Computer Problem

Vahn_PaktuVahn_Paktu Join Date: 2002-10-28 Member: 1666Members, Constellation
edited March 2005 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Blank screen on windows cd boot.</div> Ok, I just finished building my computer:D But I have now reached a snag. When I boot from my windows cd to install it, all I get is a blank screen. I get text from the post and bios but nothing after it boots from the cd(except it flashes a msg "setup is checking your hardware" but then it goes back to the blank screen).

I have tried my Ati 9600xt and my old Geforce 2 but they it's the same. I have also tried both Windows XP and Windows 64bit install disks.

Did I forget to configure something somewhere or is my motherboad video card slot broken?

Specs:
AMD64 3200+
MSI K8T Neo-FSR
ATI 9600xt

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    Try taking out everything that is unnecessary for installation.

Off the top of my head you need:
    CPU
    Mobo
    Video Card
    1 stick of RAM
    1 Harddrive
    1 CD drive

Try that and see if you get the same issue.
  • JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    Is your computer set to boot from CD first? If not check the BIOS.
  • ZunniZunni The best thing to happen to I&amp;S in a long while Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 10016Members
    Bingo we have a winner.. not only is the CDROM a possible boot device but is it the FIRST bootable device..
  • Vahn_PaktuVahn_Paktu Join Date: 2002-10-28 Member: 1666Members, Constellation
    edited March 2005
    <!--QuoteBegin-Zunni+Mar 10 2005, 12:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zunni @ Mar 10 2005, 12:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Bingo we have a winner.. not only is the CDROM a possible boot device but is it the FIRST bootable device.. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have it set to
    1 floppy
    2 cdrom
    3 IDE
    I am pretty sure it boots of the cd because I get "setup is checking your hardware". and I don't have a floppy in it.

Spooge, I'll try that when I get home.
  • JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    Is your HDD brand new?
  • Lt_PatchLt_Patch Join Date: 2005-02-07 Member: 40286Members
    Vahn, A Windows XP CDROM is an auto-boot if one of the following is true (assuming the CD is in a bootable drive)
    1. You have no operating systems on your fitted hard drive(s).
    2. You have no defined, active partitions on your fitted drive(s)
    3. You have no drives fitted, or working.

If Windows XP Setup is getting to the "Setup is now loading Windows", which is just after the setup program finishes loading in everything that setup needs, then it's more than likely that your PC is hitting a STOP code, and rebooting before you can see it. Which is a bit of a downer, as Microsoft then can't tell you what might be going wrong with the setup. Common STOP codes on XP setup, are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, which can range from a memory problem, a CPU problem, a chipset problem, or a problem with either the actual drive that is reading the CD, or the destination drive (either an HDD, or RAM, which is most likely in your case), other problems can be a generic STOP error, which won't tell you anything, which could be absolutely bloody anything.

Things to try are... Removing any partition information from the HDD that you're trying to boot from, use a Win98 startup disk, using fdisk, and removing any FAT, FAT32, or NTFS partitions that are defined, then try restarting setup. Try your memory in a different RAM module slot. Use 1 module at a time, and try swapping them around if you've got more than one. Try another HDD, if you've got one laying about the place, like I do. Try another optical drive to read the disc, and finally, try getting hold of another XP setup disc. Don't use the ones from the dishonorable ship P2P, as most of them are incorrect Joliet types, and will screw up an XP setup.

Failing all that. Take the rig to your nearest small PC retailer, and get them to install XP for you, as they can try replacement parts, and RST your RAM, and run manufacturer's test on the parts. Nothing beats a full RST for finding faults on your RAM...