Winamp Using 98% Cpu

ZaggyZaggy NullPointerExceptionThe NetherlandsForum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Posts: 3,656 mod
didn't know my PC liked music :P
Scenario:

I downloaded Winamp full, copied all my music to my hdd in my usb hdd case.

I Selected my music folder and clicked Play with Winamp.

Then my CPU usage rises to 98% while the durations appears next to the songs in the playlist very slowly.

What can I do against the CPU usage? I already set the priority of the Winamp process a little lower, so I can at least do whatever I want outside Winamp, but Winamp itself is very slow now (duh).
imageProud Dutchman image
Join the Natural Selection IRC channel: #naturalselection on irc.gamesurge.net!

Comments

• JimmehJimmeh Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Posts: 3,173
    Although it won't fix your Winamp problem, I recommend you use Foobar2000 instead.
  • TheDestroyerTheDestroyer Tooobah Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18123Posts: 737 Fully active user
    Do you have all the cutesy things set high (like alpha blending, etc....that sorta stuff)?

I dont remember how much it used, but on my laptop, when I had all the cutesy options working, it would cause everything else to slow down.
  • SizerSizer Members Join Date: 2003-10-08 Member: 21531Posts: 368
    If you have a slow processor, then having alpha blending enabled and timer resolution set high will slow down your system. I went from a 1ghz Thunderbird to a 2ghz Clawhammer and it isn't an issue these days.

WMP10 is all I use unless I want to play something that demands a Winamp plugin. The sound quality is noticably better than Winamp 5's.
    We need more FF enabled NS servers. DoD TK'ing is no longer fun (-_-;
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The NetherlandsForum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Posts: 3,656 mod
    Where could I find said options?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The NetherlandsForum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Posts: 3,656 mod
    I switched to Winamp Lite, bye bye problem...
  • RustySpoonRustySpoon Members Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18069Posts: 994
    I Selected my music folder and clicked Play with Winamp.
    ¨

That's most probably the problem. Your music folder must be pretty big, and making winamp play all of it is pretty intensive, since it has to check the tags and add them all into the library.

Try manually adding your music folder from the music library screen. Give it a few moments to add it all. Should solve it.
    IPB Image
  • UnCriticalUnCritical Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 73Posts: 491
    I don't use winamp anymore, but there used to be an option to read id3 tags either a) all at once, b) when the song appears on the playlist or c) when the song is played.
    My guess is you're using option a.
    Change to b or c.
  • coriscoris Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-07-08 Member: 18034Posts: 2,063
    QUOTE (Jimmeh @ May 7 2005, 12:25 PM)
    Although it won't fix your Winamp problem, I recommend you use Foobar2000 instead.

What is so good about foobar? I use it too, but I fail to see why its so much better than winamp.
    LOL BLOG!
    also known as narc
    Foobar plays about everything, I haven't poked around with it a lot, I should though.

And indeed my music folder is large:10GB
  • Mad_ManMad_Man Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17359Posts: 434
    QUOTE (Zaggy @ May 7 2005, 11:37 AM)
    Foobar plays about everything, I haven't poked around with it a lot, I should though.

And indeed my music folder is large:10GB

Thats not too big =/
    Im at 43 gigs and foobar runs it all at once with hardly any slow down
    WARNING: My spelling is atrocious
    user posted image
    I know I know tounge.gif it's not gargantuan.

I'm going to try foobar now tounge.gif
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE (coris @ May 7 2005, 11:35 AM)
    QUOTE (Jimmeh @ May 7 2005, 12:25 PM)

What is so good about foobar? I use it too, but I fail to see why its so much better than winamp.

It supports every audio format known to man for one.
    Personally, the masstagger is my favorite feature. Native Replaygain support is also a big plus. And the fact that I can script the interface to look like This just tops it off.
    Anybody got a winamp skin? the interface is rather...ugly imho
  • CyndaneCyndane Members Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Posts: 3,010 Advanced user
    Hehe.. I'm running winamp 1.91.

No issues here. :-)
    Boce aan va viran doyvenda anadom emadende bukkean ame
    <Rev> That's because true leetness comes not from replacing letters with numbers and poor grammar.
  • CMEastCMEast Members Join Date: 2002-05-19 Member: 632Posts: 1,655
    Zaggy: Have a look out for MMD3, it has enough options that you can get it to match most desktop themes and in winshade mode with transparency turned on you can leave it on and never notice it till its needed.

Well it works for me anyway smile-fix.gif
    user posted image
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE (Zaggy @ May 7 2005, 12:01 PM)
    Anybody got a winamp skin? the interface is rather...ugly imho

download the columns ui plugin
  • OrganoXOrganoX Members Join Date: 2004-03-21 Member: 27473Posts: 837
    Zaggy:
    Do you use Modern skin when you used WinAmp?
    If so, try to change skin to classic one.

By the way, what version do you use?
    edited May 2005
    Zaggy:
    Do you use Modern skin when you used WinAmp?
    If so, try to change skin to classic one.

By the way, what version do you use?

I used the classic skin on the full & latest version.

download the columns ui plugin

Thanks, that's (at least) a little better.
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Posts: 2,669
    Protip: Get MMD3. It's by far the best Winamp skin out there.
    IPB Image
  • Private_ColemanPrivate_Coleman PhD in Video Games Members Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7510Posts: 2,412
    link.
    --->
    I N T E R N E T
    R A D I O
    Talk
    Industrial
    Punk
    RantRadio - 10 years of non-profit, ad-free radio.
    Don't hate the Media. Become the media.

• PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Posts: 2,669
  • Private_ColemanPrivate_Coleman PhD in Video Games Members Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7510Posts: 2,412
    Hmm ... cant decide between MMD3 and my ironically called "goth amp"
    --->
    I N T E R N E T
    R A D I O
    Talk
    Industrial
    Punk
    RantRadio - 10 years of non-profit, ad-free radio.
    Don't hate the Media. Become the media.

MMD3 can be configured to look like a goth skin!
    IPB Image
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Members Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Posts: 1,603 Advanced user
    agreed wholeheartedly, MMD3 is by far the best winamp skin ever created by man. bar none. go get it right now or i shall eviscerate you. messily.
    Well I got foo_look working now, yay at skins smile-fix.gif

I have read about a winamp 2.x skin emulator for foobar2000, can't find a working link/mirror anymore though :/
  • MintmanMintman Members Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16866Posts: 1,198
    QUOTE (UnCritical @ May 7 2005, 04:06 PM)
    I don't use winamp anymore, but there used to be an option to read id3 tags either a) all at once, b) when the song appears on the playlist or c) when the song is played.
    My guess is you're using option a.
    Change to b or c.

I reckon this is your problem.
    user posted image
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Posts: 4,708 Advanced user
    Why should you care what it looks like? It plays music, so unless you get a kick out of staring at your audio player while listening to music, I see no point to say that fb2k is ugly.

Seriously, how often do you find yourself with the media player (be that winamp, fb2k, rhythmbox or whatever)?

Me, I minimize Rhythmbox as soon as I start my playlist, then continue doing whatever it was I happened to be doing.
  • theclamtheclam Members Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Posts: 1,795
    Is there anyone out there besides me, who uses a classic skin? Personally, I don't see a reason to pretty up Winamp, considering how awful Win2K looks. Plus, 0% CPU usage and 5MB of RAM usage is always nice.
    user posted image - Avenger X
    I'll miss you.
    edited May 2005
    0% cpu usage and 8mb of RAM (when playing everything in my 8gb music folder) is fine. Windowshade mode is more than worth the extra 3mb.
    IPB Image