Captain Planet

marcemarce Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30869Members
edited October 2004 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">too liberal?</div> <!--QuoteBegin-imdb+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (imdb)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Barrett Reynolds
North Carolina

Date: 3 July 2001
Summary: Great Show, But a Bit Too Liberal

I've loved this show since it first began, and I continue to recognize it as a great teaching tool. But ever since I became a Christian last year, some of the really Pagan undertones of the show have bothered me. You may think I'm crazy, trying to say that a cartoon show can be laced with religion, but the chief catalyst of this show is the mythical Pagan goddess Guieya, and a show like this may inadvertantly make young minds think they should believe in and worship Guieya. There should be someone who can make an environmental show with no boundaries put on religious groups, or political affiliations. This show sometimes fails to portray the fact that the perpetrators of ecological crimes usually don't know that what they're doing is harmful. They aren't villains, they just need to be enlightened.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup. The pagan goddess Guieya. Not Gaia, meaning earth. No, that would make sense... can't have that...

A show of hands, please, who here watched Captain Planet as a child (or as an adult) and thought "Y'know what? I think I'm going to WORSHIP A TV CHARACTER AS MY GOD".

Villains aren't the only ones who need to be enlightened...

Comments

• EEKEEK Join Date: 2004-02-25 Member: 26898Banned
    "since I became a Christian"... GG religion...
  • marcemarce Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30869Members
    religion isn't entirely to blame. It must have been like this:

Idiot becomes christian, becomes idiot christian, and with that comes all the usual attributes of idiot christians (note: not normal christians like me who don't think that maybe the entire world is a conspiracy for satan and his communazi biker gang, as these are idiot christian attributes). Thus he is an idiot with conspiracy theories AND the moral high-ground.

I don't think he would have been as concerned if the show had been "laced" with christian religious ideals instead of "pagan". If it had been good old fashioned Christian lacing going on then it would be "wholesome".
  • eedioteediot Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13903Members
    Wait.. you're christian marce? A practicing christian?? [Like a doctor! Doctor of LIES AND EVIL]

Either way, they're just idiots and they use religion as an excuse to be idiots. The problem is, when they become religious/are raised religious, then that's an issue, because the nature of a certain few religions [especially Christianity] encourages them to be evangelistic, and also intolerant of other's people religions and beliefs [there is only one true god etc].

For relevence, bash #4753.
    in this instance, the main point isn't that he as a christian is being intolerant of other people's beliefs, but that there are no beliefs for him to actually be intolerant of in the first place. He has completely fabricated an entire conspiracy around a sect infiltrating children's minds through the use of an animated deity called "Guieya".
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet&#33; Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Captain Planet, too liberal?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i can't believe you would SAY something like that about me..!! T-T
  • HAMBoneHAMBone Probably the best Commander Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15139Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    not to defend or agree with whoever wrote that post, but Gaia or <a href='http://www.paleothea.com/SortaSingles/Gaia.html' target='_blank'>Mother Gaia the Earth Goddess</a> is an old occultist figure, and iirc they are pretty clear in defining her as a spirit or diety on the show, but its not very difficult to find mention of old occult dieties or have occult symbols show up prominently on tv, I dont see what that has to do with liberals. Christianity is also full of pagan rituals and symbols and stories and the christian holidays are the same days as the old pagan holidays.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-EEK+Oct 15 2004, 11:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (EEK @ Oct 15 2004, 11:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "since I became a Christian"... GG religion... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree 100%.
  • CronosCronos Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1542Members
    edited October 2004
    I worship at the altar of Guieya. every day. I am a devout Guieyaen. and I use only wholesome recycled things, organic foods farmed by my own hands, and water that comes from the rain. I generate my power the Eco-Friendly way, I'm pedalling at a rate of 600 RPM just to keep the computer running.

There shall come a time where I will be able to invent an eco-friendly spray that will change clothes to leaves, cars to trees and smell like pretty fresh flowers!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OHOHOHOHOHHOHOHOHOHOHOHO! EHEEHEHEHEHEHEheheheheh.. hehe. hehe. heh...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    edited October 2004
    Yes, let's all worship Guieya...? (Well, for the rest of this post we're going to use Gaia, because it's right and not moronic...).

Let's worship the scantily clad woman who roves around in her little citadel or whatever it is and tells people where to go to kill pig people and women with messed up hair dye problems. Even though she never presses any views besides, "be nice to the Earth!" and she's not in half of the episodes anyway...

Well, she's got my vote, because she gave the worst ring to the most annoying of the 5 ...planeteers. Damn, Heart? I mean... come on! What the hell kind of ring is that?

"I have the power of heart! The heart doesn't really have any power, especially compared to say fire, that can melt concrete...or water which can cause floods or anything, but I'll take it anyway, because I'm some poor kid with a monkey on my shoulder who's probably taking dumps down my shirt while I'm not looking."

Whenever I watch the show and see that the main villains motivation is just 'to pollute stuff' it gets very drab. I mean...they could at least look like they're trying to make money efficiently. But it's always, "Screw selling the trees we're deforesting to make money, let's cut them down and burn them and blow up stuff needlessly, to look evil!"

Err, wait, where was I?

Oh yea, Gaia...she's uh...annoying and stuff, she's probably out to secks up the Cap'n.

[edit: Heil Grammatik!]
    edited October 2004
    The Greeks personified a lot of things as deities.

Gaia is a feminine word, thus when you directly translate from greek, whether the author meant it or not you would be saying "and she was angry with the greeks" as they would use the feminine pronoun to describe "earth".

A lot of Greek deities grew up around such things. They personified like their lives depended on it.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This show sometimes fails to portray the fact that the perpetrators of ecological crimes usually don't know that what they're doing is harmful. They aren't villains, they just need to be enlightened.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just love how this guy thinks that a children's show should delve into the numerous shades of grey in the world.

"Ohh, that Captain Pollution: he's not bad! He's just misunderstood."
  • RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
    The fact that they had to make all the heros and villans revolve around eco-friendly plot lines made some of captain planet's plotlines insane at best. IE, there was this one where someone invented a machine, that was for cloning things, but Dr. Blight stole the machine, and then shot a kid with it. Why? Because she needed more workers for her sweat shop and didn't want to have to pay them. Dead serious. However, there is some sort of problem with the ray, and it makes the kid into a sort of bactera/locust kid thing - AKA, he is constantly hungry, and then he eats and then when he's eaten enough, he clones himself. Totally psycho. Especally some of the shots which show his village awash in clones and the ones of him(s) working in the sweat shop. Oh, and there are locusts too. Can't forget those. In the end, cap steals the ray back, gets the creator to reverse-engineer it, and uses it to zap all the clones. Then somthing incredibly stupid happens and that also gets rid of the locusts and that's the end of the story.

The other episodes range from mundane to completly insane as this one. Regardless of the enviromental messages in the cartoon, it's worth watching simply because some of the episodes are ironically somthing a hippie on an acid trip would probally think up.
  • laggerlagger Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1805Members
    Recycling kills our enviorment.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    OMG you guys, there are peopel out there hwo arnt cristians!!!!

COVER YOUR EARS, THEY SPEAK, NOEEEESSSSSS!!!!!
    <!--QuoteBegin-Redford+Oct 16 2004, 06:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Redford @ Oct 16 2004, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The fact that they had to make all the heros and villans revolve around eco-friendly plot lines made some of captain planet's plotlines insane at best. IE, there was this one where someone invented a machine, that was for cloning things, but Dr. Blight stole the machine, and then shot a kid with it. Why? Because she needed more workers for her sweat shop and didn't want to have to pay them. Dead serious. However, there is some sort of problem with the ray, and it makes the kid into a sort of bactera/locust kid thing - AKA, he is constantly hungry, and then he eats and then when he's eaten enough, he clones himself. Totally psycho. Especally some of the shots which show his village awash in clones and the ones of him(s) working in the sweat shop. Oh, and there are locusts too. Can't forget those. In the end, cap steals the ray back, gets the creator to reverse-engineer it, and uses it to zap all the clones. Then somthing incredibly stupid happens and that also gets rid of the locusts and that's the end of the story. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Woah.. that sounds incredibly burninatingly awesome. Now I have to build a time machine and go back in time to when I was watching this stuff... cool.
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Redford+Oct 16 2004, 03:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Redford @ Oct 16 2004, 03:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The fact that they had to make all the heros and villans revolve around eco-friendly plot lines made some of captain planet's plotlines insane at best. IE, there was this one where someone invented a machine, that was for cloning things, but Dr. Blight stole the machine, and then shot a kid with it. Why? Because she needed more workers for her sweat shop and didn't want to have to pay them. Dead serious. However, there is some sort of problem with the ray, and it makes the kid into a sort of bactera/locust kid thing - AKA, he is constantly hungry, and then he eats and then when he's eaten enough, he clones himself. Totally psycho. Especally some of the shots which show his village awash in clones and the ones of him(s) working in the sweat shop. Oh, and there are locusts too. Can't forget those. In the end, cap steals the ray back, gets the creator to reverse-engineer it, and uses it to zap all the clones. Then somthing incredibly stupid happens and that also gets rid of the locusts and that's the end of the story. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is MIND BENDINGLY FREAKY, I was just thinking about that episode and how messed up it was like 10 minutes ago.....

For my next trick I will bend this spork... with my MIND! I'll get back to you guys once its done.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    lol
    The Comics were enough to convince me there are fanatically stupid Christians in the world after all. This is just hilarious, he couldnt even do some research into the characters name before going off on his retarded conspiracy theory.
    if he'd gotten the name right, maybe he would have been closer to the mark in terms of the conspiracy theory...

<.<
    >.>
  • DefianceDefiance Join Date: 2003-12-01 Member: 23847Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-marce+Oct 15 2004, 10:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (marce @ Oct 15 2004, 10:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-imdb+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (imdb)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Barrett Reynolds
    North Carolina

Date: 3 July 2001
    Summary: Great Show, But a Bit Too Liberal

I've loved this show since it first began, and I continue to recognize it as a great teaching tool. But ever since I became a Christian last year, some of the really Pagan undertones of the show have bothered me. You may think I'm crazy, trying to say that a cartoon show can be laced with religion, but the chief catalyst of this show is the mythical Pagan goddess Guieya, and a show like this may inadvertantly make young minds think they should believe in and worship Guieya. There should be someone who can make an environmental show with no boundaries put on religious groups, or political affiliations. This show sometimes fails to portray the fact that the perpetrators of ecological crimes usually don't know that what they're doing is harmful. They aren't villains, they just need to be enlightened.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup. The pagan goddess Guieya. Not Gaia, meaning earth. No, that would make sense... can't have that...

A show of hands, please, who here watched Captain Planet as a child (or as an adult) and thought "Y'know what? I think I'm going to WORSHIP A TV CHARACTER AS MY GOD".

Villains aren't the only ones who need to be enlightened... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    rofl, what a load of crap.

gg retarded religous zealots.
  • DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
    I hate you guys.

Now I can't get rid of the stupid song in my head.

Now. Please. Suffer with me.

"Captain Planet, He's a hero. Gonna take pollution down to zero."
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I think it's basically saying "Christianism is a proper religion. Worshiping Guieya isn't"
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-Cereal_KillR+Oct 16 2004, 08:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Cereal_KillR @ Oct 16 2004, 08:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think it's basically saying "Christianism is a proper religion. Worshiping Guieya isn't" <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no, he's saying

"As a devout idiot/Christian, I strongly believe in television being secular, unless it is Christian, in which case: do and say whatever you want because PILOT KILLED JESUS."

EDIT: whoops already did that...
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    yeah, which somehow has the deep meaning I mentioned.

People can find religion anywhere you know. aka. Fade is Jesus, OHNOES§§
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    My hero has always been a quite different fellow.

Power of... CENSORSHIP! Power of... TYRANNY! Power of... ABUSE! Power of... ELITISM! Power of... CORRUPTION!
    Unite to form...
    CAPTAIN ADMIN!
  • SnidelySnidely Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13098Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-lolfighter+Oct 16 2004, 06:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (lolfighter @ Oct 16 2004, 06:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Power of... CENSORSHIP! Power of... TYRANNY! Power of... ABUSE! Power of... ELITISM! Power of... CORRUPTION!
    Unite to form...
    CAPTAIN ADMIN! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do not speak his name. He will hear you, and smite us all.
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
    I personally think Captain Planet was far too conservative, he never killed anyone and we all know any true liberal would advocate saving the environment through violent revolution.
    I VOTED FOR NADER! I HATE EVERYBODY!
  • PithlitPithlit Join Date: 2003-05-07 Member: 16120Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin-Dr.Suredeath+Oct 16 2004, 05:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Dr.Suredeath @ Oct 16 2004, 05:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I hate you guys.

Now I can't get rid of the stupid song in my head.

Now. Please. Suffer with me.

"Captain Planet, He's a hero. Gonna take pollution down to zero." <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    SLOW DEATH UPON THEE!!! I couldn't remember it until you made it available for all to see here... D:
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Pithlit+Oct 16 2004, 08:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pithlit @ Oct 16 2004, 08:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> oh yesss... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mine's better!
    <!--QuoteBegin-AllUrHiveRBelong2Us+Oct 16 2004, 11:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (AllUrHiveRBelong2Us @ Oct 16 2004, 11:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Pithlit+Oct 16 2004, 08:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Pithlit @ Oct 16 2004, 08:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> oh yesss... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mine's better! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    suuuuure it is...

does anyone have a clip of the captain planet song or opening titles?