Self-made/custom Vs Branded Desktop Computers

StormLiongStormLiong Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11569Members
<div class="IPBDescription">So whats their differences?</div> As far as I have seen

Self-made/Custom Desktop - For those that can fix computer problems themselves and know about how to avoid overheating the computer in general.

Branded Desktop Computers - For total newbies that need the "support" provided by these companies.

Is it generally cheaper to get Self-made/Custom Desktops though?

I have always been stuck with branded desktop computers(Dells) and I always end up adding in my own components and reformating/upgrading the OS after a few days of use.

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    It's much much much cheaper to build your own PC. You lose support, expert building, a fancy brand name, and bragging rights to people who know nothing about PCs, but you save a copious amount of money.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Building your own pc makes you feel good inside.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    After much research into what is cheaper, at least where I live in Canada, it is cheaper to buy a pre-built machine nowadays. HP and such get such good deals on their bulk purchases and seperate parts are so expensive its pointless for me to build, which makes me sad cause I always have.
  • UnderDOGUnderDOG Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15221Members
    It also depends alot on what you want the computer for. If its an office computer or one for your parents or something by all means get a cheap premade. If you want a gaming computer it is usally cheaper to go custom made as most prebuilts are not very gaming oriented.
  • OttoDestructOttoDestruct Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7790Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Comprox+Aug 7 2005, 07:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Comprox @ Aug 7 2005, 07:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> After much research into what is cheaper, at least where I live in Canada, it is cheaper to buy a pre-built machine nowadays. HP and such get such good deals on their bulk purchases and seperate parts are so expensive its pointless for me to build, which makes me sad cause I always have. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Too bad the parts they throw in are total crap? Theres a huge difference between two sticks of 512mb of ram. The ones HP give you are low grade mass produced crap with crappy timings. The stuff you want to buy performs WAY better.
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    edited August 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Comprox+Aug 7 2005, 07:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Comprox @ Aug 7 2005, 07:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> After much research into what is cheaper, at least where I live in Canada, it is cheaper to buy a pre-built machine nowadays. HP and such get such good deals on their bulk purchases and seperate parts are so expensive its pointless for me to build, which makes me sad cause I always have. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Much like Comprox, prebuilt machines are cheaper in my area. But if I buy a prebuilt machine, I *know* I'll have to reformat it & reinstall the OS as I like it the moment I get it home, and I *know* I'll be opening it up to check the innards and make additions and changes as I like them. So I *know* I'm going to void the warranty on Day One, and the warranty is the best reason I'd consider going with something prebuilt.

So with no warranty to fall back on, if something goes wrong I'll be fixing it myself. And I'd much rather do that in a machine I put the parts into myself, from the motherboard on up.

Back in the day, I bought brand name because although it was more expensive, the warranty made it worth it.
    Today, I know enough that I'd rather build my own, because although it's more expensive, the familiarity with my own hardware and software makes it worth it.
  • KGB_GaralKGB_Garal Join Date: 2005-06-09 Member: 53476Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-UnderDOG+Aug 7 2005, 04:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UnderDOG @ Aug 7 2005, 04:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It also depends alot on what you want the computer for. If its an office computer or one for your parents or something by all means get a cheap premade. If you want a gaming computer it is usally cheaper to go custom made as most prebuilts are not very gaming oriented. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If it's for gaming I'd say definitely build it yourself because you're going to have to upgrade right away anyways. And if you do build it yourself make sure you buy the parts online because they'll be a hell of a lot cheaper (at least from what I've seen in my area). Although one good thing about buying from a store or whatever is that they usually come with a monitor and what not.