Recording Games

RustySpoonRustySpoon Members Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18069Posts: 994
How do people record videos from games?

I've been looking at these WoW PvP movies for some time now, and in some
of the credits people mention fraps, so I gave it a go.

The videos I watch are OK fps, but when I record it's literally below 3.

Do these people just have godly HDD's or am I doing something wrong?

Are there some other proggies that do the same, but are faster, or is
fraps's way the only one?

Help meh, I wanted to shoot some PvP raiding with the guild sad-fix.gif
IPB Image

Comments

• theclamtheclam Members Join Date: 2004-08-01 Member: 30290Posts: 1,795
    Are the videos 3 fps or is your gameplay at 3 fps? When I record with fraps, my FPS drops ingame, but my videos are still 25fps.

To get good FPS with Fraps, a really fast hard drive will definately help.
    user posted image - Avenger X
    I'll miss you.
  • UnderDOGUnderDOG Members Join Date: 2003-04-05 Member: 15221Posts: 1,349 Fully active user
    The videos will still apear a decent fps, but ingame while recording, fraps will drain your fps hard.
    Retired (?) from NS
  • CyndaneCyndane Members Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22913Posts: 3,010 Advanced user
    I have never used fraps, but I am assuming that after you get all of those .bmps you want a program to convert it to an .avi or .mpeg. If that is the case there are many free ones out there, of course we all have our personal favorites... but mine is expensive. :-)
    Boce aan va viran doyvenda anadom emadende bukkean ame
    <Rev> That's because true leetness comes not from replacing letters with numbers and poor grammar.
  • MedHeadMedHead Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-12-19 Member: 11115Posts: 2,730
    edited March 2005
    #hhmedia, a channel in which I idle on IRC is dedicated to Team Fortress Classic-related media, including demo recording. They've helped new users start out in the past (merely telling the users the names of the programs), and they might be able to help you out. I can't guarantee it, but it's worth a shot.
    QUOTE (Cyndane @ Mar 2 2005, 04:06 PM)
    I have never used fraps, but I am assuming that after you get all of those .bmps you want a program to convert it to an .avi or .mpeg. If that is the case there are many free ones out there, of course we all have our personal favorites... but mine is expensive. :-)

Fraps gives me an uncompressed avi file (it may be compressed, but the file size is so huge that it can't be compressed very much), rather than a set of bitmaps.
    I'll miss you.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. EnglandMembers, Constellation Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Posts: 2,309 Fully active user
    theclam you should use VirtualDub to compress your .avi files.
    I use the DIVX codec (comes with the DIVX player install) and
    there size difference is usually very good compared to the likes
    of .wmv
    "And so is the Golden City blackened With each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting. You have brought Sin to Heaven And doom upon all the world."
  • TestamentTestament Members Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Posts: 2,927
    Before you take any videos, learn how to compress and encode video correctly. I knew how to do this crap at 13, why can't people do it properly now? It's not difficult. If I see one more gameplay video in WMV, I might stab my cat in the face out of spite. Seriously. WMV is horrible quality, the compression isn't that great, and it's generally a crappy format.
    QUOTE (The Necroscope @ Mar 2 2005, 04:18 PM)
    of .wmv

That's what I do, but I use Xvid.
    I'll miss you.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Posts: 4,708 Advanced user
    I have a VCR and a composit video out on my video card. Best way rite there tounge.gif
  • 0blique0blique Members Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16477Posts: 312
    Yeah, I would suggest a video ouput and a VCR (or a DV/HDV camera if you're hardcore) to record videos. It won't slow down you computer, but of course, then you have to tranfer it to your computer if you want to do anything with the video.
  • MulletMullet Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15910Posts: 3,291
    I use fraps with WoW and it works fine. I'd say my average FPS is about 30...but my video card is pretty good (6800GT)
  • docchimpydocchimpy Members Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18266Posts: 1,210
    QUOTE (theclam @ Mar 2 2005, 04:39 PM)
    of .wmv

I used WinMPG once. It took my 700 Meg file down to 30 meg. And it didn't sacrifice too much quality. Althought I think I may have been dreaming, and that never really happened.
    user posted image
    Image above not doctored in any way. "Trendy" Marketing FTW.
  • Har_Har_the_PirateHar_Har_the_Pirate Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19388Posts: 1,306
    QUOTE (docchimpy @ Mar 2 2005, 08:12 PM)
    QUOTE (theclam @ Mar 2 2005, 04:39 PM)
    of .wmv

I used WinMPG once. It took my 700 Meg file down to 30 meg. And it didn't sacrifice too much quality. Althought I think I may have been dreaming, and that never really happened.

arrr mighty possible
    user posted image Never has one screwed up so much, with so little!
  • RustySpoonRustySpoon Members Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18069Posts: 994
    Yes, my gameplay fps drops to 3, but when I look at the videos, it still looks sucky.

The mediaplayers FPS was at 25 ( I had set fraps to do that, and I could see the FPS since fraps was still running) but the video itself looked as bad as the game had.

Do I have to compress it to make it look good, or am I doomed because of my suckity PC?
    IPB Image
  • SandstormSandstorm Members Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21205Posts: 411
    Are you running it at 640x480?
    QUOTE (DOOMGuy)
    You are huge! That means you have huge guts!
    Rip and Tear!
  • BaconTheoryBaconTheory Members Join Date: 2003-09-06 Member: 20615Posts: 1,299
    Maybe a good video card might help? I have a 6600GT and I get decent FPS when I record stuff. Also, the free version of Fraps only lets you record like 30 seconds of video. I've looked for something else, but I can't seem to find anything. If there is a program that lets you convert .dem files to like .mpg or .avi or something, than that would work, but beyond that I can't think of anything.
    user posted image
  • RustySpoonRustySpoon Members Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18069Posts: 994
    QUOTE (Sandstorm @ Mar 3 2005, 03:06 PM)
    Are you running it at 640x480?

That makes a difference?

I'm running on a 9100 saphire... sad-fix.gif
    IPB Image
  • KaineKaine Members, Constellation Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1096Posts: 1,018
    QUOTE (RustySpoon @ Mar 4 2005, 07:29 AM)
    I'm running on a 9100 saphire... sad-fix.gif

FAIL
    IPB Image g0t constie?
  • Har_Har_the_PirateHar_Har_the_Pirate Members, Constellation Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19388Posts: 1,306
    QUOTE (BaconTheory @ Mar 3 2005, 01:11 PM)
    If there is a program that lets you convert .dem files to like .mpg or .avi or something,

not that i know of, but usually recording ingame demos doesnt hurt your fps as would running fraps, just record the video in the games ingame demo and watch it while recording in fraps
    user posted image Never has one screwed up so much, with so little!
  • jumpingjodajumpingjoda Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24367Posts: 1,415
    Game Cam
    A great tool for ingame recording, many options.
    Runs great with WoW and supports compressing while recording.
  • DeGeneration_XDeGeneration_X Members Join Date: 2005-06-15 Member: 53909Posts: 5
    I just cant use fraps, i tried. And skplayer doesnt show you your opponents buildings. Where can i download beter ****?
    It make no sense! why there so few clans
    me want to play clan match