Problems With Am

JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
edited January 2005 in Linux Server Support
<div class="IPBDescription">ns_maps crash, and am-bug</div> I got few problems.

1) ns_ maps crash after they have been played random time. Usually few mins after the start (though once I idled like 7mins (someone joined to play with me) and the server crashed when I started playing (as marine); aliens got 3 hives, and lots/some buildings).

2) Admin_csay, admin_tsay etc. crash the server most of the time. If they don't, they won't show anything like all the other am-commands (except some few, like admin_map, which actually works). So basically most of the adminmod commands are useless. Commands like timeleft, slap, says don't work but admin_map, reload, rcon (basic ones) etc. work. I guess all those non-working command are in the plugins, but the plugins are are successfully loaded and there's no useful debug information in the console either. I've downloaded and reinstalled steam, ns and am to make sure none of the files are corrupt. Atleast I highly believe so.

When the admin_*say crashes, the error following.
<!--c1--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>CODE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='CODE'><!--ec1-->FATAL ERROR (shutting down): NUM_FOR_EDICT: bad pointer<!--c2--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--ec2-->

Other (maybe) useful things:

<b>Specs</b>
Cpu: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ TB-A
Mem: 256MB 333Mhz DDR
Mob: Soltek SL-75DRV5
Hdd: 20G IBM, 6GB Fujitsu

<b>Versions</b>
Gentoo Linux 2004.3 w/ 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 kernel.
L 01/12/2005 - 22:22:30: Admin Mod version 2.50.60 (MM,mysql)
L 01/12/2005 - 22:22:30: * Plugin # 1: Admin Base Plugin (v. 2.50.13)
Metamod v1.17.3p14 2004/11/27

<b>Configs</b>
./hlds_run -game ns -nojoy -noipx -autoupdate -pingboost 1 +maxplayers 14 +port 28000 +map ns_nothing +mapchangecfgfile public.cfg +log on

Am-cfg is edited. I got server.cfg which is executed in the beginning of public.cfg. I don't believe there's anything important in cfgs, but I can get them if anyone wants.

<b>Cpu/Mem</b>
Cpu(s): 8.7% us, 2.7% sy, 0.0% ni, 88.3% id, 0.0% wa, 0.3% hi, 0.0% si
Mem: 253272k total, 226116k used, 27156k free, 9140k buffers
Swap: 506036k total, 86496k used, 419540k free, 68756k cached

<b>Connection</b>
10/10 Vdsl. No bandwidth prob, except randomly 1-10% packet loss.

Any help highly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• VadakillVadakill The Almighty BSO Join Date: 2002-04-02 Member: 373Members, NS1 Playtester
    I haven't tried installing and running adminMod for a long time. I wish I could be more helpful, but I didn't want to leave the thread unanswered. Maybe someone with experience with this version of AdminMod will be able to answer your question.

Have you tried searching on the AM forums?
  • BorisBoris Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11636Members
    I found similer problems the other day when I tried installing AM on a test server - I was used to using AM exclusively on past servers such as NS v1.04.

You could try to work through the problems, searching the www for any signs of help...but if you don't necessarily need to run AM, I suggest just to install AMXMod as it seems to work fine (I haven't tested every single outcome, but I have yet to find a way to break the server)

I use to be hardcore AM as it was supposedly simpler and less stressful on the machine...but I'm sure the difference between AM and AMX is minimal - and the headache and frustration you avoid by conforming to AMX is probably worth it!

Good Luck!

PS If you do find some solution to the problem, do post it here! I recall going on a server not too long ago that was running adminmod, but I may have been wrong or they may have severely tampered with it to get it running.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited January 2005
    Well it seems I have to try AMX. Too bad, I've used am all the time I've been serveradmin (since 1.x) and I got my am perfectly configured.

btw. I've tied am-forums, there was one topic but without any results.

Thanks anyways.

ps. Is 256 Mb enough memory for ns_maps. Can I compensate it somehow; swap is bad?
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited January 2005
    AmxX works very well for me. No more crashing or bugs. The only prob is latency. If I get another 256-block (so it's 512MB) will it be enough when the server is running:

So with
    Amx Athlon XP 2200+ TB-A
    Two 256MB 266 Mhz blocks
    is it enough to run 14 players with ~40 pings?

Correct if I am wrong but sleeping processes don't need cpu (only RAM)? Usually there're only 1-2 prcoesses running and others sleeping.
  • modiemodie Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13758Members, Constellation
    think of it this way...more ram never makes a server go slower.