The Hivemind -- Prologue Teaser

the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
edited September 2004 in Fan-Fiction Forum
<div class="IPBDescription">sample: reason why Project Orgin failed</div> The real database was destroyed obviously and thus why knows some of this important research. They/it was supposed to be a weapon, but um... well I won't spoil the whole story of mine just yet. I'll give you a little teaser from the boring scientific descriptions at the first half of the prologue.

````````````````````````````````````

<span style='color:green'><span style='font-family:Courier'>transmission receiving... received
please wait while your message un-encrypts... done
opening file...
loading settings...
loading preferences...
displaying message header...
[press any key to begin hologram video]</span>

<span style='font-family:Courier'>Project Daily Summary, file #2</span>
<span style='font-family:Courier'>Subject:</span> preliminary analysis of the species brought to us by USS Bast.
<span style='font-family:Courier'>To:</span>Separatist Govt. Leader
<span style='font-family:Courier'>From:</span> Project Origin Spy

<span style='font-family:Courier'>loading...</span></span>

The hologram flickered on to show the TSA logo and under it was a label: Project Origin

<span style='color:gray'>"Infiltration is complete, the facility is in our control now."</span>

The project leader was a tight-laced guy in a blue suit and although he grinned at his little jest there was nothing funny about this man. He had a look to him that made it see like at any second it would lash out and kill you. He had led a team to investigate the There was a lot of political and social tension during this time period. The UGSS government was just trying to further “put the squeeze on” the people in that galaxy, many of whom wanted to secede from the union. Intergalactic civil war was eminent. And the seperatisits in the galaxy wanting to secede were trying to form their own government. They desired to have a weaponry and technology edge in the event of war. Thus the Project Origin was founded, to infiltrate the TSA's little research project on Freya IV in hopes of getting weapons technology. The project consisted of some of the best minds in human civilization who had come together to explore a brave new frontier in science. What the scientist didn’t bank on was that they would be not investigating peaceful research as they had initially thought, but rather be held against their will to make a weapon of mass destruction. The research lab was much more like a labor camp than a place to learn. The seperatists were the ones really in charge.

<span style='color:gray'>“We have investigated and done early analysis of the species at Freya IV. We have completely mapped the genomes and are now on to the lengthy process of analyzing what the different genes do. But this would take too much time and the glorious revolution needs a weapon ASAP to defend herself from those vile milkies.”</span>

The Milky Way Galaxy’s people. Clear evidence of people demonizing the enemy.

<span style='color:gray'>“Taxonomic Classification: alien thermophilic archaea
They have both characteristics of animal and fungi, most ignorant people just call them bacteria but the genome proves that they are in fact, achaea descendants.

Troph Classification: They are opportunistic substrate feeders but can become omnivorous when they are in the separate unit form.

Life cycle: They have many different methods for reproduction. But have all of the following:
A netlike mass of filaments called hyphae; one hypha develops from a spore. Subsequently, it branches to become a mycelium. Anchoring-type hyphae are called rhizoids; penetrating hyphae are called haustoria. Often the hyphae are divided into cells by septa. The cell walls and septa of fungi are comprised mostly of a nitrogen containing chemical, chitin, which is structurally similar to a polysaccharide. At one time, fungi were considered to be plants. However, since septa have pores large enough to allow for the movement of large organelles from one region to another, they are not like plant cell walls; moreover, the fungus body is considerably different from what we consider to be typical multicellular organization of a plant. It is significant that the structure of the fungus body confers an enormous surface area, since nutrition is accomplished via absorption through the cell walls of hyphae. With respect to reproduction, fungi produce spores sexually or asexually; these are released and disperse easily. Sexual reproduction is via conjugation, in which hyphae from different "mating types" fuse. Mating types are genetically dissimilar but can form either male or female structures- hence, they are not different sexes. Note that there are no sperm with motile flagella in any of the fungal life cycles- since some groups formerly classified as fungi have been found to possess some motile flagellated cells; they have recently been reclassified as protists (e.g. water molds).
These beings are similar to that except they also have organelles the capability to develop tissues. When two infestation strain meet (each is haploid), and given proper construction aide from the gorge, the infestations grow a diploid structure. This structure, called a hive, is actually a special sessile unit designed specifically to make other diploid units. These other units can evolve into other being when they gain enough energy from food or from the aerial supply network made by a different kind of unit. A bulbous two legged sessile unit which is adapted to feed on the resource nozzles and carry out chemoautotrophic reactions to provide and store energy in molecular bonds. A special type of motile unit, known as the gorge, is designed to make the hives and the alien’s “resource towers.” So much energy is stored that Kharaa cells can purposely react all of the energy storage chemicals at once to explode the cells with quite a force. (skulks detonate their fat and muscle tissues to make the powerful xenocide explosion) This requires multiple hive units to process enough of the smaller storage molecules into this explosive plasticine macromolecule.”</span>

The project supervisor seemed very adamant about his findings but realized his audience couldn’t care less. The military wanted a weapon not this scientific prattle.

<span style='color:gray'>“We are working on constructing a new annex and allowing the Kharaa to grow again in confinement. We have the place monitored as a nice stable 30°C but at any moment I can release a large quantity of liquid nitrogen and the successful Nano-Penicillin. I will have that weapon for you in a week or less or I will start feeding scientists to the Kharaa.”</span>

<span style='color:green'><span style='font-family:Courier'>end transmission...</span></span>

````````````````````````````````````

Well as you all know, the project failed. You'll see why when I come out with the full version. If you don't know that it failed you can read on of the offical sources I had to check the prologue against for consistency: <a href='http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=55273' target='_blank'>http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/in...=ST&f=6&t=55273</a>

Comments

• the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    edited September 2004
    Where the scientific documents are comming from, I ended making a whole new project just to explain the necessary background info for my real fan fiction story:

<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='color:purple'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><i>The Hivemind</i></span></span></span>
    <span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='color:green'>I live, therefore I kill.</span></span>

Which will tell the whole story from the Kharaa perspective.