts file to 192.168.1.110(which is the static ip I have assigned to the linux box), instead of 127.0.0.1. Now the server ip is displayed as 192.168.1.110 when I try running it, but I still can't connect. I think it is running, but just not correctly. When I enter "status", it outputs the hostname, server ip, current map, number of players, etc. , but I seem to have no way of seeing it, or connecting to it through steam.

Am I headed in the right direction here?
    Alright, now. I think I've answered my own question.

It took a lot more than the following, but it basically boils down to this -

Changing the /etc/hosts file kind of did the trick, because it set the ip of the server correctly, seeing as apparently it was being grabbed from that file. However, my main problem was my static IP. I forgot to reset the network after I set it, so it remained as the ip dhcp assigned it. After I entered in "service network restart", everything has basically ran smoothly.

I can connect to the server through my network by entering in the local IP, but I can't connect through the outside IP, and it does not show up in STEAM. It says my STEAM ticket has expired when I go through the outside ip. Could that be a problem with my server, or the way I am connecting through it?

I don't know if anyone else would have this problem, because I don't really have anyone else to test it. But at least things are kind of up and running now.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    edited May 2005
    on linux, the server has 2 ip adresses. one is the 127.0.0.1 and the other is your lan ip. just use the command "ifconfig" in a command window to see your lan ip address. even though hlds says its using 127.0.0.1, its actually using the other ip address as well.

and the thing that says "your steam userid ticket has expired" means your trying to connect to the server through the internet games tab, instead click the lan tab and use the lan server list to connect to your server (if its on lan)
  • BorisBoris Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11636Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Pistachio+May 26 2005, 10:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pistachio @ May 26 2005, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can connect to the server through my network by entering in the local IP, but I can't connect through the outside IP, and it does not show up in STEAM. It says my STEAM ticket has expired when I go through the outside ip. Could that be a problem with my server, or the way I am connecting through it?

I don't know if anyone else would have this problem, because I don't really have anyone else to test it. But at least things are kind of up and running now. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can't connect to the server through the external IP address from inside the network as far as I recall, or you get the error msg you mentioned. As long as you can connect to it locally (192.168.x.x address), it should be fine. But you will need to make sure the router is setup properly, and that people outside your network can connect...then work on getting it to show up on STEAM (remember...this needs to refresh, and I'm not sure how often it does that).