Spikes?

2»

Comments

• SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-TheGlow+Aug 1 2004, 06:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (TheGlow @ Aug 1 2004, 06:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Now the fly physics are weird, umbra is weird. *sigh*
    <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes, because flying in the direction you are looking at is so much harder to use than that weird momentum-controlled air-jumping we used to have. and a support-focused umbra is "weird"?
  • TheGlowTheGlow Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9650Members
    Well, Im not used to having to aim umbra, so thats more time I have to spend looking elsewhere, like the floor.
    No dive bombing looking down and spamming spacebar to keep afloat.
    Just weird. I feel totally helpless as a lerk now. Compared to being demi-god back in the day. Just akward. I feel more comfortable as a skulk now, and I was never very good with Fades.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited August 2004
    learn and adapt or face extinction. Its a pure natural selection babeh.
  • TheAdjTheAdj He demanded a cool forum title of some type. Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28436Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    It amazes me how people still manage to post things that are totally unbalanced or make no sense whatsoever, especially regarding the lerk. First understand NS is both a first person shooter and a real time strategy game combined, a hybrid. As such examine the RTS portion. Lerks are the equivalent of a spellcaster. Think about all the spellcasters you've seen in RTS games. The most powerful spellcasters had not only spells, but a normal attack of some time. Not only does a lerk have a moderately powerful melee attack, it can damage enemies with an area affect spell that erodes both armor and health, but with an additional tech upgrade it can prevent 1/2 of the bullets inside an area of effect from landing. THAT is powerful. It can also evade bulletfire on it's own without a spell in the form of flying. This has tradeoffs in typical RTS fashion. One is the lower health/armor of the lerk, which is due to it's spellcasting ability (spellcasters are either physically weak/incapable of defending themselves or expensive, or some combination of both) and the fact that it can only cast so many spells in a time period (adrenaline limitation). Learn to accept limitations placed on units due to their abilities and stop whining about it. Now for the first persion shooter portion of the post. Bite is incredibly powerful compared to spikes. Ask the poor souls that regular the lunixmonster how nasty a lerk can be. I terrorize that server as a lerk on a near daily basis, and it's because of two things: bite and the flight model. Instead of complaining about how bite sux and the new model is sucky compared to the old one, learn to use it effectively. A lerk in the right hands is an early game harasser, a midgame terror, and an endgame finisher. Less crying, more adapting.
  • GhostBomberGhostBomber Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6910Members
    I don't understand why people are agreeing that spores can only be used for harrassment from a vent. That's totally wrong. In some games, when the marines have a phasegate/TF outpost near a hive, it's the lerk that makes the difference. Spores not only damage marines that're building, but especially in pubs, some marines will actually <i>leave the area</i> instead of building, simply because they're losing so much health. The comm has to medspam just to keep his marines in one place (using a ton of res), and the marines are all armor-less.

Yeah, spores sure do suck.
  • degamer106degamer106 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28550Banned
    YAH bring back the spikes plz. Teh lerk is meant for support and only needs to chill in a vent or somewhere and spore//umbra//primal scream//shoot from a distance. Not to become a flying skulk..
  • j3stj3st Join Date: 2004-06-28 Member: 29602Members
    yep spikes are fun (i just used spikes for the first time in a spike-enabed server)
    they are surprisingly accurate and takes a surprisingly small amount of adrenaline
    maybe more energy needed for each spike should be introduced to balance.

but the flying skulk idea is a nono IMO.. lerks die super fast when close especially to a shottie..even 1v1
  • degamer106degamer106 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28550Banned
    but it is a flying skulk..with spores and umbra...