Multiple Installs

microcosmmicrocosm Join Date: 2003-12-06 Member: 24059Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">One for Pub, One for mp_consistency</div> I installed ns to two folders inside my half-life folder: One in ns-custom, the other in ns-clean.

For some reason it only shows up as one game in steam. Even after editing the config files for both installs to change the game name from "Natural Selection (beta 5)" to "Natural Selection [Clean]" and "Natural Selection [Custom]".

Any suggestions?

Comments

• UrdUrd Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16696Members, Constellation
    Did you remmember to change the file name after you installed the first time?
  • microcosmmicrocosm Join Date: 2003-12-06 Member: 24059Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Ok now it shows up renamed and all, but it cant find any servers to match my names. I switched them all back to Natural Selection (beta 5)" but it still cant find servers!
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    edited November 2004
    Yeah, changing the name in liblist.gam changes the game type away from "ns". I just found this out while trying to play a demo. It says something to the effect of : "This demo was created in game 'ns' and you'll need game 'ns' to play it." You're having the same problem. Since Steam no longer recognizes the games as NS, you can't see any NS servers.

I don't know how to help you except to say that the only solution I could think of was to have two installs in two folders, one named "ns-defaults" and the other "ns-customs", and rename each to "ns" whenever I wanted to play that one. It's not a good solution, but it works.

[edit]typo[/edit]