Mouse Reports Wrong Movement

ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
edited October 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">if moved too fast</div> this is not an NS problem. it's a problem with mice in general but of course it affects play in NS and any first person shooter game. this should probably move to off topic but then nobody will read it.

i thought this affected only optical mice. i would notice i would get totally disoriented when playing with optical mice whenever i did a flick movement because of my great reflexes. the optical mouse would get totally confused and think i moved it in random directions whenever it was moved at high speed.

now i noticed my ball mouse kinda has the same problem. it's not as random but it can end up thinking i moved it much slower than i did or even in the complete opposite direction to how i did. i think i know exactly what is causing it. you know how sometimes when you're in a moving car and you look at the wheel of a car driving alongside you and it's wheels seem to be spinning in the wrong direction. and as the car changes speed the wheels may seem to alternate between spinning forward and backward a few times. all while you know it must be spinning forward the whole time. well i think the same phenomena is happening in mice. i took the ball out and flicked the spinners inside with my finger to make them spin really fast. i noticed the pointer and my view in NS would go in the direction i spun and then gradually go in the complete opposite direction and then gradually go in the original direction again.

it seems if you spin it so fast that it makes complete revolutions the sensor doesn't realize there have been complete revolutions. say you move it a whole revolution and 1 extra notch. the sensor will think you moved it only 1 notch so it thinks you moved the mouse really slow even though you moved it really fast. say you moved it almost a complete revolution but was 1 notch short, the sensor will think you moved it backwards 1 notch so it will think you moved the mouse in the complete opposite direction to how you really moved it.

at first i thought these problems i was seeing were caused by dirt but now i know the real reason. i was wondering if anyone had any mice that didn't have this problem coz i really need it to compete.

Comments

• AlcapwnAlcapwn &quot;War is the science of destruction&quot; - John Abbot Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17590Members
    i think thats called "negative accelaration" or something.

Short anwser: Get a logitech mx500 and a good mouspad.
  • KaMiKaZe1KaMiKaZe1 Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9196Members
    A good Logitech optical mouse with a 3M Precise™ Mousing Surface will cure all that ails ye.
  • SaltzBadSaltzBad Join Date: 2004-02-23 Member: 26833Members
    Odd, I've been pushing my mice to the extremes and never had a problem - not that I have any reflexes to speak of, but doing a 180 on low sensitivity would make any such problems apparent.
  • ViPrViPr Resident naysayer Join Date: 2002-10-17 Member: 1515Members
    edited October 2004
    to test the mice, clear a large space of desk and move the mouse really fast over it. with my friend's old optical mouse the pointer would go berzerk jittering all over the screen. he got a new optical mouse though and it seems to work fine. i'd like to know how widespread this problem is and i want to make sure i don't get a bad mouse. so could some of you do this test on your mouse and let me know how it went and what mouse you have even if it's a ball mouse.
  • TOmekkiTOmekki Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23524Members
    this happens for me also, suddenly the mouse will fly to point straight up (or some other direction). very annoying. happens in combat but also sometimes when lerking and flying around. has gotten me killed many times.

i want a logitech.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    My mx500 has no such trouble. Sweetest mouse I've ever had.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    A better mousing surface will help immensely with optical mice. I find a cheap, solid dark-color, textured mousepad works extremely well.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    generally, all the new optical mice, wired and wireless, have uninteruptable performance. if you get a new optical mouse, no matter what the kind, it should be perfect
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ahnteis+Oct 21 2004, 01:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ahnteis @ Oct 21 2004, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A better mousing surface will help immensely with optical mice. I find a cheap, solid dark-color, textured mousepad works extremely well. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can also use a piece of printer paper taped to the desk.
  • Blue_MaryBlue_Mary Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30921Members
    I have the same problem with my optical mouse....

But when it happens, I usually pick up my mouse, look in the sensor area, and see a piece of hair stuck in there, and I figure that the little thing of hair screws up my optical sensor.
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    My mouse does the same thing, mainly becuase I tend to drop it every so often off the desk. I would most likely say your mouse is fubared and just go out and buy a new one, which I need to do tomorrow so I can actually scrim and play well.
  • Gecko_God_Of_DooomGecko_God_Of_Dooom Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26353Members
    I told most of my clan to go buy a new mouse.
    Youll be surprised how much better youll play with a 600-800dpi mouse
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    Well since we are on the topic of mice. Whats a very good/strong/long lasting/doesnt break if you throw it at a brick wall optical mouse.

And no I do not want wireless cause all I need is "Batteries dead" while playing a game v.v
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-DuoGodOfDeath+Oct 21 2004, 08:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (DuoGodOfDeath @ Oct 21 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well since we are on the topic of mice. Whats a very good/strong/long lasting/doesnt break if you throw it at a brick wall optical mouse.

And no I do not want wireless cause all I need is "Batteries dead" while playing a game v.v <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Logitech MX510.
  • GrendelGrendel All that is fear... Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 970Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Playtester
    If you run low on system resources, this can happen.

Additionally, if you run certain games in DX rather than OpenGL, this mouse "lag" can occur.
  • TOmekkiTOmekki Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23524Members
    athlon 3200+/1024 ram/radeon 9600xt? nah, the mouse is the one to blame. and its not lag, the mouse simply flies suddenly to a random direction.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-ViPr+Oct 21 2004, 08:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (ViPr @ Oct 21 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> this is not an NS problem. it's a problem with mice in general but of course it affects play in NS and any first person shooter game. this should probably move to off topic but then nobody will read it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bad reason.

<span style='color:white'>***Moved.***</span>
  • TheMuffinManTheMuffinMan Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11234Members, Constellation
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Gecko God Of DOOOM+Oct 21 2004, 09:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Gecko God Of DOOOM @ Oct 21 2004, 09:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I told most of my clan to go buy a new mouse.
    Youll be surprised how much better youll play with a 600-800dpi mouse <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aye, for some reason i decided to buy a 2000dpi boomslang about 3 years ago. I never really noticed how much it improved my playing until i went back to a normal mouse for a while last week.

Best mouse i have ever bought.
  • ZelZel Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12861Members
    tasty MX1000

the first mouse to be advertised to have a real laser inside, supposed to have insanely high DPI ratings.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    MX510 and MX500 will suit your mouse need until the end of time if you don't mind having a wire. MX1000 is ironclad for a wireless mouse.