US Congress/Senate Votes

ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">An english guys view/question</div>Okay according to the BBC site and this page in particular -> <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6129988.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6129988.stm</a> and of course my own limited knowledge of American politices.

That site says and reports that the Democrats won in virginia placing the seats at 49/49/2 right? So after/if the democrats push out and try and keep control as long as possible by making recounts etc. the Democrats gain control of both the House of Representatives and Senate? So in an unconventional way, the Republicans lose all power they had in the nation? And Bush is effectively quite screwed?

So am I spot on or do I need some more education from you fellow Americans? I just like to know what goes on in the world y'know

Comments

• TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Mostly the way it goes. Bills can no longer be shoved through to benefit big industry/big oil/the richest 2% of the nation while screwing everyone else.

Problem being, it's much the same the other way around now. If Democrats start pushing for bills that restore rights to the people, Bush can veto them in favor of big government. A traditional role-reversal, which would be very amusing if it wasn't screwing over the nation so horrifically at this point, and making americans out to be even more of jerks than we really deserve.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Ah I see. Rumsfield stepped down, FINALLY *donce*... and hm, what about Hiliary Clinton putting together a serious campaign for the next elections, possibly Democrats back in full control soon?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    The Republicans don't lose all the power, it's just more balanced now. You'll get the same sort of stuff you had back when Clinton was president and the House and Senate were all Republicanized, except the presidency has gotten even more powerful since then.

Still, no more rubber-stamping of Bush's agenda.
  • Gerald_R_FordGerald_R_Ford Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22544Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1574925:date=Nov 8 2006, 07:30 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thaldarin @ Nov 8 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]1574925[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Okay according to the BBC site and this page in particular -> <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6129988.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6129988.stm</a> and of course my own limited knowledge of American politices.

That site says and reports that the Democrats won in virginia placing the seats at 49/49/2 right? So after/if the democrats push out and try and keep control as long as possible by making recounts etc. the Democrats gain control of both the House of Representatives and Senate? So in an unconventional way, the Republicans lose all power they had in the nation? And Bush is effectively quite screwed?

So am I spot on or do I need some more education from you fellow Americans? I just like to know what goes on in the world y'know
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just to clear a few things up for ya.

it's gonna be 51/49 dem/repub because liberman and jefford (the independants) said they'd cacus (side to form a group/majority) with the democrats, so the democrats will hold majority in the senate AND house, so they can sit on top of the committees (where lots of the actuall action happens).

It's wrong to say the republicans lost <i>all</i> power in the nation. Not only do they have the executive branch (the president) under repubican control, they still have 196 seats in the house of representatives. While not a majority, they can still submit bills into congress and the senate and still work on them, it's just that the democrats could whip the party to block a obscenely bad bill from passing. The democrats could really set the course/pace of this country if they want to, they could pass or defeat any bill in congress. Bush will no longer have the ability to have his republican base in congress just make bills that he likes and pass them through congress.

Is bush screwed? There is a very good chance he is. It's just a matter what the democrats do while in control of the senate and the house of representatives. They could just block all new legislation, pass their own, use the committee's subpenoa power to force anyone into dilvulging what they knew about iraq before the war ( so they could make bush look REALLY bad), overturn the tax cuts that bush proposed in 2001 and make people pay it back.

so you were pretty close with your knowledge of our screwy system.
  • RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
    As of the final tally, the democrats have a majority of the senate, the house, and governors. In addition, not only do we stand to have the very first female house leader ever, but she is very vocal when it comes to hating bush and the current Republican agenda.

<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061108/pl_nm/usa_elections_democrats_pelosi_dc_3" target="_blank">http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061108/pl_nm/...ats_pelosi_dc_3</a>

Final Numbers:

Senate: 51/49/0 Democrats.

House: 229/196/0 Democrats.

Governor: 28/22/0 Democrats.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited November 2006
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah I see. Rumsfield stepped down, FINALLY *donce*... and hm, what about Hiliary Clinton putting together a serious campaign for the next elections, possibly Democrats back in full control soon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt hillary would win no matter who the repubs put up for prez, although I hope she wins the primary so Obama can run 2012. I think McCain could win against any Democratic nominee. I would vote for Obama over McCain but I think I'm in the minority. Long story short, I see it as unlikely that the democrats will win the prez, but that is two years away and a lot can happen.

**edit thinks one thing, writes another...