People That See Cloaking

SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
This annoys me, people can say that they can clearly say that they can see cloakers but how its that possible without uber gamma to the point of being blind?

I mean sure I bet you could see a cloaker as he turned, as you would see the slightest movements of the edge of the model move.

But for a person to see a cloaker with out him moving is just wrong, this happened to me a while ago, I would cloak and he would come by and look directly at me and already start firing before I could react.

To sum it down, for those of you that have this 'odd' ability, I'd like a screenshot of you looking at a cloaker to see if it really is that noticeable.

Comments

• ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    edited January 2005
    I can do it without adjusting my gamma. Not only do I know how to do it but I can and have trained others to do it. I mean I won't see the cloaker 100% of the time but a good number of times I will, especially if I know that there's aliens going around with cloak. You just have to look for the blurry outline. Get a friend to practice sneaking up on you in an empty server. Look with your pistol out and shoot him when you see him, it just takes practice.

It's also a lot easier to see cloakers when they're moving opposed to standing still.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-SinSpawn+Jan 22 2005, 01:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SinSpawn @ Jan 22 2005, 01:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> This annoys me, people can say that they can clearly say that they can see cloakers but how its that possible without uber gamma to the point of being blind?

I mean sure I bet you could see a cloaker as he turned, as you would see the slightest movements of the edge of the model move.

But for a person to see a cloaker with out him moving is just wrong, this happened to me a while ago, I would cloak and he would come by and look directly at me and already start firing before I could react.

To sum it down, for those of you that have this 'odd' ability, I'd like a screenshot of you looking at a cloaker to see if it really is that noticeable. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Some people (Read: most) check common areas if they know they're up against cloaking, which means, at times, firing off a single round or two into those corners, vents or whatever.
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    Not that kind of random 'I know its the most obvious camping spot' i mean actually seeing a cloaker clearly as day.
  • ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-SinSpawn+Jan 21 2005, 08:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SinSpawn @ Jan 21 2005, 08:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Not that kind of random 'I know its the most obvious camping spot' i mean actually seeing a cloaker clearly as day. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And I can.

Add me to your MSN, when I get my communities server back up I'll train you to see them myself if you want.
  • SinSpawnSinSpawn Harbinger of Suffering Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8359Members
    edited January 2005
    i know that you can see the outline when they move slightly, I'm talking about if its possible to see cloakers straight away, amarine walks into a room and instantly knows that you were cloaked there, no MT, no flashlight, at an isntance he can pin point me anywhere where I hide as if I'm a big pink pinyata.
    It depends. Is the skulk cloaking there on the floor? Or in a corner in the cieling? Did you hear a noise as you enter the room or have no indication that there's an alien in the room at all?

The way you said it, unless you're cloaked right in his line of view, then no. Cloaking doesn't give off any sort of pheromones that indicate there's an alien there. It's just a matter of looking carefully and knowing what to look for.
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    100% cloaking in B6.

Wewt.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-DragonMech+Jan 21 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DragonMech @ Jan 21 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 100% cloaking in B6.

Wewt. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not according to the last changelog.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    edited January 2005
    Its been my least favorite part of NS for a while: Full cloaking == they can still see you even when you're standing still. Pisses me off, no wonder sensory is hive 3. Cloaking is my favorite ability and it is practically useless because of this.
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    tis a bit queer how people used to up their gamma back in an earlier version of NS

No queer isn't the word; PATHETIC is more appropriate.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2005
    I turn my gamma up as far as NS and my monitor will allow, yet it looks normal compared to other peoples' screenshots and stuff.

not that I've played NS recently in the past few months or so, but still.

and why is this in off topic?
  • LordyLordy Join Date: 2003-10-12 Member: 21627Banned
    with my onboard graphics card a while back I was capable of seeing cloaking almost perfectly
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-im lost+Jan 21 2005, 07:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (im lost @ Jan 21 2005, 07:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DragonMech+Jan 21 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DragonMech @ Jan 21 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 100% cloaking in B6.

Wewt. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not according to the last changelog. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In b6 if you're moving at a walk or slower, cloak is 100%. It's only less than that if your moving faster than walk.

I can see cloakers fairly well in B5. I've been playing B6 for days and have yet to spot a cloaker who was walking or standing still.

Air with teeth FTW.
  • AnarkiThreeXSixAnarkiThreeXSix x_x Join Date: 2003-12-31 Member: 24894Members
    If you sit there and hold your screen in the exact same position and just use your eyes its really easy..
  • jumpingjodajumpingjoda Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24367Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    A guide to seeing cloaked aliens:
    -) Turn OFF your Anisotropic Filtering in the drivers menu
    -) Turn OFF your Anti Aliasing in the drivers menu

Those 2 features on OFF will make you see a cloaked alien as clear as daylight.

Explanation:
    -) Anisotropic Filtering OFF will make the far textures a bit blurry
    -) Anti Aliasing OFF will make you see the edges of a cloaked alien better

I use those 2 methods and it works perfect.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-DragonMech+Jan 21 2005, 08:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DragonMech @ Jan 21 2005, 08:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-im lost+Jan 21 2005, 07:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (im lost @ Jan 21 2005, 07:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-DragonMech+Jan 21 2005, 05:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DragonMech @ Jan 21 2005, 05:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 100% cloaking in B6.

Wewt. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not according to the last changelog. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In b6 if you're moving at a walk or slower, cloak is 100%. It's only less than that if your moving faster than walk.

I can see cloakers fairly well in B5. I've been playing B6 for days and have yet to spot a cloaker who was walking or standing still.

Air with teeth FTW. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If thats true then b6 will be freaking awesome.
  • NakedDaveNakedDave Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33294Members
    just an fyi, I lit a skulk up bright as a christmas tree using my leet leet soundhax. I heard him stop going click-clack. Waited a few seconds, then unloaded where I thought he was.. and killed him. ^^

If you're perfectly still, have moved from your point of cloaking (gets rid of MT's advantage), and have been there for a while, that just means you're hella unlucky, he's hella good, or hax. Depending on the quality of the player, it could be any of the three.

Don't see the point to this post.
  • DefianceDefiance Join Date: 2003-12-01 Member: 23847Members
    lightgamma "1"
    texgamma "1"

Moniter Brightness and Contrast = max

I can only see them if I have my flashlight on them :o
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    Its not hard to spot them in the brighter corridors. If you can see a faint fuzzy blurry shape slowly moving towards you its a safe bet that its a skulk.
  • ChronoChrono Local flyboy Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18989Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-jumpingjoda+Jan 21 2005, 07:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jumpingjoda @ Jan 21 2005, 07:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A guide to seeing cloaked aliens:

Explanation:

I use those 2 methods and it works perfect. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and then turn down your resolution a bit so the jagged edges will show up even more
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-V MAN+Jan 21 2005, 08:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (V MAN @ Jan 21 2005, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> tis a bit queer how people used to up their gamma back in an earlier version of NS

No queer isn't the word; PATHETIC is more appropriate. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And you think it's gone now?

light_gamma still works but it doesn't go as rediculously low as it used to. Brightness and other commands still work and powerstrip and other similar 'external' lameness still work.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I shoot alot of cloakers because I saw them hide with motion tracking, that's the easiest way to do it.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    Ok, lets run through the basics -

The human mind is trained to pick out humans and human movement. If you arrange a set of dots and make them walk like a human, then a person will ID it. If you make a set of dots that move like a JCB, very very few people will recognise its motion.

Now, translate this to NS. Most players are looking for skulks, small doglike runners. Cloaking (at normal gamma, thx) just slightly distorts the background. If you use your flashlight, or the alien is in front of some steam/light source/etc then you can see its outline.

It gets gradually harder because noone really looks for a cloaked lerk/fade/onos. But skulks are very easy since you spend the bulk of the game looking for them.

Practice practice practice. Its sheer familiarity for most players. I don't think I've spotted a stationary skulk, but you can usually peg them when they're crawling towards/away from you OR if they're standing against the lights. Easy peasy.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <span style='color:white'>***Moved.***</span> Though, take all information herein with a grain of salt, since we're still finetuning B6 cloaking, which'll likely make a lot of what works now useless.
  • NGENGE Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22443Members
    Seems to me B6 is just changing it from DC first to SC first..

Guys, it's not "clear as day" but I've become able to spot cloakers easily because I TRY to see them. It's just another ability the player themselves can develop, like aiming and moveing.
  • obuhobuh Not Quite Smart at NS Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15072Members, Constellation
    B6 cloaking is a pain in the butt right now. Rejoice, pubstars. Though it is subject to be tweaked in a near future.
  • AndervalAnderval &lt;3 Join Date: 2003-05-05 Member: 16073Members, Constellation
    edited January 2005
    you can see cloakers in b6 it's still 90% invis when walking or whatever.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I actually see B6 cloaks better...

But for me, I don't change any settings regarding gamma, but I just crouch, and slowly strafe left and right while watching my screen, any slight variation: bang. Generally catches them before they're close enough to hit me.
  • aonomusaonomus Dedicated NS Mastermind (no need for school) Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23605Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-jumpingjoda+Jan 21 2005, 09:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jumpingjoda @ Jan 21 2005, 09:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A guide to seeing cloaked aliens:

Explanation:

I use those 2 methods and it works perfect. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well my video card is pretty crappy so I can't run those with decent FPS in NS, however I don't need much gamma, however my monitor is maxed; it always seems that its pretty easy to see cloaked skulks if you just hold still and look, its even easier if there are particle systems like steam or spore/umbra.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Actually, having those turned off is good for your performance.