Ns 2.0 Or 3.0?

2»

Comments

• RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->NS 1.04 4 lyfe

[ReD] <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Amen

1.04 > *

ft [ReD]
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Wasn't that great, honestly. As nice as nostalgia is, there was an epidemic of complaint threads about 1.04 for a reason. People got tired of the games that version was bringing about, not just the bugs.
    To be quite honest Ness, I felt that 1.04 required far more strategy than any version that came after. Talking of balance, you cant say that a 3 hour game that goes back and forth between the marines and aliens isnt balanced. Games that didnt end in a 5 minute jet-pack rush were a hell of a lot of fun because it was a challange for both teams to get an edge over the other. Anyone who's played 1.04 knows that it was bugged, the argument I think is that while 2.0+ fixed various bugs, it also completely changed the play style of the game, planet half life even pointed out that each update completely changes the game play.

I enjoyed playing 1.04 far more than 2.0, 3.0, or combat, because of the game play, both on marines and as an alien. Not to say that 2.0+ has been all bad, I like quite a few of the updates since 1.04, however I do see why the original game play had to undergo such a drastic change from 1.04 to 2.0+. As far as I recall, most of the complaints about 1.04 originated from bunny hoping marines, and the jet pack/HMG rush. But I cant remember a single 2-3 hour long game that anyone from either team didnt enjoy.

Anyway thats just my two cents.
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I recall many threads/posts complaining about the "epic games", also known as standoffs. The games tended to last for a long while not because of awesome skill on either side, but due to annoying turtling, etc. Folks were glad when 2.0 came out, and I suppose rightly so. It was just blatantly obvious that people were getting sick of the "epic" battles and stale strategies. Gameplay just seemed to be getting tired around then. The only reason I ever look to new versions, personally, is because they mix up the strategies used. If I don't see a new version in a while I get sick of repetitive games and just stop playing for a bit.
  • JacKnifeJacKnife Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27302Members
  • NadagastNadagast Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6884Members
    yeah 2.01 was much better than 1.04
    turtleing sucks, lame strategies suck, bunny hoping sucks, turret farming sucks, spawn camping sucks, lots of things suck but if you cut out all the crap people tried to pull during epic games they were a hell of a lot of fun for both teams. look back at the complaints and I'll bet most of them are due to some lame tactic or strategy someone tried to pull, the game play itself wasnt the problem, it was the people playing the game.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    A "small" community boosted 1.04's popularity, basically because most of the people online were on the forums, and you knew eachother. Teamwork was used a lot of the time because of that, which made funner games that lasted longer.

I'm still on the 1.0x bandwagon. Although the new versions have fixed some bugs, they have taken away some of the fun, which by no means wasnt expected.
  • ForlornForlorn Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2634Banned
    <!--QuoteBegin-RedDragon+Aug 19 2004, 07:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (RedDragon @ Aug 19 2004, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> turtleing sucks, lame strategies suck, bunny hoping sucks, turret farming sucks, spawn camping sucks, lots of things suck but if you cut out all the crap people tried to pull during epic games they were a hell of a lot of fun for both teams. look back at the complaints and I'll bet most of them are due to some lame tactic or strategy someone tried to pull, the game play itself wasnt the problem, it was the people playing the game. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You just said, "Fix all the problems and the game will be perfect."

Good observation, chap
  • illuminexilluminex Join Date: 2004-03-13 Member: 27317Members, Constellation
    1.0x and 2.xx were both extremely fun versions of NS to play because classic Natural Selection was tilted just enough towards the aliens that marines had to work as hard as aliens do now to win.

3.xx is all about combat, which means that classic gameplay is boring and forced. I can't even play classic anymore because of its marine tilt. What's the fun in trying to play alien when you can't even get a bite in because some 1337zor ramb0 used his awesome LMG skillz and MT to take you out before you have a chance to drop down from your awesome ambush spot.

Oh yeah, don't even start on 3.xx's res system, which is "balanced" for 6 vs 6 (a stupid idea, since most pubbers love big, chaotic games).

Combat is the only reason 3.xx is worth having installed because of the unique twist on traditional deathmatch style gameplay.
  • sherriff_l0bOsherriff_l0bO Join Date: 2004-08-02 Member: 30308Members
    wow... i didnt no that 2.0/1 was operational on steam... maby i can actually PLAY NS now... hrmmmmm...
    (crap steam wont let me play NS 3.05/4a/4/3/2/1 Beta Bcause after 30 mins it crashes... *** STEAM)

ne way... yeah, i liked the 2.0/1 better, although i rekon CO is teh best...

CHAOS CONTROL RUUUUULZ... cya chaos (like ma thread omg ... 40 reps!!!!)
  • BobTheJanitorBobTheJanitor Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24228Members, NS1 Playtester
    A bump of an ancient thread to say nothing at all worthwhile. Don't do that.

<span style='color:red'>LOCKED</span>
This discussion has been closed.