Ns:s Styled Map >>>lookie

aeroripperaeroripper NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471Posts: 2,423 mod
edited April 2005 in NS General Discussion
http://img165.echo.cx/img165/1687/test600058xu.jpg
http://img165.echo.cx/img165/1708/test600069us.jpg

wow.gif

EDIT: I just listed that 3rd link for the source, just to let everyone know i didn't pull them out of somewhere. But since it really doesn't matter, their in the hl2world mapping section.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Abaddon0Abaddon0 Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16169Posts: 204
    the 2 pics have the NS feel, but the link does not, no outside maps.
  • Mr_HeadcrabMr_Headcrab Squee!~ Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9392Posts: 2,223
    VERY nice
    Im not vicious, I just want a hug.
    user posted image
  • TwelveTwelve Members Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36044Posts: 95
    Mmmmmm, skulks in the shadows. Can imagine a group of marines walking down that corridor with flashlights on...very nice.
  • obuhobuh Not Quite Smart at NS Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15072Posts: 701
    Looks cool.
    Psalm 121
    1I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
    2My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth
    Psalm 145
    18The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
    19He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710Posts: 6,952 mod
    Pretty bare to really be NS-styled in my mind. More Doom3 or an oil refinery.
    IPB Image
    NS -=- ROOTS
  • TheJimTheJim Members, Constellation Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34080Posts: 352
    I like the lighting but as Talesin said its a bit bare but its a good start for a source map smile-fix.gif
    QUOTE (Toothy)
    When moving around the map, make sure you are never within 90yards of any other aliens. If you hit a mine and a pr0 player dies to a turret on the other side of the map, it is your fault.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Members Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Posts: 7,018
    QUOTE (Talesin @ Apr 26 2005, 04:12 AM)

Fine, I put you in charge of making the skulks wallwalking code work on those insanely elaborately architechted walls.
    O_O image
  • tjosantjosan Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Posts: 1,335

From what I've noticed, all the maps that are actually PLAYED and ENJOYED are "bare" as you put it. Gameplay over "reality".
  • SkySky Members Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Posts: 3,666
    QUOTE (tjosan @ Apr 26 2005, 05:03 AM)

From what I've noticed, all the maps that are actually PLAYED and ENJOYED are "bare" as you put it. Gameplay over "reality".

People complained when mineshaft and agora were taken out. Both kinds of maps are appreciated.
    user posted image
    QUOTE (Snidely)
    I guess their slogan should be "with a Trojan, sex will last as long as the Trojan War, with only a fraction of the eroticism".
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, SpainMembers, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Posts: 4,177 Advanced user
    This map has too many rusty textures, the NS maps tend to look more clean for the most part.

Also, no NS-ish lighting... tounge.gif
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Posts: 1,417
    Like subsectors new hive defence, in the form of the blinding green light of doom?! smile-fix.gif
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Members Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Posts: 7,018
    QUOTE (Mendasp @ Apr 26 2005, 06:33 AM)
    This map has too many rusty textures, the NS maps tend to look more clean for the most part.

Also, no NS-ish lighting... :p

I challenge you to do better!

just cause I would really like to see what you come up with anyways :P
    O_O image
  • HellbillyHellbilly A whole title out of pity... Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3931Posts: 926
    Looks good, kinda like a cross between Mineshaft and Angst.
    user posted image
    It is your opinion about my opinion, and in my
    opinion it is just an opinion
    [EUPT]
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Posts: 12,841
    Yeah, really nice feeling they've got going there. Who's the creator?
    And if I haven't seen further, it's because those bloody giants have blocked my sight.
  • guchiguchi Members Join Date: 2005-03-27 Member: 46624Posts: 24
    edited April 2005
    ns:s is going to rule!

someone should recreate some well known locations on the current ns maps...
  • aeroripperaeroripper NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471Posts: 2,423 mod
    Yeah, really nice feeling they've got going there. Who's the creator?

"ooghijmiqtxxa" on the hl2world forums, i posted the source link but somebody bitched at me
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Posts: 6,132
    Reminds me of a Paroxysm map ReNo made, no idea if that got included in the final release of the mod though.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Forum Moderators, Constellation Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Posts: 8,206 mod
    No NS map has THAT much rust :/
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, ArizonaMembers, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Posts: 758 admin
    architecture yes, textures no
    CDT Map Testing Lead and NA Playtesting Whip
    Steam / Watch live video from zavaro on Twitch / Twitter
    Have a bug in NS2? Report it in the thread! If you can, post how to reproduce it, or private message me on the forum!
  • MrBenMrBen ns_eclipse, ns_veil caretaker Members Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8575Posts: 1,119
    edited April 2005
    500 wpoly scenes with next gen engines FTW!
    nL-Benjamin - Periodic map contributor, forum troll, retired arrogant clanner and commanding guru.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 4,219 Advanced user
    QUOTE (Align @ Apr 26 2005, 12:17 PM)

not yet . . . .
  • aeroripperaeroripper NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471Posts: 2,423 mod
  • MavericMaveric Members Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1101Posts: 2,923
    QUOTE (Align @ Apr 26 2005, 09:17 AM)

Well, what if it's a underground base which has been saturated with water and a heavilly malfunctioning nanogrid? tounge.gif

I'd say it's about 55% to 75% of a NS feel... It needs ALOT more texture-based lights. (and as we all know HL2 uses primarilly the point-based "light" entity confused-fix.gif GG valve)
    *Secret message :: Maveric says he's quit playing NS!*
    is it possible to have textures that make actual light? (like normal lights you place in a map)
  • xtcmenxtcmen Members, Squad Five Blue Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Posts: 439 Advanced user
    Mineshaft anyone? Hehehe
    ns2_Jambi A Community Map

bklub | xtc
    xtcmen /(x)>
    Dead Penguin Society.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Members Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Posts: 920 Fully active user
    edited April 2005
    QUOTE (aeroripper @ Apr 26 2005, 06:51 PM)
    is it possible to have textures that make actual light?  (like normal lights you place in a map)

that's actually how most lighting is handled. You have a single entity that controls the color and brightness of each light emitting texture in your level, instead of an entity for every light point. (good thing too, since the entity limit is kinda low)

besides, it always looks better for light to have a visible source in the game, instead of just shining from nowhere in particular
    Just so you know, my 'A' BUTTON TRIGGERS THE Caps lock on my keyboaRD, SO MY POSTS are going to look funny until i caN PICK UP a new keyboARD...

QUOTE (Talesin @ Mar 7 2005, 10:46 PM)
    Congratulations, Mchief, on your first I&S idea not to be immediately locked. :)
  • DrummerDrummer Members Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Posts: 840
    QUOTE (Sky @ Apr 26 2005, 05:50 AM)
    QUOTE (tjosan @ Apr 26 2005, 05:03 AM)

People complained when mineshaft and agora were taken out. Both kinds of maps are appreciated.

really? where?

anyway, its a nice start.
    It's true. I love to crush the hopes and dreams of others, and feed off their tears.

--Cory
  • WhiteKnellWhiteKnell Members Join Date: 2004-11-01 Member: 32577Posts: 9

Yes, needs more rainbows.
  • echsechs Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Posts: 411 Advanced user
    All those pics need is a little mspaint lovage, place a skulk here, and an onos there, and an LMG instead of that pistol, and there you have it, an amost early glimpse into NS:S !
    Honelith
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Members, Constellation Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Posts: 3,225

Not really. Most of the ones they've kept look clean but some others like Agora and Mineshaft I wouldn't describe as having clean styles.

Considering NS takes inspiration from the Alien films and Starcraft amongst others, it's fair to say that the "truckers in space" motif is perfectly acceptible for NS mapping.

The main thing I think about when mapping for NS is the theme of the map. There can be clean areas for show and areas inhabited by the sorts of greasy engineer types who care more about how something works than how it looks.

I think it's potentially dangerous to start mapping for future instances of NS without decent information that will affect the gameplay requisites of the map. By this I mean that the mapping community would be much more prepared to start mapping for the future with some idea of the limits that will be imposed upon them.

Without an early build of the game we won't have onformation on what demographic the NS team are targeting (average system specs, gameplay type, etc.) which will answer the following questions:

How many entities can we use?
    Which entities are troublesome in-game?
    Will there be new entities?
    What wpolys and epoly limitations are there?
    Will there be alterations to either team in terms of mobility (player speed, size, mode of transport, structure-based transport such as PG/beacon/MC, etc.); weapons (flamethrower anyone?); etc.#

and much, much more.

If I were making an NS map for future play I'd be working on the general style and layout without going too much into specifics. Working on simple brushwork to begin with would give you the scope to add the detail once you have an idea of the next gen NS' limitations (and possibilities).